• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola LEX L11 Mission Critical LTE Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

memtech3

Don't own one but it looks like the lex l11 has better ergonomics and doesn't have a speakermic connector or extended battery connector.

Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I've used both. I prefer the XP8 because I'm waiting for the P25 SLED :) But the LEX is nice because it can pair with an APX portable (at least with the 8000, not sure about which others) and control it from the screen and route the audio to the phone.
I'd say both are rugged (compared to a regular cell phone), but the XP8 is seriously rugged...like smash the heck out of it rugged. But that comes at the cost of size and bulk.

memtech3

I found the sled you were talking about seems kind of limited at 2.5 watts and makes the device a whole lot thicker. It also doesn't have a top display or channel selector or zone toggle switch which I know make life easier

Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am considering a SONIM for my Verizon service when my retro-cool Motorola Razr V3M gets turned off in Dec.

I am a clearly a cheapskate, what would I miss if I go with a Sonim XP7 vs XP8? I would primarily be interested in PTT Roip type applications.

n1das

My wife and I have Sonim XP8 ruggedized smartphones and the XPand 900MHz Direct Mode module. I haven't had much opportunity to use the Direct Mode module yet other than verify that it works. The XP8 is built like a brick expletive-house smash the heck out of it rugged.

We use AT&T EPTT ($5/month/phone) and Zello (free) for PTToC apps. There are things I do and don't like about each app.

A friend of mine is in the market for a top of the line ruggedized purpose built smartphone but doesn't want an XP8. I recommended the Motorola LEX L11 Mission Critical LTE Device. I would be seriously looking at the LEX L11 if I didn't already have the XP8.

Of people who have used both, which has louder audio? The L11 lists 106dBSPL speaker audio (@ 10cm distance) and something like 96dBSPL @ 30cm distance. The XP8 simply lists 100+ dBSPL @ 10cm distance and doesn't give an exact number.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The XP8 is a brick of a phone. We were issued them during SB53.

My only gripes are:

-Android 7.1.1- an aging O/S and the hardware is perfectly capable of more
-AT&T neuters (reads DISABLED) the 2nd SIM slot. Some claim this can be enabled, our First Net rep says it's disabled by AT&T corporate so the nice idea of adding a 2nd SIM on another provider nixed.

Other than that, it's a fairly well built device. The audio is indeed LOUD, make that, BLASTING on PTT applications (have used both AT&T ePTT (Kodiak based) and Zello. Plays nice with Zello.

If I were going to buy one, I would buy one direct from Sonim unlocked, though I have found out that unlocked Androids don't get "full" compatibility if used on AT&T (no VoLTE, WiFi calling, VVM, etc). FWIW WiFi calling was never provisioned on the XP8 on First Net. At least not the ones my agency has, and we have a cache of 20 to use for backup 911 lines should we ever have to bug out.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
What about on Verizon? Still hampered?

KI7YET

Can anyone help me with the questions like:
1. Can I use the LEX L11 with my at&t prepaid plan? What I mean is does the LEX L11 require a specific wireless plan to work?
2. Where can I buy one LEX L11? Online seller? The only one I can find is LEX L11 from a website called NothingButSavings.com. The list price is $887.55. Is it normal?

Thank you in advanced!

Firebuff880

I had a LEX 11 for awhile, came from a dealer I was doing contract work for.. A Motorola Dealer should be able to source them for you., But I am not sure who is still around up your way. Although I know there are a number of them in the Boston area. You might also try CommUSA they are primary a Web service although they were purchased by Bearcom so things may have changed.

Mine just had a regular AT&T SIM in it at the time. Picked it up at the local AT&T corporate store...

Great phone, and not a bad Radio ,, Used Wave on Cloud and SMS messaging at the time.

Good Luck -

RFI-EMI-GUY

I had a LEX 11 for awhile, came from a dealer I was doing contract work for.. A Motorola Dealer should be able to source them for you., But I am not sure who is still around up your way. Although I know there are a number of them in the Boston area. You might also try CommUSA they are primary a Web service although they were purchased by Bearcom so things may have changed.

Mine just had a regular AT&T SIM in it at the time. Picked it up at the local AT&T corporate store...

Great phone, and not a bad Radio ,, Used Wave on Cloud and SMS messaging at the time.

Good Luck -

To be clear, apart from the LTE phone side, it is not actually a "radio".

KI7YET

Good Luck -

Great information! Thank you so much! I'll try find a nearby dealer to buy one.

Firebuff880

Another source might be - Motorola LTE Devices | North Georgia Communications

@RFI-EMI-GUY Yes, the unit is LTE / WiFi not an LMR device, but with Wave On Cloud / Smart Connect it can be bridged to an LMR system and Push To Talk between the devices on LTE seems to work just with the restrictions one might expect on LTE. It's not iDen :) As others have indicated WOC is not the only PToC client that will work.

@RRR I believe you will find that Verizon works with out issues as long as you don't source the hardware from AT&T.

kb0uxv

I have been using a LEX11 on Verizon for several months now. As stated, smaller than a Sonim but still very sturdy. Many drops without issue so far. Plug and play with Verizon SIM, but be sure to enable 4G calling (off by default). A few issues you should know about that I have found:
-With Verizon (not AT&T / firstnet) visual voicemail is not supported. You need to do it old school way (hold the 1 key) and enter your PIN to get voicemails, unless you have the advanced voicemail feature on your line of service you won't even get a notification when you receive a voicemail. Advanded voicemail send a cryptic text, I assigned that source text phone number a unique ring tone so I know when I get VM
-dual SIM works between AT&T and Verizon, but if you switch to AT&T and take a firmware update you are SOL on Verizon (the AT&T firmware does not allow dual SIM or VZW functionality) so you have to go through a very lengthy manual process to downgrade firmware. Say good bye to all your apps and data. For this reason Motorola is not advertising this as a dual carrier phone.
-Motorola suggests future firmware to fix dual carrier and visual voicemail
-Due to noise cancelling mics used in the LEX11 any videos you take with the phone will have some seriously funky audio. For the most part the voices will be intelligible with any other background noise muffled or absent. There are definatley times where you want that background noise
-When using LEX11 as speaker phone the party on the other side will also comment about funky audio, it seems background radio noise makes the problem worse (while using phone in speaker mode while seated in a squad with background mobile radios active)
-Camera pictures seem to be darker than my old Iphone, I am not overly impressed with the LEX11 camera. I acknowledge this may be an Android issue and not the phone itself. HDR camera mode seems to help.
-Motorola is making a 2 wire earpiece kit for the LEX11, a small clip mic and an acoustic tube ear piece. I tried it while BT to the radio to avoid using a speaker mic. The PTT talk permit is very delayed when using the LEX , like 2 seconds from PTT to the tone so be aware of that also the LEX was dropping my talkout audio at times. Pairing to radio is cool, the TG/ZONE features, favorite TG tab, and search are great for fat codeplugs but this feature is NOT mission critical yet. Perhaps this is more reliable with the AT&T LEX11 firmware, I have not tried that side yet.
-LEX11 will not do calling on 3G Verizon, data does not seem to work on 3G either. But I think this is also the case for the newest competitor smart phones
-LEX11 is also running old Android firmware, on Verizon its at 7.1.1 - I have not had any issues getting Apps to work
-The two card SIM tray on the LEX11 is a little tricky to remove without damaging the tray door
-The standard carry holster for the LEX11 uses the Peter Jones Klickfast stud system common in UK policing. The belt dock is large. Do yourself a favor and pick up a Si500 camera holster with coat pocket clip, remove the clip, and connect it to the LEX holster. The bolt pattern on the back of the LEX holster is the same as Si500 and XE mics. The speaker mic clip will bolt on too but I found its not robust enough to hold to the belt.
-The LEX11 worked fine with the old SIM from my Iphone 5S. If you activate the LEX11 on Verizon, and turn on 4G calling in the phone, and still can't make calls contact customer support and verify option SFO 81158 (HD Calling) is active on your line of service.
-The high capp battery is lasting me up to 3 days between charges, but it does add some size to the device. The standard battery needed nightly charging
-My LEX11 randomly fails to charge. Light goes red but the USB status indicates it is "supplying power to attached device" and the bat percent does not increase or does so very slowly. I started a case, it sounds like I may have a bad port on my phone. Motorola reports this is not a wide spread problem.
-Receive audio is sufficiently loud
Side key 1 and 2 can be user defined in settings (long and short press functions), options: camera, answer/end call, ringer/media mute or unmute, no function, OK google, answer call speakerphone, send status message (1-4)

All in all I like the phone, am very happy with the ruggedness and functionality and less so with the camera talkout audio and BT to APX functions.

KI7YET

-dual SIM works between AT&T and Verizon, but if you switch to AT&T and take a firmware update you are SOL on Verizon (the AT&T firmware does not allow dual SIM or VZW functionality) so you have to go through a very lengthy manual process to downgrade firmware. Say good bye to all your apps and data. For this reason Motorola is not advertising this as a dual carrier phone.

Thanks for your great sharing! Good to let me know the dual sim card issue for now although it wouldn't be my problem.

Most of the issues (all pretty minor) with the LEX L11 especially when used with Verizon have been resolved. As previously reported earlier in this post, we are a source for this device.

n9upc

I use the LEX L11 on FirstNet and have no issues with Visual Voicemail but WiFi calling is another story as it does not work. I have not had a full time to investigate it further because I usually just Call Forward the phone anyways.

As of note I used the Sonim XP8 and really seemed to love it but then one day something happened with the ATT network. I woke up one morning and could no longer call forward at all. Long story short the Call Forwarding would not reach the LTE side of FirstNet and it would not work at all. I called FirstNet technical support, swapped SIMS, and even found the remaining XP8 in an ATT store in ALL of the Twin Cities. Still no luck and that is when I found that the L11 will not only work on FirstNet but on ATT, VZW, and to some degree on TMbl. Not to also mention it acts as a spkr/mic for my APX6000 and APX2000 I was sold.

I purchased mine through Magnum Electronics and the software for set-up is also free on MOL (just need an account). Once again only drawback no WiFi Calling. However, the PTT apps I use (Zello, DV Switch, and another PTT one) allows me to use the PTT button on the phone which is a HUGE plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.