• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX 8000 Flash Upgrade

cja1987

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

Posting here cause my motorola sales rep seems a bit confused.

I'm trying to get an APX 8000 upgraded to support hardware AES.

I keep getting quoted "CA00182AR ADD: AES Encryption Software" after trying to explain Id prefer to implement as "hardware" in CPS.

Is there a list of the specific codes (ie the CA00182AR) above that pertain to upgrade flashes for APX 8000's that anyone could point me to? I want something to be able to spoon feed to him so he can quote it. I understand he should know but figured I might get a faster response here...

Thanks!!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Adding hardware AES to an APX doesn't require any FLASH upgrade. You simply need a KVL that has AES algo upgrades. Make sure the codeplug/radio is in Hardware secure mode, then use the KVL to add the AES algo/keyload.

Be careful, as older AES algo upgrades can cause issues if the APX is at a recent firmware release. There's an MTN out there explaining it.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Hi All,

Posting here cause my motorola sales rep seems a bit confused.

I'm trying to get an APX 8000 upgraded to support hardware AES.

I keep getting quoted "CA00182AR ADD: AES Encryption Software" after trying to explain Id prefer to implement as "hardware" in CPS.

Is there a list of the specific codes (ie the CA00182AR) above that pertain to upgrade flashes for APX 8000's that anyone could point me to? I want something to be able to spoon feed to him so he can quote it. I understand he should know but figured I might get a faster response here...

Thanks!!!
You'll have to get it upgraded via a KVL.

cja1987

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for the fast response guys!!!

I have a KVL 5000 that is still in the box, its about 8 months old. All I have done is turn it on and set the passwords.

Is there a way to find out if the keyloader came with any Algo adds? If it does not have any, how should I word it to the Motorola Sales Rep? Ask him process for adding AES algo(s) to my existing Keyloader? How are those "delievered"? I can tell you the Keyloader is provisioned for ADP and AES 256 currently but no idea if it can "add" the algo to a radio.

Wont use names and my location in my profile is accurate as of 15 years ago, lol ie I dont even live and work where it says anymore but I will just say that dealing with the motorola rep my agency is stuck with is a bit of a struggle.

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks all for the replies. The ENC thing is new to me and not using much but the day has come that its needed for some interop. The codeplug Im working with will have some AES 256 and some ADP and want/need to implement both as hardware. Multikey is already in the radios flash so I believe Im good there.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The KVL 5000 comes out of the box with the ability to create/load AES keys, however it does not come with AES upgrades unless you specifically purchased them when ordering the KVL. You'll likely need to order AES upgrades, which come on a CD that needs to then be loaded into the KVL. The KVL 5000 user guide explains the process.

cja1987

Premium Subscriber
The KVL 5000 comes out of the box with the ability to create/load AES keys, however it does not come with AES upgrades unless you specifically purchased them when ordering the KVL. You'll likely need to order AES upgrades, which come on a CD that needs to then be loaded into the KVL. The KVL 5000 user guide explains the process.

Perfect. Will dig into that.

Thank You for all the specific information, it is very helpful!!!

If anybody else has any pointers/experiences with these upgrades feel free to share experience.

Thanks all!!!

hitechRadio

They will need the Serial and Model of your KVL. (They may request Model/Serial of radio also, although not needed) They will send you a CD that is specific to your KVL.
Follow the instructions on the CD to install the upgrade/s in your KVL. Your KVL will be used to add the AES ALGO.

If you plan on adding more than one key, you will need the multi-key option (unless your already have it). They will need your FlashCode, model and serial. And can either get a Blue Dongle USB, or entitlement ID for upgrade.

If any upgrades exist in KVL it would be under Settings>Manage Firmware>External module firmware

Last edited:

Radio147

Hi,
Newbie here in the world of radios. What is an Entitlement ID? Do I have to buy it separately?

Here is the context. I need to do an AES Encryption Update to a few APX 4000. My shop working with the Motorola rep directed me to get the software, which comes in 2 CD:
ADD: AES Encryption Software
ADD: DES, DES-XL, DES-OFB

My shop comes back to me and asked if a 32-digit code was shipped with the CDs. We unfortunately threw the packaging away already.
It was further clarified that he was looking for the Entitlement ID.
We opened a case with Motorola to see if we can retrieve the said ID, but so far no success.
I don't see a line item for the said ID in the purchase invoice.

Thanks a lot in advance.

hitechRadio

Hi,
Newbie here in the world of radios. What is an Entitlement ID? Do I have to buy it separately?

Here is the context. I need to do an AES Encryption Update to a few APX 4000. My shop working with the Motorola rep directed me to get the software, which comes in 2 CD:
ADD: AES Encryption Software
ADD: DES, DES-XL, DES-OFB

My shop comes back to me and asked if a 32-digit code was shipped with the CDs. We unfortunately threw the packaging away already.
It was further clarified that he was looking for the Entitlement ID.
We opened a case with Motorola to see if we can retrieve the said ID, but so far no success.
I don't see a line item for the said ID in the purchase invoice.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Should be able to get it thru Licensing Portal, have to go there anyway. Apparently you were also doing a Flashcode change also? Multikey, I am guessing?

Never through away the packaging, I did that ONCE also. Should not be a big deal, your not the first.

K2NEC

Those CD's contain instructions and a .BIN file that's then loaded into the KVL. The KVL will then add the algo's to the radio.

I'm guessing they didn't include a blue iButton in the packaging?

Radio147

Those CD's contain instructions and a .BIN file that's then loaded into the KVL. The KVL will then add the algo's to the radio.

I'm guessing they didn't include a blue iButton in the packaging?
Unfortunately, when the package arrived, my team unaware of what it is, opened the box and just passed the CDs to me. I am not sure if the iButton was in the packaging or not. The packaging has since been disposed of.

Is it standard practice that the iButton would be shipped with the CDs? Thanks.

K2NEC

With the CD's to add the algo's would come the iButton to do the flash upgrade to add Multikey (if that's what you ordered). There would also be some "I've been flashed" stickers and label stickers that reflect the flash upgrade.

As @hitechRadio said, you could get an entitlement or an iButton. The iButton looks like a blue USB with a transparent case

Radio147

Thanks @K2NEC, @hitechRadio. If there was any iButton, we threw that out already, sounds like entitlement is the route.

For the entitlement route, how do I get that? Since I don't have access to the Licensing Portal... Would that be something my shop has access to?

K2NEC

Who was the point of contact that you ordered from? They may be able to assist you

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Unfortunately, when the package arrived, my team unaware of what it is, opened the box and just passed the CDs to me. I am not sure if the iButton was in the packaging or not. The packaging has since been disposed of.

Is it standard practice that the iButton would be shipped with the CDs? Thanks.
Yes, the iButton would be in the same box (about 8” X 6” X 2”) as the CDs along with the “I’ve Been Flashed” stickers and the new flash code stickers.

Thanks @K2NEC, @hitechRadio. If there was any iButton, we threw that out already, sounds like entitlement is the route.
You’ll probably have to pay for the upgrades again, no matter which route you take; Mother M never gives anything away, especially in a situation like this. They just have no way of verifying if someone is trying to pull a fast one or not.

If my staff had done something like that, some sort of progressive discipline would result, starting with at least a reprimand letter (depending on the $$ value). They likely pitched a lot of money into the trash.

Fortunately I’m retired and i don’t have to worry about that sort of thing any more.

For the entitlement route, how do I get that? Since I don't have access to the Licensing Portal... Would that be something my shop has access to?
I would certainly hope so, unless you’re the one who does all the ordering. If you have a Moto account and access to MOL or MyMoto or whatever they call it this week, you should also have access to the licensing portal. I did.

Last edited:

Radio147

Well, after jumping through some hoops, I set up the Licensing Portal stuff. Requesting a reissue of the iButton or an EID, whichever works. We will see how it goes. Thanks all for you input.

Radio147

Turns out what is going on is the radio is set to have Encryption off when shipped, and it can only be flipped by sending back to Depot. I am currently working with Motorola to figure out how to send them back, which in and of itself is quite a lot of work.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Turns out what is going on is the radio is set to have Encryption off when shipped, and it can only be flipped by sending back to Depot. I am currently working with Motorola to figure out how to send them back, which in and of itself is quite a lot of work.
GFL! As I've said, NEVER order with zero encryption. If you have a "friendly" ST they may be able to assist you.