Military Jet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconrider8

This maybe a stupid question but ive been wondering this for a couple days. What type of system is used to track Military Jets i know some use ADSB/Mode S and i have been seeing some of them on my usb dongle but what about the fighter jets and such?

kma371

QRT
This maybe a stupid question but ive been wondering this for a couple days. What type of system is used to track Military Jets i know some use ADSB/Mode S and i have been seeing some of them on my usb dongle but what about the fighter jets and such?

fighter jets are generally not visible through ADSB programs. you can sometimes see them if they are squawking via a mode c transponder, but no identifying information is there.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber

Fighter jets? The military tracks them with radar. Set up your own radar equipment in the backyard. There was something in QST a while back..

reconrider8

so is there a program to decode mode-c? even if it want show data it would still be cool to see whats bear as far as military

kma371

QRT
so is there a program to decode mode-c? even if it want show data it would still be cool to see whats bear as far as military

There are programs that decode the mode c but it will only show squawk codes. Planeplotter is one program.

Intercept aircraft squawk 7777

m50steel

Premium Subscriber
Look up identification friend or foe (IFF) mode 5. Encryption long before the public safety folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.