• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Motorola APX 8000 Troubleshooting Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently picked up an APX 8000 from an estate sale. I repair/refurbish and resell small electronics. Typically pc/laptops tablets, mobiles ect. This was a first foray into portable radios.

Before buying i checked the unit out, which powered on and showed menu items and such, and also a very low battery warning, then powered off.

Feeling confident in the sale and resale possibilities I brought it home, ordered a new base recharge station and battery figuring old battery should be replaced first off.

Now the issues lol

Charged new battery until green solid light, plug into handset and all the handset does is turn on, shows Motorola on screen and APX8000 on top window and then powers back down.

Read around thinking maybe there was a way to do factory default resetting using key press and power on combinations, and somehow was able to trigger flashzap which seems to NOT power off immediately but not what I was thinking/looking for.

Im not sure of FW version only that the flashport version says H38 and manufactured in 2021..

Im feeling there is a simple solution to this as I saw it functional with my own eyes, however, I cant seem to find any Troubleshooting advice that would be helpful.

Im hoping someone here can either help or point in an actual helpful direction.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
what you have is an Inhibited radio There is no reset other than to send it back into Motorola who will notify the original owner they have an inhibited radio they can reset it for them . It was probably lost or stolen and shut off remotely

K2NEC

Why are members offering to buy it for parts when a) it's likely stolen or at the very least of questionable pedigree and b) this is not the classified section?
OP never said it was for sale and my lame attempt at suggesting that I would take parts is hardly an offer for anything...

On the contrary had I said "I'll give you $100 for it", THAT is an offer

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
OP: post the serial number. Plenty of folks on this forum can identify the provenance of the radio. It's mostly likely lost/stolen/not turned in. You can bet someone will be looking for it. The right thing to do is once the owner is identified, return it to them.

I agree with this. Post the radio serial number so someone in the Motorola radio programming field can search the number to see if the radio is either stolen or missing. If it is stolen maybe the city/state/county will offer a reward for finding it never know these days though.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Other than searching a system you administrate, what resources are out there to find the owner of a lost/stolen radio? Is there maybe a more radio-oriented repository than NCIC?

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I want to point out: The original Empres 2 battery that it had, which powered up the original test, refused to charge on the bay, just flashed green light. Upon reading some, I thought it maybe an older battery not initialized, so got the second battery. 2nd battery is aftermarket non Empres 2 and seems it is less voltage than the original.. not sure that makes much difference or not..
Flashing green on Motorola chargers generally means the battery is >90% charged. I don't think IMPRES (2) is any different. Don't rule out getting a refund. It's one thing if something you buy at an auction doesn't work, but it's quite another if it is not theirs to sell.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Motorola certainly has records of what agency originally purchased it. While they may not give you that information, if you were to ask Motorola to reach out to that agency, see if it's missing, lost, or stolen, and let them know that you want to return it to them, they can have someone from that agency contact you. And quite often, in a case like this, the department will reimburse you for what you paid for it, if it
is a not unreasonable sum.

And of course you can always just look for a property/asset ID tag on the radio and use that as a clue....

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
From the OP post #1
Feeling confident in the sale and resale possibilities I brought it home, ordered a new base recharge station and battery figuring old battery should be replaced first off.

That don't mean jack in this situation as the OP admits he is a novice when it comes to radios. It is pretty darn obvious from what he has described that the radio is inhibited which means it is still in the system and on the inventory books somewhere. Anyone with a decent moral center would try to make sure the radio is not stolen/lost and still listed as a city/county asset somewhere.
Motorola would make sure it finds its way home.

R-32

If you private message me the Serial Number, Or a picture of the tag in the battery compartment..
I can tell you if it is one of our lost/stolen/inhibited portables. and allowed on our system ( I'm in the Sno/King county area).... I have access to RM/PM

No Questions asked.
I recently received back two portables ( 8000's) that were stolen from a fire station, and found in abandoned house in Portland Oregon.

I like to see where they end up.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
A number of years ago I recovered a Harris radio that actually hadn't been stolen, but had made it out into the wild, so to speak, by being included in some assorted office supplies and furnishings that had been sent out to county surplus when they closed down a department office. It was easy to figure out where it had come from, by both the programming of the radio and the asset tag.

I took my receipt and the radio down to the Sheriff's Department, spoke to some people, and ultimately I turned in the radio and the Sheriff's Department reimbursed me for what I'd paid for it. Plus a little extra for my trouble. That was MORE than fair. Especially when you consider that legally I didn't even have to turn that one in, as it was not stolen. It may have been sold at surplus by accident, but legally speaking, the deal was valid. I simply felt that this was the right thing to do. Things like this are no doubt part of the reason why I sleep so well every night. Doing the right thing, and being honest, makes life SHINE.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ok if you want to think what ever but the OP bought the radio to referb and resale not knowing anything about it.
Okay, and what's your point? He has been very clearly advised that he may be in possession of stolen property, so pleading ignorance is no longer a valid defense (putting aside the fact that in most jurisdictions ignorance is no defense in the first place).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Pretty sure I already covered that before you jumped in, but okay. Next time be a little more clear when you post, because nothing suggested that's what you were trying to get at. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.