• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorola sp50

Not open for further replies.


Jul 19, 2014
I just purchased 6 Motorola SP 50s 2 way radios from a school system by on line auction. The person there told me on the phone yesterday they used a tower to contact school workers. I was looking for walkie - talkies and did not releize there was a difference. Can these be used for walkie talkies?


I ♥ Ø
Jul 27, 2005
LATA 722
By walkie-talkies, are you referring to simple radio to radio communications?

That would be referred to as simplex.

Yes, they can, but they'll need to be programmed. Where you program them to has a number of legal "gotchas" that you may (or may not) care about. Just about anywhere you can use those radios requires a license of some sort, and this will depend exactly on what country you live in. Programming them up for any old frequency you choose is not a good idea. Variables will be exactly what model radio they are (VHF or UHF?), where you live, and how much work/money you are willing to put into getting properly licensed to use these.


Apr 22, 2012
Puget Sound
Also, you have to remember that here in the USA, the Sp50 is no longer legal to use on any frequency that is NOT ham, GMRS, or marine.

They are also a B@#$%^& to program and need a DOS based program and programer.
Not open for further replies.