MON-53 good or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcd396t

im thinking on buying a MON-53 Mobile Roof Mount A/S Scanner Antenna on ebay for 9.95 i have a bcd396t so im wondering if this antenna is a good buy an if it is any goog for 800mhz digital anyone have any info on this one.thanks

N5TWB

They are a little long for roof mount, IMO, but they were known to perform pretty well. If I remember correctly, it has a choke coil specifically for 800 mHz reception. Digital or analog, really doesn't matter. There is a forum member that occasionally offers these for sale. Maybe he'll show up on this thread with some more info for you.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
I have six of them and they STILL out perform anything else I have seen on the market including the ham tri-banders.

bcd396t

Alright i know have the antenna and it came with no base just the 1 inch threaded bottom does anyone know what i need to hook it up . Thanks

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Motorola Mount Base

Alright i know have the antenna and it came with no base just the 1 inch threaded bottom does anyone know what i need to hook it up . Thanks

Well, this is not going to be cheap, but Larsen made a great rectangular base mount. With that Motorola mount, there are other manufacturers. Does that antenna have that microchoke section for 800 mhz? I would almost kill to get my hands on one of those little fellars.

If there are ham radio operators in your area, they might know of a store in your area to obtain one. Sometimes, the base units come with BNC, some don't.

Here is an example of one I found. I believe this will work. It has been some time since I owned one.

Larsen NMOTLP Trunk mount, NMO, UHF/M | TESSCO

Of course, I encourage you to weigh all options for people who want to suggest other models. Hope this works for you.

DWW

N5TWB

As Ensnared showed in his link, you need an NMO mount for your antenna. You just need to choose whether it is a trunk-lip mount, a fender L-bracket, or if you are going to drill a hole for a permanent mount.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Another Option For Mount

As Ensnared showed in his link, you need an NMO mount for your antenna. You just need to choose whether it is a trunk-lip mount, a fender L-bracket, or if you are going to drill a hole for a permanent mount.

Just so you will know, this antenna mounts on a magnetic mount as well. I can surely attest to the Larsen magnetic mount because it would take a hydraulic-powered winch to pull this baby off of the vehicle. When driving at speeds above 75, this little baby hugs on to the metal. But, not everyone likes this type of mount because it can be unkind to car paint. Still, I would buy another one of these great antennas. That was a well-constructed radio antenna.

bcd396t

antenna

Well, this is not going to be cheap, but Larsen made a great rectangular base mount. With that Motorola mount, there are other manufacturers. Does that antenna have that microchoke section for 800 mhz? I would almost kill to get my hands on one of those little fellars.

If there are ham radio operators in your area, they might know of a store in your area to obtain one. Sometimes, the base units come with BNC, some don't.

Here is an example of one I found. I believe this will work. It has been some time since I owned one.

Larsen NMOTLP Trunk mount, NMO, UHF/M | TESSCO

Of course, I encourage you to weigh all options for people who want to suggest other models. Hope this works for you.

DWW

It does have a tube like thing with two set screws in it on the bottom of of the antenna is this mabey the microchoke section for 800 mhz your are refering to? if so what is it for an how is it used?0000

N5TWB

Just so you will know, this antenna mounts on a magnetic mount as well. I can surely attest to the Larsen magnetic mount because it would take a hydraulic-powered winch to pull this baby off of the vehicle. When driving at speeds above 75, this little baby hugs on to the metal. But, not everyone likes this type of mount because it can be unkind to car paint. Still, I would buy another one of these great antennas. That was a well-constructed radio antenna.

Forgot about the MM option, mostly for the reasons you state about scratches on paint. I agree it is a very strong magnet mount and holds well at highway speeds.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Calculated Risk For Me

Forgot about the MM option, mostly for the reasons you state about scratches on paint. I agree it is a very strong magnet mount and holds well at highway speeds.

Yes, you are 100% correct on traumatized paint from magnetic mounts. You might even get me started on how much I hate my car, a 2008 Nissan Versa. But, that is a different thread entirely. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.