Middlesex County EDACS Rebanded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Ok folks, I just picked up a control channel on 853.1125 (in Edison NJ) and it's the same signal strength as the current control channel 866.9250. I programmed the "re-banded freq." in my Pro-97 and it indicates that the LCN is 4. The only difference I notice is the "sound rate" that the control channel is operating at. It seems that the "re-banded" one is "running faster" than the current one. Anyone with trunk-tracker/data slicer/other high tech gadgets that I don't have, can you please run some tests on this when you have a chance to see if my findings are consistent with what I am observing. I also ran a FCC database search and it shows that the license has been re-banded, so maybe we are on the verge of having a system re-banded.

Bruce, have you heard anything in the programming dept. as of yet?

Toys that were used on this was a BC296D and a RS Pro-97, for the record.

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

Greg, The long awaited shift is finally underway. Public safety, hazmat, and oem are the first to shift. First stage, bring back all radios for rebanding, Get everyone on the new LCN's. When all done, call all radios back to pull out the old LCN's. Any other way and interop and "common" tg's just go bye-bye until the end of the several month-long process.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Middlesex County EDACS Re-banded

Ok folks, time to update your notes and radios once again. The County EDACS TRS has re-banded at this time and (currently) am not picking up any control channels on the 866-868 MHz area. This morning I did pick up the cc's in that area; however, radio techs have been testing the system all day throughout the county and coverage has been superior in analog format compared to the former freq's (as according to the techs). The TG for testing I believe is 15-101.

Edit: County Park Rangers were heard on the system and I am also hearing ProVoice (in conventional raw digital [unintelligible] mode).

Last edited:

ctrabs74

I would seriously doubt it. Middlesex County has no central fire dispatch (unlike Monmouth or Somerset, for example). It would make sense, but it would seem that there are too many feifdoms in that area which would make such a concept almost a non-starter.

elk2370bruce

Any plans to move any fire/ems to this system?

Re-banding switch-over accomplished this weekend. Municipal fire, police, and ems are all on their own municipal trunked systems or existing frequencies posted here on RR. Way too expensive to move them to the EDACS trunked system. Already approaching the point where priority-based access will be required unless the frequency base is expanded. Towns don't want to give up their "autonomy" and nobody wants to foot the bill. Besides, as wierd as it sounds, it still works.

gcr33

And heavens forbid that their be any good interoperability. After all the chief of one borough might not like a chief in another borough. Makes a lot of sense for NJ.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
And heavens forbid that their be any good interoperability. After all the chief of one borough might not like a chief in another borough. Makes a lot of sense for NJ.

Yea, kind of my point.

Also, the money to have each town have an individual trunked system, when if they all got together... it would be much more economical and provide interoperability.

elk2370bruce

Most organizations use Management By Objectives. NJ government works on MDO - Management Despite Objectives. Besides, operations without political intrigue? Definitely not NJ. Where's the fun in that? Unfortunately, all those existing local repeaters and trunked systems have been around for years and they all have the morbid fear of change. Hate to be this sarcastic (yeah sure!) but we all know how the game is really played in the "garden state". Interoperbility? Isn't that a synonym for losing local autonomy? Ask the majority of the locals and that's the mindset of many. Go central communications now and be "absorbed" within a regional or county system later on. Fewer chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, Captains, etc to be appointed each year (HORRORS)! Quicker and more effective response and lower costs be damned - we defend our turf against all enemies (real or imagined).

With county government, 30 law enforcement agencies (25 local PD plus others), around 70 autonomous fire companies, and about independant 55 squads, SIX LCN frequencies will just not be even remotely enough to serve the system you describe. With the proliferation of county bases, mobiles, and H/T's, the County is near to having a priority use system installed - without adding the locals. Interop is being handled ( in some limited ways for now) through linking capabilities that tie in potentially diverse systems: conventional, motorola (analog and encrypted digital), EDACS analog and ProVoice, simplex. (Your DHS grant dollars at work.) A work in progress. Tain't easy McGee with all those sets of needs, desires and local fears!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.