• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto Spectra's Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio_Shop

I have about 200 motorola spectras that were going to get thrown away. I took them just for the scrap circuit boards and aluminium housings. Now im all about recyling re purposing and re using, so I wanted to know being non narrowbandable is there any other use for these things before I tear into them? I think all of them are uhf

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Still very usable by the amateur radio community (assuming they'll do 440-450).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I scrapped a few old 800MHz Spectras….

As Kirk said, unless they are the band split that covers the 70cm amateur band, they are not of much use. I don't think they have Part 95 certification, so no good on GMRS. Not being able to do narrow band, that rules them out for any commercial or public safety use.

Other than amateur or receive only use, they are likely worth more in scrap than anything else. Some hefty chunks of aluminum, although it'll take you a few minutes each to strip them down. If you can program them, you might be able to get $40 or so each from the amateur community.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Depending on ones skill level, all Spectras are still quite usable.

Either VHF range will work on 2 meters, range 1, 2, and 3 UHF are usable on the 70 cm ham band. Range 3 is usable for GMRS. There is no published Part 95 type acceptance list, you ask the FCC to make a determination. Or don't ask - a Spectra would be fine. Range 4 is still usable on T band. Especially as a monitor receiver. 800 Spectras can be used as conventional radios, and 900 Spectras are great for ham band use.

If you clean them, recap them, and program them, you could get a lot more then if you sell them as is.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Spectras are still legal for GMRS and T-band, there is no requirement to NB on those frequencies. You can also take useless 800mhz command and RF boards and re-purpose them in the VHF and UHF radios and make them NB compatable. When I can buy a 110 watt VHF or UHF radio for $25.00 or less and then spend another $30.00 or less for a 800 mhz one, I can make a good 110w radio, now that's a bargain.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Spectras are still legal for GMRS and T-band, there is no requirement to NB on those frequencies. You can also take useless 800mhz command and RF boards and re-purpose them in the VHF and UHF radios and make them NB compatable. When I can buy a 110 watt VHF or UHF radio for $25.00 or less and then spend another $30.00 or less for a 800 mhz one, I can make a good 110w radio, now that's a bargain.

This is the beauty of the Spectra. They are solid reliable (once the caps have been changed) radios that are quite hackable. They can be used as-is on ham bands, or can be moved up or down some. I've heard of 900 MHz RF boards being put into VHF or UHF radios to narrow band the receiver, since the 900 boards have a true NB IF filter, although I haven't found it necessary. All of my VHF and UHF monitoring is done with Spectras.

800 Spectras can be used as control channel receivers, or for those of us in the business, as conventional monitors to listen to the systems we maintain. 900 Spectras can be made into repeater receivers for those that want to build an inexpensive 900 ham repeater. And so on.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is no published Part 95 type acceptance list, you ask the FCC to make a determination. Or don't ask - a Spectra would be fine.

Right, there isn't a "list", but if you run the FCC ID on the radio, it will tell you what sections it is approved for. This has been beaten to death, the GMRS rules clearly state that to use a radio on GMRS it must have part 95 acceptance.
Of course few bother to follow the rules, so it's a moot point.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Right, there isn't a "list", but if you run the FCC ID on the radio, it will tell you what sections it is approved for. This has been beaten to death, the GMRS rules clearly state that to use a radio on GMRS it must have part 95 acceptance.

Yes, but there are relatively few radios specifically listed as GMRS type approved. Most UHF part 90 radios meet the same technical requirements required for part 95 approval, but have never been submitted.

Part 90 radios have been used in licensed part 95 installations as far back as I, or anyone else, can remember.

Of course few bother to follow the rules, so it's a moot point.

In this specific case, yes... there are a lot of people not strictly following the rules. The FCC is well aware of the fact that they have created a Catch 22 situation... the requirement for type approval for Part 95 radios, and an egregious lack of Part 95 type approved radios available for use.

So long as one is operating within the specific technical standards (TPO, frequency stability, BW, etc.) I would challenge you, and everyone else, to show a single documented case where someone was cited for using non-type approved equipment in Part 95.

You won't, because they don't strictly enforce it. A moot point, indeed.

My suggestion to anyone contemplating running on GMRS is, if you want an excellent but inexpensive radio, a Spectra would top the list. The FCC isn't going to bother you one bit if you do.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You won't, because they don't strictly enforce it. A moot point, indeed.

I hear what you are saying, but picking and choosing which rules/laws to follow and which to not follow is not a good example to new comers. There are Part 95 accepted mobiles out there, many of the older Icom's are. Lack of enforcement isn't the same as permission.

cmdrwill

I do not see where the OP listed any ID numbers, or Model numbers.

Some of us still run Spectras, and I would not want it any different. WAY too many problems with the later stuff from /\/\.

Radio_Shop

I would just like to get rid of all of them some still transmit some dont I dont have the ability to program them. Like i said i think i have close to 200. Pm me for details not trying to get rich off them just want them to go to use, if i keep them they are going to get broken down and scrapped.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I would just like to get rid of all of them some still transmit some dont I dont have the ability to program them. Like i said i think i have close to 200. Pm me for details not trying to get rich off them just want them to go to use, if i keep them they are going to get broken down and scrapped.

Put them up on ebay and sell them in lots of 5 or 10 at a time. Don't expect to get top dollar for them, but you'll probably at least sell them.

When you sell them, show a photograph of the label. Black labels are more recent than silver labels, so will go for a slightly higher price. Buyers will need to know what band they are for, and that can be determined by the model number. The firmware version can also affect the price, but you have tio either open it up and know where to look, or you have to read the radio with the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.