Medina County 700 MHz P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8TWH

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. We had no trouble at all getting 2-tone decode to work (although Harris does things kind of screwy); our issues are mainly related to false (or no) activations.

I concur on the G5 however. I have one and love it. The only issue I'm having is getting it to alert over P25; if the radio at the dispatch point has AGC enabled and the first tone "fades in" even slightly the pager won't decode reliably over P25. But since we're alerting over 800 MHz conventional analog it's a moot point, and if I could get those for every agency in the county I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I have already convinced about 3-4 others on my department to purchase the G5. So I foresee lots of pager programming in my future.

KD8TWH

Premium Subscriber
Users not waiting to speak after keying up is something they will get used to. Happens often when switching to a trunking system.

The paging and coverage issue is on the folks who designed the system. This system works great for Medina City because its simulcast, and they are surrounded by towers. Agencies not surrounded by towers will have issues. Radios not working in schools is a BIG problem.

As for the programming of radios, Cleveland Communications holds the system key. They will not share the key, and charge 50 bucks to program each radio. That $50 includes even making one small change to the codeplug. That and coverage issues are the reason Brunswick City and Brunswick Hills went with MARCS.
Well I overheard that it also has to do with the SO, not just Cleveland Communications.
The paging, I was told is not something the programmers were comfortable with configuring. However they did program it on the portables, but all it does is stay silent.
The coverage in the schools is a huge problem, even though we are close to the tower on Branch and the schools are about 5-7 miles away.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As for the programming of radios, Cleveland Communications holds the system key. They will not share the key, and charge 50 bucks to program each radio. That $50 includes even making one small change to the codeplug. That and coverage issues are the reason Brunswick City and Brunswick Hills went with MARCS.

I count myself lucky to be dealing with W/S Electronics out of Xenia. Their customer service is excellent and if something isn't quite right in a radio they programmed they make it right, promptly and efficiently at no extra charge. They're also very good about working with the customer to wrap as many changes as the customer needs into a single programming visit to keep costs down and hopefully not require return visits.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Well I overheard that it also has to do with the SO, not just Cleveland Communications.
The paging, I was told is not something the programmers were comfortable with configuring. However they did program it on the portables, but all it does is stay silent.

Kind of gives their programmers a black eye. 2-tone decode is about as basic as it gets.

If you have a copy of the codeplug ("personality file" in Harris-speak) and want to send it to me, I'll let you know where they went wrong in case you want to get them back to make it right.

KD8TWH

Premium Subscriber
Kind of gives their programmers a black eye. 2-tone decode is about as basic as it gets.

If you have a copy of the codeplug ("personality file" in Harris-speak) and want to send it to me, I'll let you know where they went wrong in case you want to get them back to make it right.
I don't have a copy, but I can confirm that the 2-tone over P25 works like a champ on the Medina system. (On my Unication)

MotorolaDave

TG 3056 active. I have recordings but wasn't able to pin down who it is/was.

Can you describe what was said in the audio? Unit numbers, dispatch name or possibly street names? I am very familiar with everything in the country. Might even be Hinckley as I know they were to switch soon.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll see what I can do. I captured the audio via a rmeote monitoring statoin adn will have to log in there and listen. I'm using DSDPlus to capture the audio, so hte audio doesn't sound that great -- not nearly as good as a scanner. But I'll see what I can dig up from the audio and let you know, Dave.

Mike

MotorolaDave

I'll see what I can do. I captured the audio via a rmeote monitoring statoin adn will have to log in there and listen. I'm using DSDPlus to capture the audio, so hte audio doesn't sound that great -- not nearly as good as a scanner. But I'll see what I can dig up from the audio and let you know, Dave.

Mike

Sounds good Mike! I will flip my scanner on when I get home and see if I can see who it is.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FYI -- only two radio IDs all day on TG 3056 -- 5203305 and 5203308 . i'm trying to figure out what they are talking about now.

Mike

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I have two talkgroups which I have been trying to figure out the department

I dont have audio but took some notes on what was being said

3114 Rids (521055, 5210591) talk about wiring a panel with specific colors to inputs and doors against layers. at one point the traffic moved to the fire interop 3103 and then back.

3660 Rids (5203605, 5203609, 5203604) Montville in route from glen eagles, whys the wadsworth car going through fox meadows 4000 block of grenich. Sharon copley rd

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
I think I can shed some light there.

Dave took care of 3660 this morning. It has been added as Montville Svc.

3114 was in the pile of held submission awaiting active use. It was submitted as Erhart FD. Is it being used now?

Status
Not open for further replies.