Milair around Savannah GA area

BlackhawkCB

KM4TQD
Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I frequently listen to the SEGARRN system and the new US Army system but im getting a bit bored and am looking for ideas as to what to put in my scanner for milcom stuff, not necessarily interested in civilian air stuff, only military. I found Macs blog (The Coastal Georgia Radio Blog) but curious if I should use the UHF freqs or VHF or both.. I though civilian was always VHF and Military was UHF.. I see I may now be mistaken but im curious what other channels you guys have or recommend I plug into.

kg4ojj

If you have Mac's data, use it - all of it. He spends many hours cataloging what's going on in the Savannah area (and has for many years). Military aircraft may use VHF aviation frequencies, but typically use their UHF assignments. Put in both and see what is active in your area. Remember, aircraft at altitude can transmit 100-200 miles, so don't think it's like listening to land-based public safety.

KF4LMT

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I frequently listen to the SEGARRN system and the new US Army system but im getting a bit bored and am looking for ideas as to what to put in my scanner for milcom stuff, not necessarily interested in civilian air stuff, only military. I found Macs blog (The Coastal Georgia Radio Blog) but curious if I should use the UHF freqs or VHF or both.. I though civilian was always VHF and Military was UHF.. I see I may now be mistaken but im curious what other channels you guys have or recommend I plug into.
Program in both the VHF and UHF frequencies. Fighters will usually (but not always) use just UHF air traffic control frequencies, but there are a lot of military aircraft that do use VHF ATC frequencies. I don't check the forum every day, but if you have a question about something specific, I'll try to answer it.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
If you have Mac's data, use it - all of it. He spends many hours cataloging what's going on in the Savannah area (and has for many years). Military aircraft may use VHF aviation frequencies, but typically use their UHF assignments. Put in both and see what is active in your area. Remember, aircraft at altitude can transmit 100-200 miles, so don't think it's like listening to land-based public safety.
Where do you get "Mac's data"?