Mnn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know E-mail address for Quest wireless? To receive Text messages form MNN. Thanks Craig Quest is giving me the run around.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
You got it... However, there are times where the messages that come from the MNN are longer than the the wireless phone can receive as a text message. Thats why a lot of us sport alpha pagers :cool:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
abqscan said:
You got it... However, there are times where the messages that come from the MNN are longer than the the wireless phone can receive as a text message. Thats why a lot of us sport alpha pagers :cool:

Correct the average cell phone can only accept appox 160 chars per/message and we have a maximum char count per/message of 230, so cell phones are often not the optimal reception device to use, sometimes alphanumeric pagers or just plain ol' email addresses are better. Also many cell phone companies charge text messages each or even per-character, ouch.

Not forgetting do you want to receive a text page on your cell phone at 339am??

Jim<

fairrpe86

Another way to send a message to a cell phone of an unknown carrier is teleflip.com. For example you would do 3035551234@teleflip.com. It works great and you also aren't required to know what carrier they have inorder for it to work.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Because the forum automatically turns it into a link. These should have been posted like this:
Code:
970-290-2121@qwestmp.com
It's done like that on many forums with... well serials and other hacker stuff. :lol:

fairrpe86, thanks for the teleflip site. How does it know where to send it?

I guess it has something to do with the prefix and the last digit in the phone number. Ironically, I was searching for sites that offer free GPS tracking for cell phones and found a site that was able to look up a cell's carrier. Bewildered at the fact that the site just wanted the area code, prefix and last digit of the phone number. I guess it's all on how the phone numbers are made per se.

So I guess if one wants to know the carrier of the number they would just have to know the format the carriers use
icon3.gif

Last edited:

cstockmyer

abqscan said:
+

Maybe my cingular plan is weird, or maybe it's because I have media net, but my email for my phone is cstockmyer@mycingular.com, then I have it sent up that I get an alert on my phone so I can then go to my email and read the whole thing.

BobWeb

jimmnn said:
Correct the average cell phone can only accept appox 160 chars per/message and we have a maximum char count per/message of 230, so cell phones are often not the optimal reception device to use, sometimes alphanumeric pagers or just plain ol' email addresses are better. Also many cell phone companies charge text messages each or even per-character, ouch.

Not forgetting do you want to receive a text page on your cell phone at 339am??

Jim<

Actually, I've found my phone to be very good for this sort of thing. I have no maximum that I am aware of, but Cingular does break large messages down into multiple "small" messages. Not perfect, but I still get the messages and they are very readable although sometimes in the wrong order.

Unfortunately, as Jim pointed out, I do get charged per message, which sucks. But I paid a little bit extra for a text messaging plan (750 included each month) and that is cheaper than an alpha pager would cost per month (I think, that is the plan is 9.99 per month).

Steve2003

I have a separate Comcast e-mail account that I have my pages sent to. Comcast allows you to forward your e-mails to another address (ie my cellphone), which you can turn on and off as you wish. This is nice if you are going on vacation or reaching the message quota on your phone and need to turn pages on and off. Hope others with comcast can use this tip! BTW, doing this does not insert additional characters into the message.

-Steve

poltergeisty

Banned
Virgin to the volcano!!!

Well screw Virgin. :lol: They have got rid of free incoming text messages for free.

T-Mobile still has free incoming text messages. Its prepaid and the $25.00 card for three months isn't bad! I think this would be a nice idea for just receiving text messages for this type of activity. I have had earthquake alerts sent to my phone, but recently stopped that, just too many damn earthquakes! :lol:

This looks like a cool deal. Now I just wonder what their limit is on characters? I wonder if it matters on the cell carrier, cell phone or cell plan?

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
poltergeisty said:
Well now T-mobile charges .5 cents to receive text messages. What a bunch of sht!

If you weren't paying for incoming messages before this change, consider yourself lucky. Most cell phone providers have been doing that for sometime. You either pay per message, or buy a package plan for "X" number of messages per month. It may be a bunch of **** to you, but in reality, it's business as usual in the industry.

poltergeisty

Banned
firescannerbob said:
It may be a bunch of **** to you, but in reality, it's business as usual in the industry.

You know your right, I shouldn't be impeding capitalistic interests. In fact, they should charge .25 cents a minute.

Before it was free through T-mobile, It's why it's sht now. :lol:

Virgin has this new penny thing going which seems to be fare.

Well, off for the Virgin! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.