Missing Conventional Systems for Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
If you go to the Database for Utah and look at just the conventional frequencies, you will find many that belong to cities, police, fire, Forest Service, etc that are UNAVAILABLE for import using the Import feature of programming software, specifically WIN500.

I had wanted to import the frequencies for Murray City PD which are not on UCAN. They run their own radio system and although they are using 800 MHz frequencies, they are used as conventional rather than trunked. These frequencies do NOT show as available for import. None of the frequencies on this page are available. Why are these frequencies, such as the Forest Service, not available? With fire season coming on, these frequencies can be of prime interest.

Is it because they are not recognized as systems in their own right? I believe that Murray City is a system. Just wondering.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm - everything is there, listed alphabetically, if I use the RR import for FreeScan. The only thing I can think of is that there's some error in the indexing for the old web service (I don't know if Win500 still uses this) - FreeScan uses the new SOAP interface, and it seems to be working correctly 73 Mike

qlajlu

Silent Key
Hmm - everything is there, listed alphabetically, if I use the RR import for FreeScan. The only thing I can think of is that there's some error in the indexing for the old web service (I don't know if Win500 still uses this) - FreeScan uses the new SOAP interface, and it seems to be working correctly 73 Mike
So, what you are saying, Mike, is that this is a defect in the WIN500 software, not the Db.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
So, what you are saying, Mike, is that this is a defect in the WIN500 software, not the Db.

Perhaps - it could be that the index for the database is not being read by the RR import module in Win500 correctly. That's only 1 possibility. I don't have Win500 to try it myself.

I have attached a JPEG of what I see in FreeScan - notice that it's (more or less) set up alphabetically (the public utilities are at the end - but likely it's sorted on 'utilities') 73 Mike

Attachments

• SLC import.JPG
    SLC import.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 257

qlajlu

Silent Key
Perhaps - it could be that the index for the database is not being read by the RR import module in Win500 correctly. That's only 1 possibility. I don't have Win500 to try it myself.
Yep, those did not show up. It shows other businesses, the airlines' frequencies used at the Int'l Airport, and some utilities, but none of the things I see in your illustration.

So where is the next place to go for some help getting this fixed? I rather doubt that I am the only one that has noticed this, but I could not find where this "situation" has been addressed before. Could be the terms I used in my search.

EDIT TO ADD: This is what I see in WIN500. Nothing like what you see, Mike.

Conv_Choices.JPG

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd send a note to Don and ask him about this. He may well be working on getting the new SOAP based interface into Win500 now- and frankly, he probably should. The old XML service is going away by the end of July, and that's not all that far off. He's likely going to have to do this with Win96 and 97, too.

Hopefully he can issue a temporary fix. 73 Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I saw this and wondered...So using an older version of Win96 (still uses the legacy version of the Web Service) I pulled up Salt Lake Co. and below is what I see, so obviously there is something wrong with Win500.

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
I saw this and wondered...So using an older version of Win96 (still uses the legacy version of the Web Service) I pulled up Salt Lake Co. and below is what I see, so obviously there is something wrong with Win500.
Thanks, Lou. That is interesting. Taking ka3jjz's advice, I posted this to the WIN500 thread in the Software Forum. DonS has disabled his PM and I do not have an e-mail address for him, so I guess I just have to be patient and hope he sees this thread or my post in the Software Forum. I'm sure he must be a very busy person, so it is expected he would be hard to get hold of.

EDIT TO ADD: This particular problem is not a big thing for me. There are only four frequencies that I'm interested in - at the present time - and I have added them manually, but it does bring up a defect that should be repaired.

Thanks again, Mike and Lou.

Last edited:

JoeyC

I guess I am not following this thread or something. I have WIN500 and I am not seeing any problem as stated. I am able to find and download Murray City Police and School District 800 and 453 mhz freqs and the forest service freqs mentioned in the first message. Lous graphic looks identical to my WIN500 v1.80 window.:confused:

qlajlu

Silent Key
I guess I am not following this thread or something. I have WIN500 and I am not seeing any problem as stated. I am able to find and download Murray City Police and School District 800 and 453 mhz freqs and the forest service freqs mentioned in the first message. Lous graphic looks identical to my WIN500 v1.80 window.:confused:
AH, HA! Thank you JoeyC. Your statement made me go back and look at the images already posted in this thread. You will see that the one posted by loumaag shows that all he did was expand the categories. In the image I have posted, you will see that I had tried to access this information by clicking on the System drop-down menu.

I'm not going to pretend I understand why it is set up this way, but that answers things.

Thanks all! :)

DonS

AH, HA! Thank you JoeyC. Your statement made me go back and look at the images already posted in this thread. You will see that the one posted by loumaag shows that all he did was expand the categories. In the image I have posted, you will see that I had tried to access this information by clicking on the System drop-down menu.

I'm not going to pretend I understand why it is set up this way, but that answers things.

It's set up this way because that's the way the RR DB is organized. A County contains Agencies and Categories. An Agency contains Categories. Categories contain Subcategories. Subcategories contain Frequencies.

The frequencies you were trying to import (e.g. Murray City PD) appear off the County's list of Categories, not within an Agency as shown in the Win500 screen capture above. The County's list of Categories was available as soon as you selected "Salt Lake" from the County drop-down.

qlajlu

Silent Key
It's set up this way because that's the way the RR DB is organized. A County contains Agencies and Categories. An Agency contains Categories. Categories contain Subcategories. Subcategories contain Frequencies.

The frequencies you were trying to import (e.g. Murray City PD) appear off the County's list of Categories, not within an Agency as shown in the Win500 screen capture above. The County's list of Categories was available as soon as you selected "Salt Lake" from the County drop-down.
Thanks for the reply Don. I kinda figured that out after JoeyC's post. I'm a little slow on the uptake at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.