• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Speaker Mic Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I have three OEM speaker mics - two are model NMN6193B and one is NMN6193C. I have connected each of them alternately to an XTS3000, an XTS5000 and an EFJ5100.

All of the HT's work normally without the speaker mics attached. With the speaker mics attached, TX audio on all radios is OK, but two of the three speaker mics have tinny and distorted audio on receive on all of the above HT's.

AFAIK, these are the correct accessories for each of these HT's and, except for cord issues, I've always thought of these items as nearly bullet-proof. Is there some issue that I am not aware of or might it simply be that the poor-sounding speakers are just defective? Any suggestions are welcomed.

John

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
Where did you get the mics? If the audio doesn't sound right it's probably an issue in the wiring. That mic and both revisions should work fine on those radios. IIRC the C revision just added noise cancellation or additional voice isolation. Did u try unplugging the wire from the good speaker mic and using it with one that you're have issues with? If you pull the rubber boot back you should be able to unplug the wire and swap it to another mic head. It could also be water damage to the speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I have three OEM speaker mics - two are model NMN6193B and one is NMN6193C. I have connected each of them alternately to an XTS3000, an XTS5000 and an EFJ5100.

All of the HT's work normally without the speaker mics attached. With the speaker mics attached, TX audio on all radios is OK, but two of the three speaker mics have tinny and distorted audio on receive on all of the above HT's.

AFAIK, these are the correct accessories for each of these HT's and, except for cord issues, I've always thought of these items as nearly bullet-proof. Is there some issue that I am not aware of or might it simply be that the poor-sounding speakers are just defective? Any suggestions are welcomed.

John

Speaker mics are a compromise when it comes to RX audio especially on an XTS3000 which have great audio from the radio's speaker. The commander series mics have better audio than the two you mentioned above but still no match compared to the radios built in speaker.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I don't know the history of these speaker mics, the water damage possibility is real.

As I mentioned in the OP, one of the three speaker mics has great audio on all three of the HT's. The audio on the other two speaker mics is tinny and distorted... to the point where it's difficult to understand.

I did switch cables on one of the bad units and there was no change.

John

Tech792

Most likely the speakers themselves. They go bad all the time. I've replaced many over the years.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if this was a common problem. Thanks.

I see lots of speaker mic heads (without cords) for sale on that auction site, usually in multiple item lots. I wonder what the likelihood might be that all (or at least most) of them are not defective?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.