BC125AT Full Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ML143606

Mine is at 10 went from 7 all the way to 13, no change. It flashes and fades in and out with each flash. Did the same thing on the support reps test unit even. I see a lot of people posting on other sites about this problem. Uniden claims they have no complaints or tickets on it.

Thanks for trying though :)

mongo580

Any news if there will be an update for the BC125AT to cover the missing 380-400 range? As noted, the Australian version BC126AT and Euro covers these. Is there an email address for Uniden USA?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Flashing PL tones

I've been giving this some thought, is it possible the flashing pl tone display is because the freq is programmed but the pl tone is set for search? Thus the scanner is telling you it has found a new tone? Did you try hard programming the tones to the freqs and see if problem persists?

nanZor

Because Uniden says I am the ONLY user reporting this issue, that they have no record of anyone else reporting this and that my scanner is less than a year old and it will be repaired for free. The rep contacted the repair dept. explained the issue, and they replied back that it is a fixable repair and fully warrantied.

Now.... How can they fix something that they don't know is a problem?

Because you are not experiencing a problem, but a feature that occurs when CTCSS/DCS SEARCH is enabled.

Some people may want to know the tone, but not actually program it in immediately - there could be several users of the frequency on different tones - aka FRS radios as the most obvious example, and you want to hear ALL of the traffic.

When you program in a specific CTCSS tone, it will be solid. In search, it slowly blinks to remind you that you don't actually have it programmed in, but conveniently tells you what it is if you wish to do so.

Uniden was being VERY nice. They could have just said "RTFM". But instead, they want to keep a customer by accepting a unit for repair that doesn't need it for good will in business - possibly hoping that you may find out that this is truly a feature, and not a problem.

No need for everyone to start jumping on the phone demanding a fix for something that is a feature, not a design flaw. :)

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden BC125AT is on sale for $83 on the Walmart website. I had to grab one of these at this price for Analog Frequencies such as Air, Marine, Military Air, railroad, ham, etc. Having a nice analog scanner is still a needed tool in the scanner realm. This is the only forum for the BC125At that showed up when I searched RR.

Xray

Great airshow scanner, thats about all I use it for but also have some analog LE/fire freqs that are still in use in my area programmed.

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
I have this radio, and for a sub $100 scanner it has great features - PL decode, alphanumeric display, military aircraft band as well as public safety. It does not cover 700/800 MHz but most 700/800 MHz systems these days are trunked P25 digital and this is a non-trunking, analog scanner.

I sure wish I could stick this handheld scanner into a time machine and send it back to 1980 to myself, when I was in high school listening to a crystal-controlled Bearcat III.

Stringplucker

I have this scanner and use it primarily to listen in to the local emergency stations. My son is a volunteer fire fighter, and I can listen into what is going on when he's out on calls. So far, between the fire channel and the police channel, I know more about my surroundings than ever before.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
For VHF and UHF analog scanning, the 125AT is hard to beat. Excellent here in Los Angeles area on low VHF CHP, civil and mil air, marine, and all other analog stations on the frequencies it covers. Surprisingly good audio as well. A real bargain compared to analog scanners of the past costing much more.
Just noticed that pb lonny mention 806 to 956 Mhz coverage of the model in Australia. No 800 on the 125AT here in US. That coverage would even be nicer.

Last edited:

pb_lonny

Just noticed that pb lonny mention 806 to 956 Mhz coverage of the model in Australia. No 800 on the 125AT here in US. That coverage would even be nicer.

Yes, in my case I use it to listen to the INPUT frequencies of a 800MHz EDACS trunking network. While I can't hear the audio, listening to the INPUT frequencies allows me to know if any units are close by.

N1SQB

The usual caveat is you get what you pay for. With the 125AT however, you get MORE than what you pay for. I got mine basically for civil and mil air use based on the good reviews and recommendations here on RR. Not only does it cover those bands well, but every other analog signal I put into it. Close call has been nothing but fun and productive. I carry this baby around more than my 436hp, I'm sorry to admit.

Manny

ILjim

10+ Years Listening
Premium Subscriber
I've had mine for almost a year now and I really like it. You get a lot for $100, plus Mil Air coverage. I use it mainly to monitor VHF/UHF public safety as well as local air, rail, and schools. It was simple to program by hand and with the free software from Uniden. I took it to an air show last summer and worked pretty well despite being in a high-RF environment (downtown Chicago) using the stock antenna. Highly recommend if you mainly monitor analog VHF/UHF or if you want a second scanner where you don't need trunking, APCO 25, etc.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Excellent review Matt. Watched your video and it prompted me to purchase a BC125AT recently. After using an old RS Pro-51 all these years this new scanner is a great replacement. Likes: USB charging (no bulky wall-warts hi hi), large LCD screen, temporary lockout (definitely a plus), 500 memories, small size, quality feel, balanced nicely and isn't top heavy and prone to tipping over, easy to program manually, has both CTCSS and DCS. Having this scanner only a few days surely there will be more positive things to say. One thing I noticed is that the rubber duck antenna is pretty difficult to detach, not sure if it's just my particular unit that has the problem. Just an observation, not a complaint since it cost just a few pennies less than $90. Thinking back on what scanners cost years ago, the BC125AT definitely is one of the best buys on the market.

And thanks guys for all the helpful comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.