Monroe County Chili Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

blong

As I continue to learn, I notice that when Chili Fire is dispatch it comes in much louder to a point of somewhat distorted. Now I think they be dispatching themselves from Station 1 which is almost directly 2-3 miles as the crow flies south of me. Any thoughts on this? Using an SDS 100 to monitor. Is this normal?

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Chili's tones are horrible, I'm not sure if it's equipment or overmodulation. Unless you are monitoring 154.31Mhz VHF, you are not directly
getting transmissions from the Chili base.

k2hz

Database Admin
Anything you hear on the trunked system is via the site you are monitoring. The location of the unit transmitting makes no difference.
That being said, there are variations in audio level between different units and talk groups with some definitely sounding overmodulated. This seems to be especially true of some talk groups that are linked to conventional. It is what it is and nothing to do with your scanner or the location of the units heard.

There is a "Digital AGC" option in your scanner that is supposed to limit variations in volume from different systems but I find it can make things sound worse in many cases. I do not use it.

MonroeCny

Chili has their own dispatch center at station 1 for years similar to Henrietta and Gates. They transmit their own tones through their console/paging encoder which probably is why it can sound awful sometimes. Anything you hear from their dispatch on the Fire 5 or Ops 5 talkgroup is patched from the VHF system. Sometime after the first of the year they will be eliminating their dispatch center and having County ECD dispatch them. ECD was testing Chili tones on Fire 5 maybe a month ago and they sounded much better.

blong

Thanks for the clarification, I know when I was monitoring the conventional channel for years they sounded "booming" (over modulated) So I get it now, thanks to both for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.