• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola R765

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I wanted to give an update to anybody here that likes using good quality two way radios at a reasonable price. Just to give a little bit of history on me. I an a licensed amateur radio operator, amateur extra class, have a General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL) and a General Mobile Radio License (GMRS). I have been using two way devices all of my adult life. I had a pair of Motorola DTR550s in the past and they were great devices. I was also a Nextel end user years ago and was happy when they added off-network simplex, which they referred to as Direct Talk. It has also been known by other names from various providers.

I sold my Motorola DTR550s earlier this year because I didn't use them all that much. They cost me very little to use because I bought them used and sold them for nearly as much as I bought them for. One of my disappointments was that although they use the same technology as the legacy Nextel devices, they could not communicate with them. I still have a few Nextels around in my basement. One of my other disappointments with the DTR550s is that they don't/didn't have Bluetooth.

More recently we have had the DLR series devices. There are both the DLR1020 and DLR1060. Neither one has Bluetooth. Each are available new for a bit of $200.00 They are a great choice for simplex communications.

There is also the newer DTR600 and DTR700. They are both in the $300 range and are more feature rich than the DLR series radios. They, too, are a great choice for legal, license free simplex communications.

I decided to go a slightly different route. When I was still a Nextel end user, I recall that Motorola had released two, rugged iDen devices. They are the R765 and the R765IS. At the time they were released, I wanted one, but was unwilling to pay the new price on them.

Fast forward to now, and somewhere I read that R765s were showing up on Ebay and other places at a pretty reasonable price. Some of them are a result of Southern Linc disbanding their iDen network. I found some on Ebay that were the 1 watt version (not the lower powered IS version) and bought three of them for $180. I figured $60 per radios wasn't too bad for a device that will probably work better than the typical bubblee pack FRS/GMRS radios.

When they arrived, they came with drop in chargers and holsters with a rotating belt clip. I found out pretty quickly that the batteries on two of the three units needed to be replaced. This is sort of the "gotcha" of these devices. Both the PMNN4087A PMNN4086A are over $100 at many dealers. I was lucky to find some new ones for $78.71 from Radio Parts. Motorola PMNN4087A Li-Ion Battery - OEM Batteries - Batteries - Accessories - Two-Way Radio Equipment - Radioparts.

The other accessory that I was considering was the remote speaker microphone. The RMN5115A is the genuine Armadillo Remote Speaker Microphone meant for the R765. With an MSRP of $150, I was reluctant to buy these. However, someone on another forum mentioned that the Waris series portable accessories work, too. They have the same side connector. They don't have an emergency button or remote volume control, but hat wasn't a concern of mine in this case.

After doing some more research, I found that there are several different remote speaker microphones that work with the various Waris radios. I just had to narrow down which might work best for my purposes. I decided that the Motorola PMMN4027A IP57 Submersible Remote Speaker Microphone would be a suitable choice because my wife and I like top go ATVing. The R765 radios themselves are MilSpec 810F for dust, shock, vibration, high and low temperature, pressure, humidity, salt fog, blowing rain, and solar radiation. It just seemed reasonable to get remote speaker microphones that stand up to water, too.

Anyway, my cost for three of these was $180, plus almost $240 for brand new batteries. I now have three speaker microphones that were a bit over $10 each. That puts each one of these at about $150 each. Yes, more expensive than bubble pack radios, but these should last longer and work much better. I still haven't bought a Bluetooth remote speaker microphone for these yet, but I will post an update when I do. I should also add that these will work with the legacy Nextel devices on Direct Talk. I have tried it and they work great.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Outstanding. I have been keeping my eye on these. Any other notable issues or gotcha's?

JASII

Memory Capacity
I suppose the most notable thing for many people is it takes a bit to power these up. You hold down the power button and it tries to connect to a network that no longer exists. Then, you can switch to Linc Around.

Unlike the earlier DTRs that had an optional keyboard available and the ability to send simplex text messages, I don't know of any way to do that with the R765s. That is no longer a choice with the newest DTR radios either.

Another thing I might look into is the ability to use a smartphone as a Bluetooth remote speaker phone for the R765s. I have heard that there are apps in the Google Play Store. I just haven't tried any of them yet.

n1das

I wanted an R765 back in the day. I looked into getting one but they were unavailable at the time. This was when Sprint NEXTEL was shutting down the NEXTEL iDEN network. BOOST Mobile wouldn't sign me up on their iDEN network for the same reason. Oh well.

The new Motorola DTR600/700 models got a firmware update in August and another update was released on 31OCT2019. A PMAF4025 stubby antenna is now available for them. The new stubby antenna works well and looks cool on the radio.

JASII said:
Unlike the earlier DTRs that had an optional keyboard available and the ability to send simplex text messages, I don't know of any way to do that with the R765s. That is no longer a choice with the newest DTR radios either.

I remember the keyboard accessory for the DTRs. It was also an accessory for the i355 phone and a few others. The keyboard accessory went EOL several years ago and is NLA. It's now so much easier to use the CPS with the DTRs.

The DTR600/700 firmware update in August added scan capability and fixed a couple of bugs. The October update added Text Messaging just like the legacy DTRs, added OTA contact cloning, and added Manager Mode features. These are the Phase 2 features that were hinted at before the DTR600/700 models were released a year ago. I don't have any use for the programmed text messages so I don't care if they have it or not. I have played with the Manager Mode features and can confirm that they work as advertised and work with the legacy DTRs and vice versa. The latest CPS (R07.02) also added some features to make programming easier for integrating them into a fleet of legacy DTRs. After applying the two firmware updates, the DTR600/700 models can do everything the legacy DTRs could do and then some.

The DTR600/700 models have the best audio thanks to AGC added to the transmit audio. The legacy DTRs and the DLR radios don't have AGC in the transmit audio. You can talk an inch or two away from the mic on a DTR600/700 or climb right up on it and practically eat the radio and the audio sounds about the same. The mic audio also seems to do well in high ambient noise environments. OTOH, if you climb up on the mic or talk loudly with a legacy DTR or a DLR radio, receiving DTRs and DLRs sound like they want to pop out of their enclosure. The DTR600/700 audio sounds the best thanks to AGC added to the transmit audio, the DLRs sound the worst due to transmitting severely distorted audio, and the legacy DTRs fall somewhere in between.

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I have some i355 here and would love to try the r765. My 355s are getting older and one had the PTT dry rot and crack and fall off. I also wish I could find more extended antennas for them. I never found a speaker mic for them but they would probably be inconvenient given the bottom attachment and the ease of becoming disconnected. The Waris series at least have the thumbscrew. I have a brand new sealed copy of iDEN RSS (Super Agent Model) version R01.16.05 I haven't tried yet to see if it is useful in any way.

n1das

These kind of issues with the i355 and other DT-capable NEXTEL phones as they age and run into EOL issues are why I ultimately chose to go with some DTR650s and later with a fleet of DTR700 radios. I had a fleet of DLRs for a while too. From owning DLRs, legacy DTRs (DTR650), and DTR700s, I've learned a LOT about them and had them all working together on public and private groups.

The DTRs (and DLRs) are a spinoff from the off-network Direct Talk feature in the r765 and i355 and other DT-capable iDEN handsets. The Direct Talk feature was generically known as MOTO Talk.

The DTRs and DLRs are based on the MOTO Talk platform but are coded differently (supposedly on purpose) from the phones. The DT feature needed to be kept as simple as possible for phone users. I suspect the DT feature in the phones became incompatible with the DTRs as an evolutionary step when features were added to the DTRs. The legacy DTRs supposedly shared a common design with a particular iDEN handset model and were one and the same for a while during development until they split apart to become an iDEN handset and 3 DTR models (410/550/650).

The legacy DTRs (410/550/650) were recently discontinued but the DLRs and DTR600/700 models show that Motorola appears to be committed to keeping these products on the market. The legacy DTRs were long overdue for a refresh and I suspect Motorola was running into issues with parts going EOL from their suppliers. Motorola probably made their last time buy of parts for the legacy DTRs while the DTR600/700 models were in development. I am glad Motorola is keeping the DTR product line going with the DTR600/700 models and added the DLR series.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
...My 355s are getting older and one had the PTT dry rot and crack and fall off....I never found a speaker mic for them but they would probably be inconvenient given the bottom attachment and the ease of becoming disconnected. The Waris series at least have the thumbscrew.

I have/had a couple of i315s, a couple of i670s and an i580. Just this fall, I had the piece covering the PTT fall off those.

...The DTR600/700 firmware update in August added scan capability and fixed a couple of bugs. The October update added Text Messaging just like the legacy DTRs, added OTA contact cloning, and added Manager Mode features...

That is good to know. Most of the time, I won't care either. However, there are occasionally times in which it would be nice to alert someone, non-verbally, that you are trying to reach them. They could acknowledge and advise they will respond when they are able. I assume that the DTR600/700s use pre selected messages, then? If/when they add features to these or other, newer units, I think it would be slick to use Bluetooth to connect to as smartphone and use that as a keyboard. I would also love to see Motorola add Bluetooth.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

n1das

That is good to know. Most of the time, I won't care either. However, there are occasionally times in which it would be nice to alert someone, non-verbally, that you are trying to reach them. They could acknowledge and advise they will respond when they are able. I assume that the DTR600/700s use pre selected messages, then? If/when they add features to these or other, newer units, I think it would be slick to use Bluetooth to connect to as smartphone and use that as a keyboard. I would also love to see Motorola add Bluetooth.

The DTR600/700 uses pre-programmed messages, identical to the legacy DTRs (410/550/650). I would love to see Motorola add BT to the DTR600/700 or as a future top of the line DTR model for connectivity to headsets and other devices.

The DTR600/700 firmware updates are available now as a free download on Motorola's site. The Business Radio CPS was also updated to program the new features available in the firmware. The latest version of the CPS is R07.02.

I have successfully upgraded the firmware (twice) in my DTR700 fleet. The same CPS cable used to program the DTR600/700 and other Motorola business radios is used for firmware updates. The firmware upgrades are plug and play and takes about 5 minutes per radio.

Who knows, maybe I will get my hands on an R765 someday to play with.

Last edited:

n1das

There is also the newer DTR600 and DTR700. They are both in the $300 range and are more feature rich than the DLR series radios. They, too, are a great choice for legal, license free simplex communications.

I decided to go a slightly different route. When I was still a Nextel end user, I recall that Motorola had released two, rugged iDen devices. They are the R765 and the R765IS. At the time they were released, I wanted one, but was unwilling to pay the new price on them.

Fast forward to now, and somewhere I read that R765s were showing up on Ebay and other places at a pretty reasonable price. Some of them are a result of Southern Linc disbanding their iDen network. I found some on Ebay that were the 1 watt version (not the lower powered IS version) and bought three of them for $180. I figured $60 per radios wasn't too bad for a device that will probably work better than the typical bubblee pack FRS/GMRS radios.

The off-network Direct Talk feature (generically MOTO Talk) in the r765 and i355 phones should perform identical to the DTRs and DLRs. Small differences in performance may be due to the different antennas used. Anybody who has used the DTRs or DLRs will know what to expect in performance from an r765 or i355 operating in DT mode.

The DTRs and DLRs are based on the same MOTO Talk platform. The DTRs and DLRs use the exact same FHSS system but were coded differently from the DT feature in iDEN handsets. I suspect the incompatibility arose when more features were added to the DTRs when the DTR410/550/650 radios were designed.

The DT feature in the i355 was certified at 890mW (+29.5dBm). I don't know what the r765 was certified at for the DT feature. The DTR410/550/650 models were certified at 890mW (+29.5dBm) and the legal limit per FCC 15.247 is 1W (+30.0dBm). The DLRs were certified at 880mW (+29.4dBm). The DTR600/700 were certified at 830mW (+29.2dBm). The few tenths of a dB under the legal limit is to account for measurement uncertainty and small variations from unit to unit to stay just under the legal limit. The exact numbers they were certified at is what the test lab measured from the sample submitted for certification testing.

One heads up to be aware of is a DT capable phone needs to have a SIM card installed that was previously activated on an iDEN network (NEXTEL, Southern LINC, etc.). The DT feature like the DTRs and DLRs use an ID based system and each device needs to have an 11-digit Private ID in order to work. DT capable iDEN phones derive this from 1 plus the area code and phone number that was assigned when the phone was activated. The DTRs and DLRs have an 11-digit Private ID assigned to the radio from the factory and is not changeable by the end user or with the CPS. Anybody looking for deals on DT capable iDEN phones should be aware that a SIM card is needed that was previously activated on an iDEN network. So check to be sure your DT capable iDEN phone comes with a SIM card.

JASII

Memory Capacity
The other thing that I would love to see is adding Network Radio to something like this. For example, have a Network Radio with built in UHF and use the GMRS for local simplex and the Network Radio for stuff farther away. Or, VHF with MURS. Or even a newer DTR700 with a SIM card slot for AT&T or T-Mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.