Memphis THP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Taylornic said:
Was wondering if anyone in Memphis has tried scanning the 70mhz Relay Freqs?

Ahhh. I might be wrong..But I belive that is a "line of sight " system. If you are not in between point "A" and point "B" , You will not hear it.

Point to point Fixed ? Microwave I believe , Not 360 degree broadcasting like you think. I might be wrong, but I donot think so.

FF-Medic !!!

Taylornic

I'm not sure what is being used in Memphis. I was just curious if they were using the 70Mhz freqs in Memphis. I can't scan there, but hoped someone might have tried.

Airdorn

I've tried all sorts of ways of scanning the THP, here in Memphis -- including the 70Mhz stuff. I think I remember someone telling me those were some kind of relays you have to be lined-up with, or some such.

I rarely hear a peep out of them.. When I do, its always a dispatcher talking to someone that I never hear respond. I was told it's because of their infrastructure... you gotta be physically close to a cruiser to hear it.

Very frustrating entity to monitor.

Taylornic

Airdorn said:
I've tried all sorts of ways of scanning the THP, here in Memphis -- including the 70Mhz stuff. I think I remember someone telling me those were some kind of relays you have to be lined-up with, or some such.

I rarely hear a peep out of them.. When I do, its always a dispatcher talking to someone that I never hear respond. I was told it's because of their infrastructure... you gotta be physically close to a cruiser to hear it.

Very frustrating entity to monitor.

Same here. I have scanned every freq I have ever seen listed. I get dispatch traffic on 42.560, and can hear a car if it is local.

I also get intercity traffic on the intercity freq, but again, it's only the THP being heard. I hear THP responding to calls from all over District 4, including Memphis PD on intercity. I would think I should at least be able to hear Memphis when they call THP. So, I'm confused there as well.

I was just curious if there was traffic in the 70Mhz since I have'nt found much elsewhere, and if a beam would grab any of the signal on whatever freq the relay is on. Thanks for letting me know you have tried looking up in 70Mhz.

kfcrosby

Taylornic said:
Was wondering if anyone in Memphis has tried scanning the 70mhz Relay Freqs?

I used to live very close to "the beam" in Bartlett and could monitor the 70Mhz traffic. All Base to relay, no mobile.

Taylornic

Thanks for all the info. I was just looking for a possible new way, never hurts to ask.
Taylor...

RadioCopFFFR

The Memphis District does not use 70 MHz links any longer. They are using a microwave shot from the Memphis post to Arlington and then they shoot from Arlington to Whiteville, Ripley, Millsfield (Dyer Co.). The mircowave comes back to Arlington and then to the Memphis post. The sites are remote transmit and receive that are activated by different Pl codes. They do have some vhf activity in Memphis 154.755. They did have the lowband dispatch linked to 155.430 up to when the tornado blew the tower down. I do not believe that is it linked back up as of now.You can receive them but you do need to either have a base antenna or be close to the unit that is transmitting. Band specific antennas do help some if THP is all you want to monitor or if you have a dedicated radio to monitor them on.45.700 is the long distance car to car repeater that is at Arlington.There is very little traffic.45.6600 is the 7C Repeater at the Memphis Post it has limited range and is not used that often either. You may want to monitor 154.905 this the in car repeater channel. You may hear traffic on it if you are close and the trooper has his repeater on and is out of the car.Some of the troopers leave their repeaters on so you may be able to hear the lowband traffic come through if they have left it on.

Last edited:

jimg

Premium Subscriber
RadioCopFFFR said:
The Memphis District does not use 70 MHz links any longer. They are using a microwave shot from the Memphis post to Arlington and then they shoot from Arlington to Whiteville, Ripley, Millsfield (Dyer Co.). The mircowave comes back to Arlington and then to the Memphis post. The sites are remote transmit and receive that are activated by different Pl codes. They do have some vhf activity in Memphis 154.755. They did have the lowband dispatch linked to 155.430 up to when the tornado blew the tower down. I do not believe that is it linked back up as of now.You can receive them but you do need to either have a base antenna or be close to the unit that is transmitting. Band specific antennas do help some if THP is all you want to monitor or if you have a dedicated radio to monitor them on.45.700 is the long distance car to car repeater that is at Arlington.There is very little traffic.45.6600 is the 7C Repeater at the Memphis Post it has limited range and is not used that often either. You may want to monitor 154.905 this the in car repeater channel. You may hear traffic on it if you are close and the trooper has his repeater on and is out of the car.Some of the troopers leave their repeaters on so you may be able to hear the lowband traffic come through if they have left it on.
Can you advise what happened to the THP tower to post relay on 452.275 mhz in Murfreesboro? It had been active for years, but since about two or three weeks ago, I have heard nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.