• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola DVRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have direct user ot technician knowedge of the DVRS system. Our agency is comteplating it as a vehicle extender system and I have a few questions.

Pete

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Does anyone have direct user or technician knowedge of the DVRS system. Our agency is comteplating it as a vehicle extender system and I have a few questions.
If you have any public-safety contacts in NC, I believe that they are frequently used on the NC VIPER system. The Asheville (NC) Fire Department also uses them routinely for local fireground comms. They would probably be happy to discuss this with you.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Are you using it just as a repeater or with the Fire Accountability software system?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Our agency is contemplating it as a vehicle extender system and I have a few questions.
Actually, you should go ahead and post your questions... The Motorola DVRS boxes are available in many configurations and some folks here might be able to help. Provide as much info as possible about your intended use.

Mr_Boh

Although OP hasn't responded, I want to give a first tip when deploying a DVRS because I see this mistake WAYYY too often. Get someone who really understands RF to help with the install.... do not just give it to a shop and say "here install this". What a shop without experience will typically do if you are doing DVRS in band is just pick some random location for both antennas. Although the in-band DVRS comes with an incredibly efficient, yet incredibly expensive notch filter, you are still going to want as much physical antenna separation as possible. The most recent one I saw, the customer was using two "Mirage" antennas that were maybe a foot apart for the MSU and the DVRS. Not a time to use mirage antennas if at all it can be avoided (heck isn't the point of this device because you have fringe coverage anyway?) and this was a large vehicle where they should be physically separated as much as possible. I have also seen folks go as far as to mount the DVRS antennas with the plane 90 degrees off of the MSU to utilize the polarization as a filter.

Careful deployment will net really impressive results of the DVRS, which is what you will need when you need it most.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I've seen on the sedan's the vhf on roof, with the uhf center of trunk.

SUV I seen the uhf center in front with vhf in rear center.

Tech21

Although OP hasn't responded, I want to give a first tip when deploying a DVRS because I see this mistake WAYYY too often. Get someone who really understands RF to help with the install.... do not just give it to a shop and say "here install this". What a shop without experience will typically do if you are doing DVRS in band is just pick some random location for both antennas. Although the in-band DVRS comes with an incredibly efficient, yet incredibly expensive notch filter, you are still going to want as much physical antenna separation as possible. The most recent one I saw, the customer was using two "Mirage" antennas that were maybe a foot apart for the MSU and the DVRS. Not a time to use mirage antennas if at all it can be avoided (heck isn't the point of this device because you have fringe coverage anyway?) and this was a large vehicle where they should be physically separated as much as possible. I have also seen folks go as far as to mount the DVRS antennas with the plane 90 degrees off of the MSU to utilize the polarization as a filter.

Careful deployment will net really impressive results of the DVRS, which is what you will need when you need it most.

Recently installed one The ridge for the tower site was visible from the back side of the building. Installed two antenna's. One for 7/800 and one for VHF. A third antenna was installed about 250 feet away in the center of the common area. The separation for the first antennas was only a few feet because on the futurecom stuff only allows one antenna is connected at a time to the radio. Gave the place full coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.