Memory Card For SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadman1977

I currently have the memory card that was included with the SDS200. I am looking to upgrade the memory card to 32GB. I am looking at Sandisk.

Should I go with the Extreme Plus?

Sandisk Extreme

Or the High Endurance?

High Endurance

Is Sandisk a good brand? Or should I go with Samsung?

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I have used the 32gb Sandisk Extreme in 2 of my SDS-200 untis and 1 of my SDS-100 units and my HomePatrol 2 - No issues - works everytime and lots of use. I think they are $10 on Amazon!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I currently have the memory card that was included with the SDS200. I am looking to upgrade the memory card to 32GB. I am looking at Sandisk.

Should I go with the Extreme Plus?

Sandisk Extreme

Or the High Endurance?

High Endurance

Is Sandisk a good brand? Or should I go with Samsung?
Quite some time back, the late UPMan, Paul Opitz, recommended High Endurance cards.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've had great service from SanDisk High Endurance cards but I really wonder if they're always necessary. All the high end cards talk about environmental durability rather than the number of Read/Write cycles. So unless your cards exposed to really high heat I'm not sure it they're going to make a big difference. I think the cards Uniden supplies are the cheapest they can source. In any event the high end cards are not that expensive so why not buy them?

I think the most common cause of memory card corruption or failure comes from not ejecting them from your PC properly while they are actively connected. By "ejecting" I don't mean physically but electronically.

If your scanner is connected to your PC via a USB cable and the scanner is in either Remote Control Mode or Memory Read/Write Mode and you turn your scanner OFF it properly writes to the memory card and closes the session properly. However while it's actively connected to the PC and you just pull the USB cable there's a really good chance you're going to corrupt it.

How to Eject a Memory Card from Your PC

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The San Disk Extreme looks like it is geared toward extreme conditions: "the Extreme PLUS can withstand up to 72 hours in 3.3' salt or fresh water, extreme temperatures, airport X-ray machines and shocks."

The San Disk High Endurance is for "your dash cam, home monitoring or security system will capture crucial footage when it happens, recording and re-recording worryfree. With capacities of up to 256GB, you can record and save more Full HD or 4K videos. It's built tough too - ready to record in extreme heat or freezing cold, and it's shockproof, waterproof and x-ray proof."

That recording and re-recording subject is what causes problems with SD cards in scanners, particularly when replay or record is active. So the High Endurance appears to be "more better". I'd suggest spending the extra $2 for this version. I did for my scanners as well as cameras because losing a shot because a card went bad was not an option.

Uniden stopped using the cheapo cards when they saw the failure rate and went to something a little more resilient.

If you buy one card, may as well get a second for a spare.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
X-Rays do not, and never have damage memory cards.

Ten years ago regular SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are capable of withstanding operating temperatures from -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC). ... SanDisk SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC memory cards are capable of withstanding up to 500Gs of shock.

Last edited:

Ubbe

That recording and re-recording subject is what causes problems with SD cards in scanners, particularly when replay or record is active.

Uniden stopped using the cheapo cards when they saw the failure rate and went to something a little more resilient.

If you buy one card, may as well get a second for a spare.
You can buy cheap or expensive as it probably doesn't matter with any of the cards that sell today. They are made for camera work where you record MB per second, and are specified to hold for many years of continous recording. In a scanner it's a thousend times less data rate, if you have record on. If you do not record then you do no write to the card unless you edit something on the scanner and then it's just a couple of hundred bytes.

If a SD card gets hot, people say that SDS100 can get extremly hot, then a high endureance card can take higher temperatures, if you leave a scanner in a vehicle in a hot sun or the cold of an arctic winter, and are a good investment. There's not much difference in cost and you probably will use that SD card for many years. But do get a spare one and try to keep it updated and together with the scanner.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.