• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola LEX L11 Mission Critical LTE Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtarbell

I use the LEX L11 on FirstNet and have no issues with Visual Voicemail but WiFi calling is another story as it does not work. I have not had a full time to investigate it further because I usually just Call Forward the phone anyways.

As of note I used the Sonim XP8 and really seemed to love it but then one day something happened with the ATT network. I woke up one morning and could no longer call forward at all. Long story short the Call Forwarding would not reach the LTE side of FirstNet and it would not work at all. I called FirstNet technical support, swapped SIMS, and even found the remaining XP8 in an ATT store in ALL of the Twin Cities. Still no luck and that is when I found that the L11 will not only work on FirstNet but on ATT, VZW, and to some degree on TMbl. Not to also mention it acts as a spkr/mic for my APX6000 and APX2000 I was sold.

I purchased mine through Magnum Electronics and the software for set-up is also free on MOL (just need an account). Once again only drawback no WiFi Calling. However, the PTT apps I use (Zello, DV Switch, and another PTT one) allows me to use the PTT button on the phone which is a HUGE plus.
What is the name of the setup software? I can't seem to find it in my MOL account

emt86108

I own the LEX 11; I would not tell anyone to buy this phone. It is the worst smart phone I have ever owned! They advertise that is made for apps and for Public Safety but gets bogged down very quickly with just a few apps open. I have to restart it a few times a day. It also has a camera feature button on the outside, if you hit it by accident while on the phone it drops your call. Terrible phone!!!

We have thousands in the field and never an issue with accidental side button presses. I personally use the device and am a power user, and I never get bogged down. I do know that some people wrap their fingers too far around the sides of the phone because it is so slim and they inadvertently cause input on the screen without knowing it and it does make the phone appear to freeze or be laggy. Sorry you had that experience, if you look at the feedback of others, many people have had some good experiences. It doesn't hurt to reboot every now and again as with any Android phone and one does need to be careful to load apps that can cause issues.

n1das

A friend of mine and I are seriously looking at getting a few of these. We have already reached out to Ken about them. If I end up getting an L11 then I also have to get one for the wife too. :)

My wife and I are power users with our Sonim XP8 ruggedized smartphones and they have worked well overall. They are built like a brick expletive house rugged and we haven't worried at all about breaking them. One complaint I have with PTT apps on the XP8 is there is no noise canceling for the mic audio. We use AT&T EPTT and it uses the Kodiak PTT platform. The mic audio is so sensitive that you can hear a pin drop from across the room. I can talk 2 feet away or 2 inches away from the phone and I will be heard fine but ambient noise is also heard just as loud. PTT apps on the XP8 are tough to use in high noise environments. The speaker audio is plenty loud enough like the L11 but the lack of noise cancellation in the mic audio is a problem. When it comes right down to it, I wouldn't mind having some slightly funky mic audio in some cases to have industry leading best in class noise cancellation for PTT apps and phone calls. Our XP8 phones are coming up 2 years old (no contract) and maybe it's time for an "upgrade."
:)

K2NEC

A friend of mine and I are seriously looking at getting a few of these. We have already reached out to Ken about them. If I end up getting an L11 then I also have to get one for the wife too. :)

My wife and I are power users with our Sonim XP8 ruggedized smartphones and they have worked well overall. They are built like a brick expletive house rugged and we haven't worried at all about breaking them. One complaint I have with PTT apps on the XP8 is there is no noise canceling for the mic audio. We use AT&T EPTT and it uses the Kodiak PTT platform. The mic audio is so sensitive that you can hear a pin drop from across the room. I can talk 2 feet away or 2 inches away from the phone and I will be heard fine but ambient noise is also heard just as loud. PTT apps on the XP8 are tough to use in high noise environments. The speaker audio is plenty loud enough like the L11 but the lack of noise cancellation in the mic audio is a problem. When it comes right down to it, I wouldn't mind having some slightly funky mic audio in some cases to have industry leading best in class noise cancellation for PTT apps and phone calls. Our XP8 phones are coming up 2 years old (no contract) and maybe it's time for an "upgrade."
If you do end up going I am very interested in how it goes. I want to get one but have some minor concerns.
1. The noise cancelling mic making videos sound horrible
2. Battery life being so/so (I believe the standard battery was the one that only lasts a day. My current Galaxy S7 is a few years old and I get that kind of battery life. I would expect better out of a new phone)
3. Camera takes blurry pictures

I am also curious about applications. Does it use Google Play?
Considering I take A LOT of pictures and videos with my phone, quality of the pictures and videos may be a deal breaker for me.

The LEX L11 is designed for the Kodiak PTT and ATT EPTT platforms. The LEX L11 is less than 1/2" uniform thickness.

Attachments

• lex-l11-overview-brochure.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • lex-l11-datasheet.pdf
    589.5 KB · Views: 11
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Access.pdf
    891.4 KB · Views: 9
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Noise.pdf
    917.6 KB · Views: 5
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Drop.pdf
    788.8 KB · Views: 6
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Pairing.pdf
    823.4 KB · Views: 4
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Battery.pdf
    933 KB · Views: 6
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Security.pdf
    840.9 KB · Views: 4
  • LEX L11 Consumer Device Comparison Apps.pdf
    873.7 KB · Views: 13
If you do end up going I am very interested in how it goes. I want to get one but have some minor concerns.
1. The noise cancelling mic making videos sound horrible
2. Battery life being so/so (I believe the standard battery was the one that only lasts a day. My current Galaxy S7 is a few years old and I get that kind of battery life. I would expect better out of a new phone)
3. Camera takes blurry pictures

I am also curious about applications. Does it use Google Play?
Considering I take A LOT of pictures and videos with my phone, quality of the pictures and videos may be a deal breaker for me.
Never heard a complaint on the audio for videos.
There is a 5100mah battery option that will last 2 days or more (batteries are hot swapable)
Camera is excellent, I use it to take all my detailed product photos.

n1das

I'm still researching the L11.

Re: Noise canceling mic makes videos sound horrible: Don't care. Mic audio for PTT apps and phone calls in high noise environments are higher priority than videos. I specifically want the noise canceling in the mic audio for PTT apps and phone calls.

Re: Battery life: I will go with the optional high capacity battery available to have the longest operating time. I learned that lesson with my amateur and commercial radios long ago. And past cell phones too. I always go for the highest capacity battery available right from the outset.

Re: Camera blurry pics: The XP8 does it too so I'm not really that worried about it. Not high priority.

n1das

The LEX L11 is designed for the Kodiak PTT and ATT EPTT platforms. The LEX L11 is less than 1/2" uniform thickness.

Hi Ken,

Wow, that was quick! LOL. You replied while I was writing my last reply above. We chatted briefly via Linkedin earlier. Great info, thanks! Now it's just a question of when do I pull the trigger on a pair of them. I need to first make sure my job is still stable given all of the COVID-19 related layoffs before pulling the trigger.

Stay safe!

K2NEC

Never heard a complaint on the audio for videos.
There is a 5100mah battery option that will last 2 days or more (batteries are hot swapable)
Camera is excellent, I use it to take all my detailed product photos.
Thanks for the reply Ken!

W2PDX

Very interesting thread. Can you disable the noise cancellation feature through the L11's audio settings? Also what is the street price on this device? I have been debating an L11 or an XP8.

ME801

Very interesting thread. Also what is the street price on this device? I have been debating an L11 or an XP8.
About 9 months ago, I paid $1000 for phone, extra battery, carry holster and 3 holster attachments/accessories. Its not my daily use wireless device ( I use a S8 Active). I use it as a WRSM and a handful of mapping apps for large wildland fire assignments.

W2PDX

About 9 months ago, I paid $1000 for phone, extra battery, carry holster and 3 holster attachments/accessories. Its not my daily use wireless device ( I use a S8 Active). I use it as a WRSM and a handful of mapping apps for large wildland fire assignments.
That's actually not a bad price and pretty comparable to the XP8 once you factor in the cost of a drop in charger, spare battery, etc. I like the idea of the PTT functionality of both devices but I'm not sure I would want one as my daily device and will not carry around two devices.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I would love a drop-in charger for my XP8, but the price of them are inflated ridiculously

K2NEC

While I am willing to spend a little extra on a new phone, I ideally don't want to spend more than the $600 neighborhood for a basic phone. No additional accessories, no extended battery, etc.

I would rather have the LEX L11 over the XP8 ONLY because I can bluetooth it to my APX.

Status
Not open for further replies.