Mini-Review of TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Thanks guys, I tried audio boost and well and didn’t notice a difference. Some channels do seem to be at a different level then others. But I can’t make out any rhyme or reason to it. Some conventional analog are much lower then others, some P25 digital are lower then others, it’s all over the place.

Since it seems like a problem across the board with handheld scanners, I’m leaning toward an external speaker. I was hoping to avoid that as I wanted to make it easy as possible to take in and out of the car, etc. The less “hardwired” the better.

It’s amazing to me that a $60 Beofeng handheld ham radio has a far superior speaker and the volume levels can be so much higher. The whole premise of a scanner is listening. But the listening part seems to be an afterthought of the manufacturers.

While on the subject of the $60 Chinese radio, it also receives conventional analog channels with its stock antenna better then the Whistler with a Diamond antenna. When both are on at the same time, the Baofeng will pick up transmissions that just don’t come through on the Whistler.

Sounds like I’m bashing the Whistler, but there are many good things about it and I’m still enjoying using it. I’ll try to work through some of the issues I’m having.
I just ordered this gizmo. I will post back once I see how well/badly/if it works. Will be for use in the Wrangler with earbuds. I generally get by just out and about away from most noises, if it pans out this will probably wind up hard-mounted in the Jeep somehow.
https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-a...USA-GEN-Shopping-NewStructure-Gen-Audio-Video

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I spent some more time with the scanner at home tonight, out of the car. I played with the settings, put audio boost on all the channels, and it seems to be working well for now. Actually I had the volume down to 20 (0-30 range) and it was sufficient in the house. And it really works well. Scans fast, priority mode works great, lots of range.... I really enjoyed using it tonight so I’ll hang on and give it some more time. Maybe I was too quick to judge. Thanks all for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.