Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Probably not a good idea for transmission.

1) RF is likely to get back into the radio via the power, mike, speaker cables and do weird things.
2) The mobile expects that there is a low VSWR and that is difficult to attain without a ground plane like the vehicle body.
3) HT antennas will likely overheat and melt.
4) Some Right angle connectors, specifically UHF type, are notorious for bad VSWR.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm wondering about a mag mount, but unsure how high up I can go.

Do you have access to the attic? If your roof/siding/insulation isn't metallic, you may have pretty good results with installing the antenna up there. Many do that successfully.

Also, the Ventenna was a good solution for many, but www.ventenna.com shows that they've shut down. Still, you could make an antenna look like a sewer vent pipe. Doesn't even need to be a real sewer vent.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Get a roll-up J-pole and hang it up on the inside of an exterior wall. Just make sure that the antenna is at least a quarter wavelength away from any metal such as wiring in the wall or a metal window frame. It's not the best solution, but it works and your neighbors will never know.

There are many sources for roll-up J-poles. I like the ones from N9TAX: https://n9taxlabs.com/shop

k6cpo

Probably not a good idea for transmission.

1) RF is likely to get back into the radio via the power, mike, speaker cables and do weird things.
2) The mobile expects that there is a low VSWR and that is difficult to attain without a ground plane like the vehicle body.
4) Some Right angle connectors, specifically UHF type, are notorious for bad VSWR.

Not to mention, you're going to be putting yourself right in the RF field, most likely in violation of FCC exposure standards.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
True.
I once let the smoke out of a perfectly good Diamond SRH999 by running 20W into it without thinking about what I was doing (it's a long story).

I did make a half decent antenna once by taping a 19" piece of wire on to a window, connecting coax center to that, and taping two 19" pieces of wire horizontally, and connecting the coax shield to those. Well, it kinda worked and didn't break anything.

I know someone who bought one of those 2M 'on glass' antennas and used that on a house window. I think my tape-and-wire antenna would work at least that well, tho.

bharvey2

A 2M/70cm antenna solution in an HOA environment is often easy to come by but your specific environment would govern what would work best. Can you give more detail of your living arrangement? e.g.: standalone house, apartment complex, upstairs, ground floor, building construction, etc.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Ok, I know it's a long shot, but can I use a HT antenna on a mobile with a right angle adapter?
Most HT antennas are designed to handle about 5W. Most mobiles put out more power than that.
As others have said, the attic antenna, roll up J-pole, or mag mount+trash can or cookie sheet are far better solutions.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Most HT antennas are designed to handle about 5W. Most mobiles put out more power than that.
As others have said, the attic antenna, roll up J-pole, or mag mount+trash can or cookie sheet are far better solutions.
I have to say Rodger I agree with you again. A good ground like a cookie sheet or more creatively something larger from The Culinary community is best.

scannerowner

I'm thinking about the magmount idea. Seems too easy. I just don't know what my range could be from inside the house. I'm hoping to do the same for a scanner antenna and then split it to 2 scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.