Montclair pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
There seems to be a very odd dead spot up by the top of the hill on Bloomfield Ave down to Pompton Ave. However, I can hear them loud and clear all the way down the parkway by the Driscoll Bridge area and as far west as Mountain Lakes/Parsippany.
 

johnls7424

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
1,324
Reaction score
0
Location
Somewhere in NJ
There seems to be a very odd dead spot up by the top of the hill on Bloomfield Ave down to Pompton Ave. However, I can hear them loud and clear all the way down the parkway by the Driscoll Bridge area and as far west as Mountain Lakes/Parsippany.

Are you monitoring them on one of their Harris XG-25P portables or simply from a Phase 2 scanner?
 

johnls7424

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
1,324
Reaction score
0
Location
Somewhere in NJ
MPD uses APX6000i portables & 6500 mobiles. Where are you getting Harris from?

I have personally seen more the 1 Montclair PD officer carrying and using Harris radios. Within the past 2 months. I work up in Montclair quite frequently and have screen their department use Harris radios with my own two eyes.
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
There seems to be a very odd dead spot up by the top of the hill on Bloomfield Ave down to Pompton Ave. However, I can hear them loud and clear all the way down the parkway by the Driscoll Bridge area and as far west as Mountain Lakes/Parsippany.

Are you talking about the Montclair TRS, or their simulcast on NJICS? The PD is on both. I live right on the West Orange/Montclair border and have a hard time pulling in the Montclair TRS.
 

W2SJW

Senior Member
Database Admin
Joined
Nov 22, 2001
Messages
3,272
Reaction score
197
Location
Northwest NJ
I have personally seen more the 1 Montclair PD officer carrying and using Harris radios. Within the past 2 months. I work up in Montclair quite frequently and have screen their department use Harris radios with my own two eyes.

My friend's been on the force for 17 years & was sending me pics the entire time of the transition - the only radios they tested were the APX6000Li and the Tait TP9400...
 

johnls7424

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
1,324
Reaction score
0
Location
Somewhere in NJ
If it wasn't privacy violations involved I would love to snap a photo to show you in a PM the radios portables only Ive witrnessed their patrol division using. Was a XG-25P series radio. Couldn't of been, but 2 months ago. Late Sept into early Oct. Ask your friend if their patrol division has officer(s) issued Harris portables
 

radiomanNJ1

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
789
Reaction score
3
Location
In the land of make believe
That is part of what P25 is about. Multiple vendors with the same protocol. I know that Motorola has proprietary features that Harris/Tait do not have. I could be a trial or a price issue.
 

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Messages
131
Reaction score
34
Location
Northern NJ
Motorola APX6000LI, I can confirm no Harris radios in MPD NJ. Some cars still have their old motorolas and the channels are patched to transmit across the old and new system through dispatch console.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Messages
131
Reaction score
34
Location
Northern NJ
Does anyone know why Montclair Fire sounds so bad on 500.3625? I live literally on the Montclair border and their signal is constantly fading in and out, even with my outdoor antenna. Is it low power or just a bad radio system? From what I understand their repeater is on top of Mountainside Hospital which is no more than a mile or two from my house.


Also just FYI, there is a repeater on top of Mountainside Hospital, but it is typically turned off. The Battalion chief will physically notify dispatch to turn it on for certain calls in Glen Ridge/inside Mountainside Hospital directly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

W2SJW

Senior Member
Database Admin
Joined
Nov 22, 2001
Messages
3,272
Reaction score
197
Location
Northwest NJ
Motorola APX6000LI, I can confirm no Harris radios in MPD NJ.

I heard back from my friend yesterday confirming this - the Harris models were considered by the tech division, but only the APX and Tait models ever made it to real-world tests.
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
Also just FYI, there is a repeater on top of Mountainside Hospital, but it is typically turned off. The Battalion chief will physically notify dispatch to turn it on for certain calls in Glen Ridge/inside Mountainside Hospital directly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems odd. What would be the purpose of having it turned off? I noticed some days Montclair FD sounds better than others. Maybe that's the reason.
 

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
4,490
Reaction score
2,379
Location
AES-256 secured
It's a standalone repeater so it wouldn't matter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
4,490
Reaction score
2,379
Location
AES-256 secured
You said you noticed some days the FD sounds better than others and that maybe having that repeater turned on would be the reason.

A standalone repeater is a repeater that is not connected to a series of other repeaters in a system such as a simulcast setup. So regardless, if the repeater was turned on full time it wouldn't increase coverage in their entire area of response, it would only help in the area where the repeater is situated to cover. So leaving it on full-time wouldn't matter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

BIODTL1997

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
24
Location
Northeast, NJ
Also just FYI, there is a repeater on top of Mountainside Hospital, but it is typically turned off. The Battalion chief will physically notify dispatch to turn it on for certain calls in Glen Ridge/inside Mountainside Hospital directly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not heard this once in the 8 years I've been living here and monitoring every day.

You may be confusing this with the Glen Ridge EMS/PD TAC channel (470.3375) which indeed lives atop Mountainside hospital and is used as a GR PD backup during power failures at their HQ.

The Montclair Township TRS and FD repeaters operate out of 2 sites; one is at PD HQ and the other north and up the hill on a water tower off of Crestmont Dr.

Here is some data to help clear up the confusion:

Monclair Police Headquarters site
AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

Crestmont Rd Water Tower site
AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

Mountainside Hospital site
AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.
 

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 18, 2015
Messages
131
Reaction score
34
Location
Northern NJ
I have not heard this once in the 8 years I've been living here and monitoring every day.



You may be confusing this with the Glen Ridge EMS/PD TAC channel (470.3375) which indeed lives atop Mountainside hospital and is used as a GR PD backup during power failures at their HQ.



The Montclair Township TRS and FD repeaters operate out of 2 sites; one is at PD HQ and the other north and up the hill on a water tower off of Crestmont Dr.



Here is some data to help clear up the confusion:



Monclair Police Headquarters site

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.



Crestmont Rd Water Tower site

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.



Mountainside Hospital site

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.


As a Dispatcher for the departments I can confirm its true.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top