• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midlands repeater access

GenghisKhan

Hello. I am new to GMRS. I have a midland MTX 275 and I have read the manual but I don't understand about entering the codes for repeater access. So you look at the chart find some number and that gives you something to enter. What?? I don't get it. Please leave sarcasm at the door. I am new and trying to learn. Thanks have a great day.

WA0CBW

Most repeaters require an access tone commonly called PL. That tone is added to your transmission and "opens" the repeater to receive signals. The radio should have directions on how to add that tone to your transmission for the repeater you want to access. The correct tone for that repeater may be listed on the mygmrs site and you may need to contact the owner for permission to use his repeater.
Bill

GenghisKhan

I get that but the chart just list a bunch of numbers. 1-whetever number and then numbers next to that. I have no idea what they mean and the MANUAL DOESNT EXPLAIN.

GenghisKhan

Actually it starts on page 31. But hey people make mistakes 😉 however ic se the dcs codes on p.31 but I don't understand where do I put them if I'm on ch.21 and I just randomly pick one of those numbers select it in the radio and hope it's right? If a repeater owner say the dcs is 130.1 what and where how do you pit that in the radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If a repeater owner say the dcs is 130.1 what and where how do you pit that in the radio?

A DCS would be 3 digits, no decimal point. DCS is digital and this is a digital code.

CTCSS, which is analog, is an audio frequency (254.1Hz or lower usually). Those will have an ##.#Hz or ###.#Hz frequency.

The DCS or CTCSS would go in the TRANSMIT side of the channel. The CTCSS or DCS is what gets heard by the repeater receiver and tells it that the traffic is supposed to be passed by the repeater. The repeater will usually require a CTCSS or DCS code to activate the repeater. Some repeaters can support more than one code.
Incorrect DCS or CTCSS codes will not allow audio to be passed by the repeater.

You would need to talk to the repeater owner to get the correct CTCSS or DCS code, or the repeater owner would need to publicly post that the repeater is "open" to users and post the DCS or CTCSS code publicly (like what you'll see on MYGMRS.com).

Always good practice to confirm with the repeater owner that it is OK to access THEIR repeater. Popping up on someone else's repeater without it being an "open" repeater or being given permission is not good form.

tomk62

If a repeater owner say the dcs is 130.1 what and where how do you pit that in the radio?
If the repeater owner says it is CTCSS 131.8, then you lookup that in your midland manual and see that it is code 20, and then in your midland radio you assign ctcss midland code 20 to your channel.

Midland uses codes and not the specific CTCSS or DCS tone number.

GenghisKhan

A DCS would be 3 digits, no decimal point. DCS is digital and this is a digital code.

CTCSS, which is analog, is an audio frequency (254.1Hz or lower usually). Those will have an ##.#Hz or ###.#Hz frequency.

The DCS or CTCSS would go in the TRANSMIT side of the channel. The CTCSS or DCS is what gets heard by the repeater receiver and tells it that the traffic is supposed to be passed by the repeater. The repeater will usually require a CTCSS or DCS code to activate the repeater. Some repeaters can support more than one code.
Incorrect DCS or CTCSS codes will not allow audio to be passed by the repeater.

You would need to talk to the repeater owner to get the correct CTCSS or DCS code, or the repeater owner would need to publicly post that the repeater is "open" to users and post the DCS or CTCSS code publicly (like what you'll see on MYGMRS.com).

Always good practice to confirm with the repeater owner that it is OK to access THEIR repeater. Popping up on someone else's repeater without it being an "open" repeater or being given permission is not good form.
Now this makes a bit more sense. Also he I have been referring to dcs code. But when the owner gave the number I assumed it was DCS code but he was giving me a "PL". I believe this is why I have been so confused and pulling my hair out 😬😵‍💫 so now I have a different thing to figure lol... thanks for your help. Cheers