Scanner suggestions in Montana

hughengelby

Premium Subscriber
I live in Great Falls, MT. We run a tow company and currently have an xts5000 that is ok, but does not seem to pick up as much and I thought it would. We are VHF, I’d like to be able to listen to the city police, fire, sheriff, and highway patrol. Not much is p25 but they have converted some. I am very very new at this handheld scanner stuff so I don’t know a lot. I just want to be able to listen for our rotations and know what’s going on. I had a buddy program the radio but I’m not sure if it’ll pick up the p25 phase 1 or not. If there is a better unit to have let me know! I’m also wondering about a good base unit to leave at the shop as well.

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
Great Falls is on the state P25 trunked system ( MPSCS). PD, Fire, EMS and some city services.
Cascade county sheriff and surrounding Fire/EMS are still conventional vhf.
MHP is also on State Trunked System.
The Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base would work well for you, they are expensive $649 and $699 respectively!
You can use Sentinel software from Uniden (free) for programming or use Proscan software it’s a lot more friendly.
Look in the database for Montana Trunked radio system, MPSCS, then go to Cascade county, Great Falls.
Other counties and cities around Great Falls are also on the state system.
73, Rex

Last edited:

Ace9133uwu

|-/ Nothing kills man faster than his own head.
Premium Subscriber
they are expensive $649 and $699 respectively!
Not today— go to the Uniden website. $584 today only.

With that out of the way, the SDS100/200’s programming can have quite the learning curve. There is an easier to read manual for the experienced and inexperienced alike. Honestly, best bang for your buck (especially right now) would definitely be the SDS100.

hughengelby

Premium Subscriber
Great Falls is on the state P25 trunked system ( MPSCS). PD, Fire, EMS and some city services.
Cascade county sheriff and surrounding Fire/EMS are still conventional vhf.
MHP is also on State Trunked System.
The Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base would work well for you, they are expensive $649 and $699 respectively!
You can use Sentinel software from Uniden (free) for programming or use Proscan software it’s a lot more friendly.
Look in the database for Montana Trunked radio system, MPSCS, then go to Cascade county, Great Falls.
Other counties and cities around Great Falls are also on the state system.
73, Rex
I just purchased the SDS100, after them programming it, it came to the tune of 900.00! But I would rather pay for someone who knows how to program vs me getting pissed when I cant figure it out. I would like to learn the programming at some point though. Thanks for the help! With the VHF channels, could I use chirp and program them into the anytone 778UV I have in the trucks? Not sure if you know much on those radios or not.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I just purchased the SDS100, after them programming it, it came to the tune of 900.00!
Who the hell charges $250.00 for programming??? Absurd. Sorry you were fleeced. There are a few "captain codeplugs" here on the forums who could have helped you do it for free. I hope for your sake that grand total included a paid upgrade or two

Last edited: