• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola RSSI to dBm Converter

T04KLH9PW7AN

Moto MR Engineer
Hello All,
I got tired of having to drag a spectrum analyzer around to walk buildings for signal strength so we made a converter that displays Motorola displayed RSSI to dBM. Enjoy all. Hope this helps.

Link updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
In my experience and testing...there is enough variance between models (XTS/APX) and bands that RSSI to RSSL is great enough that results can differ by 10 dB when actually tested.

In my professional experience...not stable enough for BDA work and verifying NFPA requirements.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
In my experience and testing...there is enough variance between models (XTS/APX) and bands that RSSI to RSSL is great enough that results can differ by 10 dB when actually tested.

In my professional experience...not stable enough for BDA work and verifying NFPA requirements.

APX vs XTS is definitely different. APX vs APX is usually pretty close, but they have to have the exact same antenna and tested in the exact same spot. But still 3 dB +/- variance.

My issue with a lot of these companies testing is it doesn’t take the uplink into account at all. “We have -85 dBm downlink, we’re done, pack up and leave”.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
RSSI display in dBm is supposedly in the pipeline for the APX series for early 2023...we'll see if it happens and what it looks like if it does.

nikronzo

RSSI display in dBm is supposedly in the pipeline for the APX series for early 2023...we'll see if it happens and what it looks like if it does.
another "following suit" after L3, the Harris radios have been doing RSSI as dBm since the Unity series and is a lot easier to read, just my personal preference.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
another "following suit" after L3, the Harris radios have been doing RSSI as dBm since the Unity series and is a lot easier to read, just my personal preference.
Sure, until you get some genius who doesn't quite understand that -70 is better than -90 because they didn't pay attention in 3rd grade math. 🤦‍♂️

nikronzo

Sure, until you get some genius who doesn't quite understand that -70 is better than -90 because they didn't pay attention in 3rd grade math. 🤦‍♂️
same idiot that is always posting here about having bars on their radio while tryna listen to a TRS...

wsp44

Hello All,
I got tired of having to drag a spectrum analyzer around to walk buildings for signal strength so we made a converter that displays Motorola displayed RSSI to dBM. Enjoy all. Hope this helps.

Link updated.
digging up this thread, but thank you for this.

Project25_MASTR

It did make it in at some point. Upgraded an APX7000 from R21.xx.xx to R29.00.00 a few weeks ago and bam...RSSI and RSSL are now displayed.

Project25_MASTR

My Motorola's are the guinea pigs...when they lock up off to Depot they go and the Viking radios get some use.

This is what happens when you are the system admin and make sure you have multiple radios from multiple vendors on your Astro 25 system.