MBTA ProVoice system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think that the MBTA will move off of ProVoice and go to a newer system like P25/DMR? Or will they always stay EDACS? I saw a few FCC licenses for NXDN on some MBTA rail frequencies with Aggiecons search tool, but havent heard any yet.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Eventually, but given how much it cost and how long it took to build that system out through the tunnels and rest of the area the T covers, it won't be soon.

You have an RID list?? And I still dont have PV upgrade but I got DMR because I use DMR more than I will use PV.. I'd still like to listen to the PV system one day..

garys

Premium Subscriber
Given the amount of money they need to spend on upgrading rolling stock, track, stations, etc.., I expect that they'll nurse the system along as long as they can.

But of course with the T, you never really know.

Better not be soon, I'd hate to have my RID list go obsolete..

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone think that the MBTA will move off of ProVoice and go to a newer system like P25/DMR? Or will they always stay EDACS? I saw a few FCC licenses for NXDN on some MBTA rail frequencies with Aggiecons search tool, but havent heard any yet.
Hello,

I recall it was over five years from when I first heard a control channel in 2006 until I heard testing of the system and eventually the system being used. I doubt they would give it up so soon.

NXDN is being used on some maintenance frequencies for the Commuter Rail, operated by Keolis.

73 Eric

garys

Premium Subscriber
I remember hearing about that system several years before that. As I recall, they put it out to bid in several different sections over a number of years. Which didn't make much sense to me, nor did the decision to buy an EDACS system when every other trunked system in eastern MA was Motorola.

It's the T, so it doesn't have to make sense. Originally, the police were supposed to move to the EDACS system, but they never did.

Hello,

I recall it was over five years from when I first heard a control channel in 2006 until I heard testing of the system and eventually the system being used. I doubt they would give it up so soon.

NXDN is being used on some maintenance frequencies for the Commuter Rail, operated by Keolis.

73 Eric

Worcester had an EDACS system too for a while. Now theyre P25. And decent coverage too, if your on a good hill... Same with Comonwealth cambridge tsys..

Apparently where I live it's a bad area for coverage of P25 systems. I can only pick up the major P25 TRS if I'm on the hill where my town FD repeater is. Really wish Worcester stayed EDACS.. but thats just me...

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Apparently where I live it's a bad area for coverage of P25 systems. I can only pick up the major P25 TRS if I'm on the hill where my town FD repeater is. Really wish Worcester stayed EDACS.. but thats just me...
Hello,

I heard that one high elevation site was eliminated with the switch from EDACS to P25, so the range of the new P25 system is reduced.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.