BC95XLT: Maybe dumb Question, scanner not receiving certain transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboConn

Why won't my Uniden scanner pick up transmission from HT both on the same exact frequency? Even when the two radios are feet apart...third radio picks up no problem so it's not transmission and the scanner picks up other local transmissions, so it's not the receiver of scanner? I'm new here I hope this is now the wrong thread...the HT is a Chinese radio but as I said it transmits to other HT but not scanner on the same freq.!!! Thanks for any insight.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have a Chinese radio (ht) close by and it transmits as signal that other radios nearby can pick up, but your scanner can't... Is that correct?

If so, what frequency, what mode of transmission (analog or digital) and modulation?

If the ht is near your scanner, is that channel on your scanner set to attenuation?

And finally, what scanner are you using?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It may be that the scanner and handi-talkie are too close… where the strong signal is overloading the front end of the scanner… but the scanner should still stop scanning. You may not hear any audio but the scanner should stop scanning? Take the transmitting radio into another room and see if that doesn’t help. If not, check to see if you don’t have a erroneous PL, DPL assigned to that frequency on the scanner. Or, set the scanner to Close Call Mode (with the proper band turned on) or Search and try it again.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums:
Never a good idea to key up an HT feet away from a scanner, it may desense the scanner over time. A few unknowns need to be filled in by you:
On non-receptive scanner (what model Uniden?), how is frequency entered: As a quick search entry or do you have it programmed in with PL tone as a memory channel? If the latter, try the former to rule out a programming error

JimboConn

Thanks for the reply's. The scanner is a Uniden bc95xlt I believe it's factory reset/ I have not programmed anything into it. Never plugged to software (it seems harder to work with this thing than figuring out a baofeng, but I got it for the band ranges others seem not to have) .and so far have only done manual and band searches. It 100% works picking up all different nearby transmissions I've heard air, police, and fire though now that I think of it it has not yet picked up anything when searching HAM. So, I manually entered a random frequency around FRS or what 2 way's use 465.462 or 455.4750 these are just examples and.. then on HT (which is also basically right out of the box) I enter the exact frequency, say 465.462 and did a test transmitting from ht...also tried going about 30+ feet away...nothing at all on scanner not even a click. (I am not scanning, It is on hold, the scanner only accepts 3 digits on the end so I also tried going up and down around that frequency...so I also manually programmed the same frequency on my other HT (radio oddity) and it picks up fine...and I repeated this process trying 3 or 4 different frequencies making sure the scanner was set on exact ones. Sorry for the drawn out description. I also found a thread hear warning about the damage so in the future I'll try again further away I just think this is odd. Could it be a setting on the Ham? It's set on low power which should be 1 or two watt.. squelch is mid. Sql on scanner I did turn up down and all around during the tests it did nothing.
Thanks

GROL

It is unlikely that a handheld transceiver is going to damage the scanner unless they are a couple inches apart and you transmit a long time at high power, but it can desensitize the reception which is not a permanent thing. Desensitizing means the RF amp is saturated with energy and cannot amplify a signal to be passed to the next stage. It can temporarily shutdown the RF amp in the front end and many RF front end transistors have a zener diode to shut down strong signals nearby, but the zener diode just clamps the signal to ground and does not open like a fuse. Once the strong signal ceases, normal amplification is restored. Get some distance between the radios. Take the antenna off the scanner. Are you sure the transceiver is transmitting the tuned frequency. It is possible you are tuned to a receive frequency but transmitting on an offset frequency such as would be the case if transmitting into a repeater. Use the Close Call on the scanner and see what comes up when you transmit and be sure to put the transceiver on the lowest power setting. Squelch on the transceiver does not matter.

wtp

Frequency Range (MHz) Step (kHz) Mode Transmission
25.0-27.995 5 AM Citizens Band/ Business Band
28.0-29.695 5 FM 10 Meter Amateur Band
29.7-49.995 5 FM VHF Low Band
50.0-54.0 5 FM 6 Meter Amateur Band
108.0-136.9875 12.5 AM Aircraft Band
137.0-143.995 5 FM Military Band
144.0-147.995 5 FM 2 Meter Amateur Band
148.0-174.0 5 FM VHF High Band, Federal Government
406.0-419.99375 6.25 FM Federal Land Mobile
420.0-449.99375 6.25 FM 70cm Amateur Band
450.0-469.99375 6.25 FM UHF Standard Band
470.0-512.0 6.25 FM UHF TV Band
806.0-823.9875 12.5 FM Public Service Band
849.0125-868.9875 12.5 FM Public Service Band
894.0125-956.0 12.5 FM Public Service Band

so it can get all of that and have you tried the local NOAA weather feq ?

JimboConn

Frequency Range (MHz) Step (kHz) Mode Transmission
25.0-27.995 5 AM Citizens Band/ Business Band
28.0-29.695 5 FM 10 Meter Amateur Band
29.7-49.995 5 FM VHF Low Band
50.0-54.0 5 FM 6 Meter Amateur Band
108.0-136.9875 12.5 AM Aircraft Band
137.0-143.995 5 FM Military Band
144.0-147.995 5 FM 2 Meter Amateur Band
148.0-174.0 5 FM VHF High Band, Federal Government
406.0-419.99375 6.25 FM Federal Land Mobile
420.0-449.99375 6.25 FM 70cm Amateur Band
450.0-469.99375 6.25 FM UHF Standard Band
470.0-512.0 6.25 FM UHF TV Band
806.0-823.9875 12.5 FM Public Service Band
849.0125-868.9875 12.5 FM Public Service Band
894.0125-956.0 12.5 FM Public Service Band

so it can get all of that and have you tried the local NOAA weather feq ?
Yes, as far as I can tell I've only been at it a few days...NOAA yes. Local airport yes. Police dispatches even far away come in the clearest, Thier repeaters I'm guessing. It picks up all kinds of things birdies/or nearby tvs buzzing I don't know. I search ham bands but there I also only get noises no actual talk yet...same on CB band actually, but not sure how prevalent that is in my area, but like I said only been a few days.

Im not exactly sure what tuning means or how to do it with the transceiver, but the test I did do, I made sure there was no (step?)/extra number on the end like on the HT input 462.460 instead of 462.4675 because I can't put that in the scanner, and put in the scanner 462.460 , and nothing. And again tried that a few times on like frequencies. that's when I was baffled. As I said the other radio it came through fine.
I will carry out the test GROL mentioned, and try the close capture and also I will retry the manual inputs again for redundancy sake.
Thanks

GROL

Yes, as far as I can tell I've only been at it a few days...NOAA yes. Local airport yes. Police dispatches even far away come in the clearest, Thier repeaters I'm guessing. It picks up all kinds of things birdies/or nearby tvs buzzing I don't know. I search ham bands but there I also only get noises no actual talk yet...same on CB band actually, but not sure how prevalent that is in my area, but like I said only been a few days.

Im not exactly sure what tuning means or how to do it with the transceiver, but the test I did do, I made sure there was no (step?)/extra number on the end like on the HT input 462.460 instead of 462.4675 because I can't put that in the scanner, and put in the scanner 462.460 , and nothing. And again tried that a few times on like frequencies. that's when I was baffled. As I said the other radio it came through fine.
I will carry out the test GROL mentioned, and try the close capture and also I will retry the manual inputs again for redundancy sake.
Thanks
The difference between 462.460 and 462.4675 isn't enough for the scanner not to receive it. The scanner isn't selective enough to reject it entirely and it would likely only be a bit lower in volume and worst case slightly distorted. You are not going to receive CB without an antenna tuned for around 27 MHz. With the stock antenna you might receive a CB transmission if it were a block away.

ecps92

but neither are valid FCC allocated frequency assignments
462.4625 or 462.4750 are the valid channels
The difference between 462.460 and 462.4675 isn't enough for the scanner not to receive it. The scanner isn't selective enough to reject it entirely and it would likely only be a bit lower in volume and worst case slightly distorted. You are not going to receive CB without an antenna tuned for around 27 MHz. With the stock antenna you might receive a CB transmission if it were a block away.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
You still haven't said if your ht is using digital or conventional transmissions. Many HAM repeaters are using digital now. Certainly not all of them though.

GROL

GROL said:
You still haven't said if your ht is using digital or conventional transmissions. Many HAM repeaters are using digital now. Certainly not all of them though.
The brand and the model of the HT would tell that, besides if the HT were transmitting digital, the BC95XLT would still hear the sound of the digital transmission.

In one post he said he entered 462.460 into the scanner, but he must have meant 462.462 which in reality would be 462.4625.. I don't think it will tune 462.460. If it is tuned to 462.4625 it would likely not hear 462.475 at 12.5 khz away. He should be able to tune the scanner and the HT to 462.4625 or 462.475. I wonder what is on 462.4625 that he is trying to transmit to. He should be aware that he is only legally allowed to transmit on 462.4625 if he is using a Part 90 transceiver and part of an agency licensed for that frequency, and permitted by the agency to do so. Volunteer firefighters do this and if the radio is Part 90 type accepted and their agency says okay, then they legally can. But I am certain there are plenty of firefighters using cheap Chinese radios not Part 90 accepted.

Last edited:

JimboConn

The brand and the model of the HT would tell that, besides if the HT were transmitting digital, the BC95XLT would still hear the sound of the digital transmission.

In one post he said he entered 462.460 into the scanner, but he must have meant 462.462 which in reality would be 462.4625.. I don't think it will tune 462.460. If it is tuned to 462.4625 it would likely not hear 462.475 at 12.5 khz away. He should be able to tune the scanner and the HT to 462.4625 or 462.475. I wonder what is on 462.4625 that he is trying to transmit to. He should be aware that he is only legally allowed to transmit on 462.4625 if he is using a Part 90 transceiver and part of an agency licensed for that frequency, and permitted by the agency to do so. Volunteer firefighters do this and if the radio is Part 90 type accepted and their agency says okay, then they legally can. But I am certain there are plenty of firefighters using cheap Chinese radios not Part 90 accepted.

Sorry about that when I posted I was only giving examples around numbers, as I am at work posting from phone..so I couldn't look exactly and then I changed frequencies a few times without writing them down or programming them...but making sure they were set exact on all three radios...how I chose was I searched which frequencies Cobra 2 way radios use, just to be safe...and I input a few of those for the transmission tests. As I said one of them was like 462.66750 but that cannot be input into the scanner so I went down to .670 .660 etc. (I apologize again now I am in my vehicle) The HT is a Btech 5x3 on all 3 radios you can not enter an invalid frequency, it will not allow....so would it not matter? Shouldn't I be able to hear a transmission on any frequency from a few feet away on a scanner?
And to answer the Digital analog question...it's a baofeng/btech 5x3
I actually have no idea. I have alot more time to spend with the manuals and researching. I used to be really into radios and scanners when I was a kid...this is my first foray back into them and into ham...and I got them mostly for listening as a study...but clearly I have alot to learn.

ecps92

Many of the older scanners did not display out the entire freq, but will/do RX them
ie: 483.1875 would only display 483.187 or real older would round off 483.185

As to a few feet away, MAYBE, depend on if the TX is overloading the scanner [making it deaf] make sure it is more than 2' away and you may get better results
Sorry about that when I posted I was only giving examples around numbers, as I am at work posting from phone..so I couldn't look exactly and then I changed frequencies a few times without writing them down or programming them...but making sure they were set exact on all three radios...how I chose was I searched which frequencies Cobra 2 way radios use, just to be safe...and I input a few of those for the transmission tests. As I said one of them was like 462.66750 but that cannot be input into the scanner so I went down to .670 .660 etc. (I apologize again now I am in my vehicle) The HT is a Btech 5x3 on all 3 radios you can not enter an invalid frequency, it will not allow....so would it not matter? Shouldn't I be able to hear a transmission on any frequency from a few feet away on a scanner?
And to answer the Digital analog question...it's a baofeng/btech 5x3
I actually have no idea. I have alot more time to spend with the manuals and researching. I used to be really into radios and scanners when I was a kid...this is my first foray back into them and into ham...and I got them mostly for listening as a study...but clearly I have alot to learn.

JimboConn

I did the test GROL mentioned. No go.
The HTs are listed on the box as analog.
I don't understand this.
If I put in 462.233 into the HT 462.23375 comes up.
So on the scanner I input 462.233 as I said nothing even with antenna off. So I tried 462.234 which I don't think is an actual frequency because you can not out that into an HT w/o it going to 462.23475
Also CC did not turn anything up. Any other ideas ?
If I ever find a solution I'll let you know.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.