Monroe County Harris System

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Nobody in New York state is capable of learning from anyone else's mistakes. They have to screw it up for themselves.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Ahhh the joys of Harris, that was Tyco M/A - Com, that was Erriccson that was GE/Erriccson.... Anyone starting to see patterns here? And nope its not an P25 Phase 2 issue. Its not an P25 issue at all. Its planning and design failure in Genesee.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
They have switched all Monroe county ems/fire channels but Monroe ambulance to phase 2. They did this Monday morning. I have my phase 1 portable that went intermittent at that time. My BCD536HP has confirmed the Phase 2 traffic showing pt0 pt1 instead of p25. It is odd though, sometimes it will show p25 and my phase 1 portable will pick up the audio. Almost like they are simulcasting phase 1 and 2.. I've heard a lot of radio center testing tones and 1234's as well, mainly the only traffic I hear on my portable now... all the vhf patched is Phase 2.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
Standard P25 operation:

If all radios in the cell on that talkgroup are Phase 2, the transmission will be Phase 2. If ONE radio is Phase 1 on the talkgroup in that cell, then the transmission will be Phase 1 for all in that cell.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
436HP or 325P2

My BCD536HP has confirmed the Phase 2 traffic showing pt0 pt1 instead of p25.

Just out of curiousity, how is your BCD536HP doing on the system now that they are using both Phase 1 and Phase 2? (Yes, I know, totally dependent on where you are located ... just curious.)

I have a BCD396XT that had reception that was almost flawless once I found the sweet spot for it in my office. Of course now that the system is using Phase 2 as well, I'm missing all that traffic.

I have a PRO-668 that is doing "OK" (and I know now that it actually works on Phase 2!) but I haven't found the right combination of location and settings to get it to work as well on the system, even on Phase 1 traffic. (The 396XT does much better on Monroe Ambulance traffic, for instance.) I did just turn on global attenuation on the 668 and that seems to have helped tremendously, probably because it's helping with the simulcast issue.

I've been toying with the idea of getting either a BCD325P2 or BCD436HP for quite a while, but had decided to wait since there was no Phase 2 in Monroe County. Looks like I may have to reevaluate that postponement. Of course, if I am going to buy something I need to pick first. And no, "both" is not an option at this point!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
New radios

Standard P25 operation:

If all radios in the cell on that talkgroup are Phase 2, the transmission will be Phase 2. If ONE radio is Phase 1 on the talkgroup in that cell, then the transmission will be Phase 1 for all in that cell.

Interesting. Tonight I'm seeing both P1 and P2 traffic. EMS and Fire 5 are Phase 1 again. I am also seeing some radio IDs other than the 99793xx ones that must be the patches from the VHF channels. Looks like some of the agencies are getting their new radios.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
Interesting. Tonight I'm seeing both P1 and P2 traffic. EMS and Fire 5 are Phase 1 again. I am also seeing some radio IDs other than the 99793xx ones that must be the patches from the VHF channels. Looks like some of the agencies are getting their new radios.

The county...well Harris is doing the installs for EMS. County wants them all on the system by the end of January.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
Just out of curiousity, how is your BCD536HP doing on the system now that they are using both Phase 1 and Phase 2? (Yes, I know, totally dependent on where you are located ... just curious.)

I have a BCD396XT that had reception that was almost flawless once I found the sweet spot for it in my office. Of course now that the system is using Phase 2 as well, I'm missing all that traffic.

I have a PRO-668 that is doing "OK" (and I know now that it actually works on Phase 2!) but I haven't found the right combination of location and settings to get it to work as well on the system, even on Phase 1 traffic. (The 396XT does much better on Monroe Ambulance traffic, for instance.) I did just turn on global attenuation on the 668 and that seems to have helped tremendously, probably because it's helping with the simulcast issue.

I've been toying with the idea of getting either a BCD325P2 or BCD436HP for quite a while, but had decided to wait since there was no Phase 2 in Monroe County. Looks like I may have to reevaluate that postponement. Of course, if I am going to buy something I need to pick first. And no, "both" is not an option at this point!

Honestly, It is hit and miss. When i lock onto only the east tower it sounds a little better. It is very choppy or garbled. Sometimes it wont even pick up the transmission i hear on the VHF side. That is for both phase 1 and 2. I have my scanner hooked into a 1/4 wave VHF antenna on my roof. I will have to disconnect it and try a 700/800 antenna.

I am just bummed I am going to have to use the agencies harris radio or spend money on a phase 2 moto.

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Gates Ambulance first

The county...well Harris is doing the installs for EMS. County wants them all on the system by the end of January.

Based on the unit numbers I'm hearing when the new radio IDs pop up , it looks like Gates Ambulance was the first agency.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
Based on the unit numbers I'm hearing when the new radio IDs pop up , it looks like Gates Ambulance was the first agency.

Gates Ambulance is one of the sites that everyone is going to to have the radios installed. so that would explain that. should be an interesting transition. I know my agency is keeping the VHF radios in service in our vehicles.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The plot thickens

Interesting. This morning I was seeing mostly Phase 1 traffic with a bit of Phase 2.

This afternoon everything seems to be back to purely Phase 1, even on the fireground channels (which had been Phase 2, even though I'm pretty sure the only usage was the simulcast from VHF).

Guess it's a good thing I didn't hit "order" on that new scanner, eh?

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
Interesting. This morning I was seeing mostly Phase 1 traffic with a bit of Phase 2.

This afternoon everything seems to be back to purely Phase 1, even on the fireground channels (which had been Phase 2, even though I'm pretty sure the only usage was the simulcast from VHF).

Guess it's a good thing I didn't hit "order" on that new scanner, eh?

Yes Gates EMS and one of the P's on the east side have UID's on the new system. it looks like this morning all traffic went to phase 1 again. Hopefully it stays that way!

Last edited:

d_strong

I'm running my BCD536HP with the radio shack 800Mhz antenna. what settings are you using? I have my set to Manual 8, and the ATT is turned on. Listening to the East tower.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
I'm running my BCD536HP with the radio shack 800Mhz antenna. what settings are you using? I have my set to Manual 8, and the ATT is turned on. Listening to the East tower.

i programmed all control channels into one site, and am using manual 6. seems to work well.

Nozzlenut77

Monroe Ontario

I have pulled my hair out trying to program a BCD996XT for a friend and now I went and bought a BCD996P2
for myself. I am using Freescan to program them and I only get Conv. coverage for Monroe and Ontario Counties.
I have followed simple directions for trunk radio installs via Youtube.
I know that it is a setting issue, I just dont know which one...

I live in Victor area of Ontario county. (BTW I have a GRE PSR600 at work and I have that on the trunk after using Win500 to program it)

Mike
Volunteer Fire Fighter

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Phase 2 again

Yes Gates EMS and one of the P's on the east side have UID's on the new system. it looks like this morning all traffic went to phase 1 again. Hopefully it stays that way!

Well, for those keeping score at home ....

Was out of town for Christmas so haven't been listening much until today. Looks like most (but not all) of the rigs have the new radios. I *think* I caught one or two base stations who were on the trunked system too but I'm not certain.

What I AM certain of is that I've seen a bit more Phase 2 traffic. In every case it was on one of the fire channels, not the EMS one. A couple times I heard one of the ambulances talking to the dispatcher, and another time I heard a unit doing a radio check.

Gee, maybe I do need that BCD436HP after all ....

D

DaveNF2G

Sounds like the EMS units carry Phase 2 with them wherever they transmit, which makes sense.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Well, for those keeping score at home ....

Was out of town for Christmas so haven't been listening much until today. Looks like most (but not all) of the rigs have the new radios. I *think* I caught one or two base stations who were on the trunked system too but I'm not certain.

What I AM certain of is that I've seen a bit more Phase 2 traffic. In every case it was on one of the fire channels, not the EMS one. A couple times I heard one of the ambulances talking to the dispatcher, and another time I heard a unit doing a radio check.

Gee, maybe I do need that BCD436HP after all ....
I have a BCD436 w/GPS in the car driving up to Rochester Weds. I had Ontario and Monroe counties PH2 in my FL. via NYS T- Way Ontario kicked in about Geneva reception was 4-5 bars listen to a couple calls sounded fine. Monroe kicked in about Victor reception was also 4-5 bars the patch made it sound pretty bad but understandable. the volume was double just about blew my speaker out ! Driving around Henrietta, Gates, Chili reception was good but only PH1. ( Sallen07 I would recommend to get the BCD436 or 536 the filter included does help with reception.)

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Not following you

Sounds like the EMS units carry Phase 2 with them wherever they transmit, which makes sense.

Sorry but I'm not following you.

I believe that earlier in the thread someone (maybe even you) stated that if all the radios affiliated with a particular talk group were Phase 2 capable then all the transmissions would be Phase 2, but if one radio was only capable of Phase 1 then everything would be Phase 1 (which makes sense).

All of the traffic I've seen on the EMS dispatch talk group has been Phase 1. Most of that traffic is now direct on the P25 system, not patched, with the notable exception of the dispatcher. I'm also pretty certain that the patch is two-way, so native traffic on the P25 system is being rebroadcast on the VHF channel.

But I've seen transmissions from a couple ambulances on one of the fire talk groups (sorry, can't recall if it was the dispatch one or one of the fireground TGs) that were Phase 2. These are ambulances that are (or were, in one case) part of a fire department rather than independent, so they've always been dispatched on the Fire channel.

MonroeCny

Brighton Ambulance, Brockport Ambulance, Chili Ambulance, Gates Ambulance, Greece Ambulance, Hamlin Ambulance, Henrietta Ambulance, Honeoye Falls-Mendon Ambulance, Irondequoit Ambulance, Northeast Quadrant ALS, Penfield Ambulance, Perinton Ambulance, Pittsford Ambulance, RIT Ambulance, Southeast Quadrant ALS, Union Hill Ambulance, and Scottsville Ambulance should all be on the new system.

Attached are the 5 zones and talkgroups in each zone for the mobiles and portables. Mobiles are Harris XG-75M scan version and portables are Harris XG-25P scan versions. Some of the TGs are patched through to the VHF side but there are a lot of new tactical/working TGs added. The "Direct" zone is completely analog, not P25. Each agency was given their own encrypted TG for internal use also.

Attachments

• TG.jpg
    TG.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.