• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX 8000 Troubleshooting Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently picked up an APX 8000 from an estate sale. I repair/refurbish and resell small electronics. Typically pc/laptops tablets, mobiles ect. This was a first foray into portable radios.

Before buying i checked the unit out, which powered on and showed menu items and such, and also a very low battery warning, then powered off.

Feeling confident in the sale and resale possibilities I brought it home, ordered a new base recharge station and battery figuring old battery should be replaced first off.

Now the issues lol

Charged new battery until green solid light, plug into handset and all the handset does is turn on, shows Motorola on screen and APX8000 on top window and then powers back down.

Read around thinking maybe there was a way to do factory default resetting using key press and power on combinations, and somehow was able to trigger flashzap which seems to NOT power off immediately but not what I was thinking/looking for.

Im not sure of FW version only that the flashport version says H38 and manufactured in 2021..

Im feeling there is a simple solution to this as I saw it functional with my own eyes, however, I cant seem to find any Troubleshooting advice that would be helpful.

Im hoping someone here can either help or point in an actual helpful direction.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
what you have is an Inhibited radio There is no reset other than to send it back into Motorola who will notify the original owner they have an inhibited radio they can reset it for them . It was probably lost or stolen and shut off remotely

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
what you have is an Inhibited radio There is no reset other than to send it back into Motorola who will notify the original owner they have an inhibited radio they can reset it for them . It was probably lost or stolen and shut off remotely

This is exactly what is going on.
I bet a local public safety agency is looking for that radio. (I say public safety police/fire/ems as no public works agency is gonna have APX 8000s....at least none here in the Southeast).
That radio is in the inhibit list on someone locals system.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Hmm...I admit I've not inhibited an APX lately, but I don't recall the display showing anything, not even for a split second. @KE4ZNR can you test that for us?

This isnt blank, it shows the Motorola logo and APX8000 in the windows
I want to point out: The original Empres 2 battery that it had, which powered up the original test, refused to charge on the bay, just flashed green light. Upon reading some, I thought it maybe an older battery not initialized, so got the second battery. 2nd battery is aftermarket non Empres 2 and seems it is less voltage than the original.. not sure that makes much difference or not..

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
What did you pay for it? Just want to know how much it's going to hurt when you do the right thing and return the lost/stolen property to the agency that is certainly missing that inhibited radio. Any other disposition of it, before verifying that it's in fact NOT stolen, would most likely be unethical and immoral, and probably illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.