MCSO Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxbofh

So because I live in Washington county, and I'm familar with PPB - those are the two agencies that I listen to. I have almost ZERO knowledge or experience monitoring MCSO -
that being said, can anyone tell me the following:

What agencies are dispatched on "MCSO Net-4"? (as it is called in the RR Database)

How do their unit numbers work? (like with Washington County the SO units start with a 5xxx, and the Beaverton units are 6xxx, and Hillsboro is 1xxx and so on)
[That reminds me, I should submit those to the database]

Anyway, any general MCSO info would be great, thanks guys ! :D :D
Will

Milk213

I know a dispatcher who works in Multnomah County. I will ask him about the unit numbers next time I see him.

DickH

pdxbofh said:
What agencies are dispatched on "MCSO Net-4"? (as it is called in the RR Database)

I don't know where "Net 4" comes from. I've never heard it used.
Anyway, Talk Group 20816 is dispatch for Gresham PD & MCSO.
Don't remember the car numbers since I seldom listen to them - unless they're on fire. :)

Dick

mh34444

MCSO dispatch covers Gresham, MCSO, Troutdale and Fairview. Net 4 is what MCSO dispatch used to be called before BOEC switched to the 800 mhz system. Net 1 was Central Dispatch, Net 2 was East, Net 3 was North. You will still hear Service Desk referred to as Net 8. I believe Net 7 was a county wide car to car channel which has been replaced by tac channels (4 for each dispatch talkgroup, but 99% of the car to car traffic will be on tac 1 and 2).

As for the unit numbers... A little over a year ago MCSO opted to change their unit id numbers. The change seemed a little extreme since the old system made sense (patrol #'s were 10, 51, 52, 55 and 3000 series for sgt's), but since patrol makes up such a small part of what MCSO actually does I guess the admin guys can better keep track of their people.

All MCSO unit numbers start with 5, follow by the division they are assigned to, followed by their individual call or district number. District 10 is everything on the west side of the Willamette River that MCSO has responsibilty for, far northwest corner of the county, Dunthorpe and some parts of unincorperated Multnomah county along Skyline and Sylvan (you will hear 5P10, 5P11 and 5P12). District 30 is the City of Maywood Park. 50's district (3 of them) cover everything contracted or unincorperated in East Multnomah county, Wood Village, everything east of Troutdale to milepost 42 (Hood River county line) of I84, Corbett,, Dodson, Warrendale and everything east of Gresham to the Clackamas county border.

5A## administration
5D## detectives
5F## court services
5J## school police services
5M## river patrol
5P## patrol
5R## patrol (reserve deputies)
5S## patrol supervisors
5T## patrol traffic
5W## inmate work crews
5Z## jail transport

I have the full list of assignments but as far as monitoring purposes go, you'll only really care about patrol and marine. You will hear jail transports throughout the day and inmate work crews in the morning hours.

Last edited:

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
DickH said:
I don't know where "Net 4" comes from. I've never heard it used.

That's just because you're a newcomer here! :)

mh34444444444 :) has already given the background. However, the original talkgroup listing for Portland (that was generated by Collier Chun back in '92 or '93) had the main dispatch groups listed that way. I believe that list was the basis for the information here on RR (which, of course, was originally TrunkedRadio.Net). When I first attempted to homogenize the various lists that were running around for Portland, I merged names that people may have been used to - hence "Net 4 - MCSO/Gresham".

For what it's worth, the current programming calls the channel "MCSO DP". It's commonly referred to as "County Net" tho.

If you listen for any length of time, it's not unusual to hear officers (and the occasional dispatcher!) that slip up and refer to the channels by their "old" names. Usually it's the old timers that do it.

And for one last little bit of trivia, one of the city produced training videos for the 800MHz radio system shows a picture of a radio display on "NET 4".

joe

pdxbofh

freaking a -- I LOVE THE INTERNET

Thanks guys, that answer was better than I could have hoped for !!

Thanks again!!!

Milk213

You should submit that information to the database in radioreference for multnomah county.

pdxbofh

follow-up question:

What do Gresham, Fairview and Troutdale's unit numbers start with ?

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
pdxbofh said:
follow-up question:

What do Gresham, Fairview and Troutdale's unit numbers start with ?

Gresham is X1XX
Fairview is X2XX
Troutdale is X3XX

(I could have Fairview and Troutdale reversed, though).

the first X is either nothing (regular patrol units),
or 1 (traffic detail)
or 2 (special detail)
or 3 (sergeants)
or 8 (administration)
or 9 (lt's/chief)

4, 5, and 6 also get used but I am not sure what they stand for/represent.

8100 is the Gresham PD records desk.

last two XX are the beat and the car number, in some configuration or another that I've never been able to accurately decipher.

Sometimes, I hear them call for 151, 152, and 153 (for example), and other times it is 133, 143, and 153.

Maybe mh34444 can help us here too.

mikepdx

WOW! Someone besides me listens to MCSO.

Some MCSO additions:
5 Charlie XX are Civil Deputies
5 Edward XX are Search & Rescue
5 George XX are Gang Units (most often heard week-ends)
5 Henry XX have to do with hospitals - but I know not how so.
5 King XX - I believe are K-9's (needs verification)
5 Victor XX are S.I.U (a.k.a. Vice)
5 Yellow XX - I've definitely heard 'em - very rarely (but no clue)

Gresham is X1XX and 1XX
Troutdale is X2XX and 2XX
Fairview is X3XX and 3XX

41XX are Gresham Detectives

I don't think I've yet heard 5XXX series.
6261 etc are Parole & Probation
- other 6XXX series are probably other allied agencies.

Gresham PD's districts are viewable
on that city's website in the GIS (maps) section
if you tinker with the right layers.

A basic MCSO district map is available here:
http://www.portlandonline.com/police/index.cfm?c=37581

I'm hopeful that someone can finally come up with
a definitive list of MCSO identifiers and post them all.

Michael KC7UPW
Corbett, OR
Rural East Multnomah County
(Very content NOT to be within any city's limits)

Last edited:

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
so to really confuse everything....

IF Gresham, Troutdale, et. al. follow the same convention as the rest of the BOEC law agencies (dollars to donuts says they do...)

1XXX = Traffic
2XXX = Special Detail
3XXX = Sergeants
4XXX = Detectives/Investigators
5XXX = Outside Agencies (School Police, etc.)
6XXX = Outside Agencies (Parole/Probation, etc.)
7XXX = Reserve officers/Explorers
8XXX = Misc. Admin
9XXX = Command officers

I'll be scraping up what I can find about beat maps, and try to get something that can be posted here on RR.

joe

pdxbofh

ok - wow - and I thought Wash.Co. unit numbers were fun

(for the record, I think PPB has the most simple)

6= NE Prncnt
4= District
8 = Shift

ITS SO EASY !!! :)

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
pdxbofh said:
(for the record, I think PPB has the most simple)

6= NE Prncnt
4= District
8 = Shift

Well..... almost.

6 = NE Precinct
4 = "64" district
8 = Car Number
M/A/N = Morning Relief/Afternoon Relief/Night Relief

For example... 648M = Car 648, Morning relief; 648A = Car 648, Afternoon Relief

Unless an officer gets held over, or elects to work overtime, you usually won't hear the shift designator.

I've got a map posted of the Portland patrol districts now, which might be helpful. :)

But you're right. Portland is a whole lot easier to figure out than Washington County. :)

mh34444

This discussion got busy, quick! Some of this was already covered, but here is the rundown.

MCSO is the only agency that utilizes alpha characters in their unit numbers. All other agencies utilize a 3 digit number for patrol. Sgts are the patrol exception (4 digits starting with 3XXX).

Gresham and PPB follow the same basic numbering pattern.

(A little clarification on the previous postings)
1st digit is agency, 2nd digit is district, 3rd digit is shift

Agency-
1XX Gresham
4XX Port of Portland Police
5XX PPB North
6XX PPB Northeast
7XX PPB Southeast
8XX PPB Central
9XX PPB East

Shift numbers (3rd digit) for the most part are the same, PPB Southeast is the exception.
XX0-XX3 Day shift
XX4-XX6 Afternoon shift
XX7-XX9 Night shift
PPB Southeast utilizes the XX0 for the night shift.

Troutdale and Fairview don't utilize district assignments, unit numbers are assigned to each officer individually.
2XX Troutdale
3XX Fairview

Special assignments for all agencies except for MCSO follow the same pattern.
1XXX - Traffic (ex.1712 -- 1 [traffic] 7 [ppb southeast] 12 [officers individual assignment number]
4XXX - Detectives (ex.4302 -- 4 [detective] 3 [fairview] 02 [officers individual assignment number]

Milk213

This information should all go into the database section, it would really help out new listeners.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Milk213 said:
This information should all go into the database section, it would really help out new listeners.

You can find it here.

I tried to condense it and convey the same meaning. Let me know if it needs to be updated or revised.

By the way..... The Trunked System database is not designed to hold this data, so it is in the regular database under "Codes and Maps". I have added "Related Links" to the bottom of the Portland TRS page to aid in finding them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.