• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland, no thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the programming cable mentioned above, I had seen the Midland ML-802 manufactured for the Australian market appears to be a similar radio as the Micro Mobile MXT-275 . I emailed Midland US customer support to ask if the dealer programming software was available for purchase, or if Midland could refer me to a US dealer that would program my MXT-275 repeater channels to wide band. Their response is a bit confusing, but this is the direct quote...

”Unfortunately the MXT275 is programmable to to wide band audio we do not have software for this radio.”

Regardless of the grammatical errors in the response, I will not purchase any more Midland products as their focus on GMRS seems to be the casual user and overland/off-road enthusiast. Also, Midland is expected to announce new radios this year that may address the wide band/narrow band issues, but for me...too little too late.

I have found the Anytone AT-779UV to fit the same requirements I was seeking from the Midland Micro-mobile. The Anytone is about the same size, actually does a bit more TX output (about 19 watts on my cheap meter), can be programmed for wide band audio via software, and is certified for Part 95E on the FCC EOT site T4K -779UV.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
CLLI = Common Language Location Identifier. SNCZ = Santa Cruz. CA = California. 01 is the main wire center for Santa Cruz. DS0 = Pulling phone service off a 5ESS switch.

Not surprising Google Maps can't identify it.

I periodically change it depending where I am and what I'm doing. Last time I set it, that's where I was. I probably need to change it again.

For those wanting more on CLLI, recommend TelcoData.US: Search Area Codes / Exchanges by CLLI
and Local calling guide: Switch

gman1971

Well, sorry to hear about the Midland, I kinda agree with other posters about vintage Midland stuff being decent, in fact, I still own a couple of their 75-820 CBs (modded for 400 ch!!) from the 90s, they were decent radios, but nowadays is mostly rebadged CCR POS... sadly.

Vertex Standard EVX-53xx are great portables/mobiles that have pretty decent front ends, which will serve you well for GMRS.

G.

classictvfan

according to Midland, the repeater channels on the mxt 400 are wideband.

"By default the MXT400 simplex channels are narrow band and the repeater channels are wideband."

Status
Not open for further replies.