Modulation Type Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobes

Feed Provider
Is there anyway possible to confirm the modulation type a transmitter is using? A scanner (say my 996XT) can be set to auto but I'm looking into a ICOM portable that doesn't have an AUTO feature.

Can these be found in the logs of a software package? I use ProScan and FreeSCAN.

N8IAA

Is there anyway possible to confirm the modulation type a transmitter is using? A scanner (say my 996XT) can be set to auto but I'm looking into a ICOM portable that doesn't have an AUTO feature.

Can these be found in the logs of a software package? I use ProScan and FreeSCAN.
I don't believe that either of those packages can be used for a handheld Icom communications receiver. You didn't state what handheld unit you were referring to. I've owned a R-2, and it had to figure out what mode to put it in by what the frequency list showed. AM, FM, WFM. Completely different animal than the 996XT.

Larry

jobes

Feed Provider
Well to elaborate on the ICOM it's a full transcever (F33GT) that is being programmed by the seller. I don't have access to the software so i cant make on the fly changes.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Is there anyway possible to confirm the modulation type a transmitter is using?"

Yeah, just type the make and model number into the Google search bar. Everything you need to know is right here:
Download Details

jobes

Feed Provider
Sorry but that doesn't tell me what modulation plan a transmitter is using. I'm I wording this incorrectly?:(

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I assume you mean FM or NFM. There are some service monitors that could probably tell you. No scanner or 2-way I'm aware of can detect modulation type. AUTO on the Uniden's means that the scanner should automatically use the default modulation scheme for the current band. It does not mean AUTO detect.

jobes

Feed Provider
Thanks UPMAN. Yes, wide and narrow is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately the ICOM (transceiver)doesn't accept AUTO as an option. So some how I need to figure all these out

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Even if it did, it would just mean that it would use whatever ICOM decided was the default for the band.

If you are wanting to transmit on a system, then you need to ask the system engineer what the correct setting is.

If you are just receiving, the rule of thumb is that if the transmission is consistetly louder than other channels that you know are programmed correctly, then it is probably programmed as NFM when it should be FM. Conversely, if the channel is quieter than other channels, you've probably programmed a channel as FM when it should be NFM.

What screws up the rule of thumb is some agencies use shoulder mics that the operator might "talk past" resulting in low audio even if the modulation is correct. Similarly, seems that somem agencies have a majority of users who close-talk or yell into the mic...

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If you're intending to transmit, you need the permission of all system owners, so you should be able to ask them for the system specs, anyway.

If you're not, why use this radio for listening only? It will likely be far poorer as a 'scanner' than a real scanner.

Yes, by the way, it's a violation of FCC regs for the tech to program your radio to transmit on any frequency you are not authorized to use.

jobes

Feed Provider
Thanks talkpair that info should be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.