McMinnville Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostpirate

I have a PRO-84 200 channel handheld racing scanner but cant seem to pick up frequencies of the highway patrol eg., 42.420-42.360, 45.700 and the game wardens eg., 159.240 and 159.300. I beleive they have went to code or something. Can someone help me with this? Do I need a different scanner?

kf4lhp

n4yek said:
Game Wardens have gone APCO 25 digital but as for the THP they are still there in the 42Mhz range.

For THP, you'll most certainly need an outdoor antenna designed for low band. Handheld antennas just won't cut it with THP's system.

air_1

Around McMinnville, you can hear the THP on 42.42 and 42.26. The cars x-mit on the .26 one. I have an outdoor antenna, and it picks up THP cars pretty good within, I'd say 20-25 miles. I have locked out 42.42 because they talk too much. I can here the centers in Chattanooga, Nashville and Cookeville, and they talk constantly.

ghostpirate

thanks for replying

Am I able to buy the Apco digital scanners from Radio Shack? Please tell me what scanners to buy and where do I need to purchase them from. Once again thanks for writing back.

n4yek

ghostpirate said:
Am I able to buy the Apco digital scanners from Radio Shack? Please tell me what scanners to buy and where do I need to purchase them from. Once again thanks for writing back.
Yes you can, all the digital scanner Radio Shack carries will decode APCO 25, but they are expensive. Plan on spending about $500 bucks to get what you need. Sometimes they are on sale for less, just keep an eye open for them. They have both Hand-held and base units, depends on your preference.

Here is a link on the wiki that has a listing of different models of digital scanners, you can look at the specs on each and compare.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

Here is a list of digital scanners from Scanner Master:
http://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_Scanners_s/269.htm

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032072&cp=2032052
The first four scanners here from the Radio Shack website are digital.

What scanner would I get?
1) Hand-held: http://www.scannermaster.com/BCD396T_Scanner_p/01-501003.htm

2) Base Unit: http://www.scannermaster.com/BCD996T_Scanner_p/10-501050.htm

(Radio Shack has both of these scanners, but they want $100 more for them than Scanner Master)

Take care my friend.

Last edited:

ghostpirate

Thanks Danny

Danny thank you so much for the info. and keep in touch with me about new information. I think I have found a friend to talk to. Have a good weekend!

Jerry Holt
McMinnville TN
Warren County
avid scanner listener

ghostpirate

n4yek

n4yek,

Could you tell me where I can still buy scanners with cellular bands included? I had a Uniden Sportcat 150 handheld scanner with cellular band included which was 800-900 mghz frequency and I picked up cell phones with it. I monitored the police on their phones about the scene they was on and was wondering where I can buy these scanners before the cellular bands were excluded. My sportcat I had was pawned and I wasnt able to get it back out before it was sold. I want to buy the scanners with the cellular bands because now they are making them without it. Please help me.

n4yek

ghostpirate said:
n4yek,

Could you tell me where I can still buy scanners with cellular bands included? I had a Uniden Sportcat 150 handheld scanner with cellular band included which was 800-900 mghz frequency and I picked up cell phones with it. I monitored the police on their phones about the scene they was on and was wondering where I can buy these scanners before the cellular bands were excluded. My sportcat I had was pawned and I wasnt able to get it back out before it was sold. I want to buy the scanners with the cellular bands because now they are making them without it. Please help me.
Your out of luck my friend, unless you find one on E-bay or another pawn shop.
There isn't anything there to listen to anyway, Cell phone companies are turning off their analog transmitters since everything is digital anymore.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Shack scanners

ghostpirate said:

Like N4YEK said, the shack scanners list for $500. These go on and off sale for $399 every once in a while, and some folks are asking Store managers if they can have one for the sale price, even when it's not on sale, and getting it. Ask your RS manager if you can have one for $399.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.