Morgan County Noob! Where to start?

ebelew

Curmudgeon
Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, I had an old Bearcat scanner you changed the crystals in. It's been gone a long time. Family just bought me a BCD996P2 (and I got ProScan), and I'm thankful. But a lot has changed since the analog days.

I think I got it scanning out of the database here, but it seems to just be maintenance, jail and a lot of industrial. Where would be the best place to start and get the local LEOs working and then continue on to learn more? I'm an IT system admin, so digital isn't foreign to me, just scanners.

ebelew

Curmudgeon
Premium Subscriber
This needs to be to be reworded. Where do I get more information on things like.

"What are talk groups and their function?"
"What are trunks and their function?"
"What is P25 and its function?"
I have the manual and the software and can figure out programming. I just don't know what type to look for and program based on what I'm trying to get to show up on my scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a ProScan file for Morgan County. Your scanner will be scanning the AIRS Decatur site only when you upload it. You can toggle the 4 sites on and off by pressing 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the scanner keypad while the scanner is in Scan mode. Save the attached file to your computer and open with ProScan. Upload the file to your scanner. The second PDF file will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. Print it out and save it for your reference. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. AIRS Decatur (Site)
2. AIRS Trinity (Site)
3. AIRS Laceys Spr (Site)
4. AIRS Falkville (Site)
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. MorgCo Fire/Resc
2. MorgCo Fire Priv
3. MorgCo EMS
4. MorgCo EMS/Hosp
5. MorgCo Law
6. Decatur PubWorks
7. Decatur Fire
8. Decatur Police
9. Hartselle Fire

Attachments

• Morgan Co AL.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 3

ebelew

Curmudgeon
Premium Subscriber
Here is a ProScan file for Morgan County. Your scanner will be scanning the AIRS Decatur site only when you upload it. You can toggle the 4 sites on and off by pressing 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the scanner keypad while the scanner is in Scan mode. Save the attached file to your computer and open with ProScan. Upload the file to your scanner. The second PDF file will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. Print it out and save it for your reference. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. AIRS Decatur (Site)
2. AIRS Trinity (Site)
3. AIRS Laceys Spr (Site)
4. AIRS Falkville (Site)
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. MorgCo Fire/Resc
2. MorgCo Fire Priv
3. MorgCo EMS
4. MorgCo EMS/Hosp
5. MorgCo Law
6. Decatur PubWorks
7. Decatur Fire
8. Decatur Police
9. Hartselle Fire
Thank you very much. This will help me get started and maybe "reverse engineer" how this works and put in surrounding counties and state channels.

ebelew

Curmudgeon
Premium Subscriber
So do I understand that it only scans AIRS and not the other channels you set up. I do plan on adding surrounding counties but I'll give it shot first. I've got a lot of reading and videos to watch.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Hopefully, the file will show you how to setup P25 systems. If you have conventional frequencies, you will need to create a conventional system to enter them. Conventional frequencies do not have sites. Each frequency is complete within itself. An exception is that conventional DMR frequencies need to be programmed as One Freq Trunk (OFT) to gain access to talkgroups and slots.