Metrolinx/GO Transit P25 trunk vs Conventional NXDN

NS9710

Does GO Transit have a preferred use of their NXDN conventional over their P25 system, or vice versa, and if so, can someone give me an explanation of when one is preferred over the other, I’m a mile or so from the US CBP station, I can get the P25 Trunked system pretty easy, the conventional channels are pretty much dead on this end.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The NXDN system is used for rail traffic control only. Same sort of stuff you would find on any other over the road channel from a Class 1.

The P25 trunk system is used for Customer Service type comms. Passenger Assist Alarms, have security meet the train at the next stop, train is late type stuff.

NS9710

Thank you. Living in Niagara Falls, would so be able to pick up any NXDN stuff, or just the P25

The NXDN system is used for rail traffic control only. Same sort of stuff you would find on any other over the road channel from a Class 1.

The P25 trunk system is used for Customer Service type comms. Passenger Assist Alarms, have security meet the train at the next stop, train is late type stuff.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I don't think you'll hear much but I could be wrong. The NXDN frequencies are only used where GO has control over the tracks. The database shows this:

Lakeshore West Line to Niagara Falls - GO13 Union to Burlington - CN01 from Burlington to Niagara Falls - CP82 form Burlington to Hamilton

So the only spot where NXDN is used is from Union Station to Burlington. From Burlington to Niagara is over CN and CP trackage and they use CN/CP channels.

NS9710

Thank you once again, I saw that in the DB and programmed the channels in, but no radio traffic heard, so I was just wondering if they preferred the P25 over the NXDN, or what the deal was.

I don't think you'll hear much but I could be wrong. The NXDN frequencies are only used where GO has control over the tracks. The database shows this:

Lakeshore West Line to Niagara Falls - GO13 Union to Burlington - CN01 from Burlington to Niagara Falls - CP82 form Burlington to Hamilton

So the only spot where NXDN is used is from Union Station to Burlington. From Burlington to Niagara is over CN and CP trackage and they use CN/CP channels.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thank you once again, I saw that in the DB and programmed the channels in, but no radio traffic heard, so I was just wondering if they preferred the P25 over the NXDN, or what the deal was.
I have not listened for a while, but I do pickup,
160.9200 MHz GO TRAINS METROLINX RAIL TRAFFIC CONTROL ON,
TORONTO EAST, GO6 STOUFFVILLE LINE - MIDDLEFIELD RTC NXDEN RAIL ROAD R 0 NX4
in Fort Erie Ont.
Saint