Middlesex Paramedic Units

a417

That’s another question. What is R5 mean?
Paramedic level response contract/requirement

somewhere online said:
Each municipality in the State has a “primary service area responder” (PSAR) designated for first responder
services (R1), BLS services (R2), and paramedic services (R5).

Last edited:

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
R5 is the paramedic responding from the hospital or providing agency that’s not the FD or ambulance service.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
R1 = BLS first responder non-transport (1 EMT or EMR)
R2 = BLS Transport unit (min 1 person EMT, 1 EMR)
R3 = Heavy rescue (older and no longer used)
R4 = Intermediate (IV Tech) level first responder or transporting unit (min 1 IV Tech, 1 EMT / EMR)
R5 = ALS / Paramedic first responder or transporting unit (min 1 Medic, 1 EMT / EMR)

That is how it was when I was at C-MED New Haven. I know some things have changed. And when I was With ARMS in Ansonia, our old rescue used to sign on as 3-Bravo-2 on MED 10. (Yes I'm old enough for that)

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Izzy hit the nail on the head.
My only caveat to the above would be with the R5 breakdown. I believe that if the paramedic is a 2 person crew, it would have to be with an EMT at minimum. A paramedic and an EMR cannot work on the same truck.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
My only caveat to the above would be with the R5 breakdown. I believe that if the paramedic is a 2 person crew, it would have to be with an EMT at minimum. A paramedic and an EMR cannot work on the same truck.

The R5, at least in New London and Middlesex Counties, is typically a Medic fly car. When the the BLS unit requests an R5 they are not seeking a medic transport bus, they are seeking a Medic to supplement the BLS crew with ALS capabilities. So those Mdsx and L&M Medic fly cars are an R5 response. I have also seen, although rare, a Medic ride the box with an EMR.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
an R5 is a paramedic level service, whether transport or fly car. I've seen several services send a full ambulance out on ALS intercept calls, whether it be due to the unavailability of a fly car unit, or the potential that it could turn into a full car mutual aid.
and Chris is correct, anything above a bls unit (R2) would require the second person to be a minimum of EMT.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I think you are right meaning how it is now. Back in the day (MRT instead of EMR) I think you were able to get away with it (at least in The Valley lol)

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
The R5, at least in New London and Middlesex Counties, is typically a Medic fly car. When the the BLS unit requests an R5 they are not seeking a medic transport bus, they are seeking a Medic to supplement the BLS crew with ALS capabilities. So those Mdsx and L&M Medic fly cars are an R5 response. I have also seen, although rare, a Medic ride the box with an EMR.
Mohegan Sun and American Ambulance run R5 transporting units. Mohegan runs one ALS Ambulance, one BLS ambulance and Medic 55 (fly car second medic) if I remember correctly. L&M and American also run R5 fly cars as the rest of the ambulance services are BLS only.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
R1 = BLS first responder non-transport (1 EMT or EMR)
R2 = BLS Transport unit (min 1 person EMT, 1 EMR)
R3 = Heavy rescue (older and no longer used)
R4 = Intermediate (IV Tech) level first responder or transporting unit (min 1 IV Tech, 1 EMT / EMR)
R5 = ALS / Paramedic first responder or transporting unit (min 1 Medic, 1 EMT / EMR)

That is how it was when I was at C-MED New Haven. I know some things have changed. And when I was With ARMS in Ansonia, our old rescue used to sign on as 3-Bravo-2 on MED 10. (Yes I'm old enough for that)
I'm old enough to remember 3-Kilo-18 signing on all the time, and them also using 4-kilo-18 when they did an ALS intercept back when getting a medic in the valley was not the norm
The only other 3 units I remember using cmed were 3-Hotel-1 Branford and 3-India-1 or 2 North Branford
And you forgot 10- a field medical DR and the only ones I remember were 10-Hotel and I think the sharps team used to use 10-Romeo
I always thought the VEMS medics should have been Romeo that way they could intercept with Juliet :ROFLMAO:

tom1835

Premium Subscriber
I have a p325 and p996 p2 scanner can not get troop I or troop f in Wallingford with all the. Frequencies in no bars

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I'm old enough to remember 3-Kilo-18 signing on all the time, and them also using 4-kilo-18 when they did an ALS intercept back when getting a medic in the valley was not the norm
The only other 3 units I remember using cmed were 3-Hotel-1 Branford and 3-India-1 or 2 North Branford
And you forgot 10- a field medical DR and the only ones I remember were 10-Hotel and I think the sharps team used to use 10-Romeo
I always thought the VEMS medics should have been Romeo that way they could intercept with Juliet :ROFLMAO:
Same here with Derby, Branford and No. Branford. I did have that one Freudian Slip with "India" on Med 10 one night, that got the region laughing, except NB LOL.

The "10"s didn't com into play until after 2000 if I remember correctly, I was at C-MED when Dr. Cone and Donny Mac help start the SHARPS program. Unless John G had that set up a long time before in the old days and reused the designation.

Well Jon, you could always get a Kilo in Derby and do the Tango in Seymour too! LOL

Hope all is well