Microsoft OneNote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Curious to know if anyone else is using Microsoft OneNote to help keep track of their scanner, frequency and other hobby related notes?

If so, any hints to share? If not, here is a YouTube to see if it is something that might work for you:
Microsoft OneNote 2010 - YouTube

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I avoided OneNote. For anything along those lines I use Evernote. Great program, freemium service, iPhone app...

Are you a Mac user? There are lots of amazing features about OneNote. Some aren't in Evernote.

One feature I use daily is the ability to sync with other sources. At home, and for 'personal' notebooks, I home them on a local NAS. I can start typing on one machine. Shut it down and start up where I left off on another machine. For less secure stuf, I can sync in the cloud. Cloud sync can be shared and updated via a web app.

OneNote supports voice and video notes. Fire up the voice recorder. Typed notes are synced with the recorder. If speaker tells a funny joke, and you type "funny joke". As you review notes, click on "funny joke" and the recording advances to the point where the joke was recorded...

OneNote also supports OCR. I was researching kitchen appliances. I took a photo with my phone. Inserted it into my research notebook. In the background OneNote did OCR on the photo. When I searched for a model number, it searched within the photo.

And as someone mentioned, there are now apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows phone...

What are some of the features you really like in Evernote?

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
GoogleDocs works great for sharing with others. This site is powered by GoogleDocs to display different frequencies lists. SoCalFedCom

I'll be sharing some OneNote notebooks on some research I'm doing on local LTR systems. The great thing about sharing with OneNote/Skydrive is that you get the web sharing like GoogleDocs. But you also get syncing with local applications. So you can sync a SkyDrive-based notebook with OneNote, disconnect from the net, make changes remotely and then depending on permissions syn those changes back into the cloud.

You can also use the native app when you are connected to the net for more features and faster access to your data.

Office Casual: Ways to share and edit with OneNote - YouTube

RolnCode3

Are you a Mac user? There are lots of amazing features about OneNote. Some aren't in Evernote.

One feature I use daily is the ability to sync with other sources. At home, and for 'personal' notebooks, I home them on a local NAS. I can start typing on one machine. Shut it down and start up where I left off on another machine. For less secure stuf, I can sync in the cloud. Cloud sync can be shared and updated via a web app.

OneNote supports voice and video notes. Fire up the voice recorder. Typed notes are synced with the recorder. If speaker tells a funny joke, and you type "funny joke". As you review notes, click on "funny joke" and the recording advances to the point where the joke was recorded...

OneNote also supports OCR. I was researching kitchen appliances. I took a photo with my phone. Inserted it into my research notebook. In the background OneNote did OCR on the photo. When I searched for a model number, it searched within the photo.

And as someone mentioned, there are now apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows phone...

What are some of the features you really like in Evernote?
Hmm. Evernote does all of those, with the possible exception of OCR - not sure on that one. I just read some reviews and gave them a try and it did everything I needed. Plus, Evernote is free to use - you just pay for premium services if you want them. But even the free version syncs to the cloud, takes audio notes, etc. You can't do video notes from an iphone (you can do photos), but the PC version does webcam notes.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I found this.
Evernote for Windows Update: Audio Recording, Toolbar Customization and More « Evernote Blogcast
But I can't tell if audio is linked with notes, beyond just embedding the audio file. With one note, you can advance playback to the point where you made a note. And the opposite works too. So as you playback recording, one note highlights the lines of your notes.

Another cool feature is the printer driver. One note installs a printer driver that allows you to print to your notebooks. So if you do e-commerce and want to print out confirmations and receipts, you can print them to one note.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I use Microsoft mesh to sync all my stuff between my desktop, laptop and server (where they are backed up weekly to an external USB backup drive). I also run Dropbox on my server so I can access my docs from my mobile devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.