• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTL2500 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4p

I have a Motorola XTL2500 I am trying to program with a OEM Motorola USB cable. I went out to program the radio and the radio displays "WRONG CH" I tried to go ahead and program the radio and it quickly flashes "PROGRAM" on the screen and then fades. The ASTRO 25 Mobile CPS then gives me the same error as if I had forgotten to plug in the radio to the computer. The error reads Open Radio Failed Error Conext: 24, Status: c0000344. Has anyone had this trouble with a radio before? The radio is for a Dive boat and I was told that it was installed new but I don't believe that is correct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

wj4p

Wrong Control head

Here I was thinking it kept saying wrong Channel. I will have to investigate that further. The captain that is in charge of the boat is out of the office so I will probably have to work on it tomorrow. I appreciate the assistance. Hopefully I can get it solved fairly quickly.

Thanks,

wj4p

Wrong Control head

And It is a remote mounted radio. even though they are separated by all of 8 inches. I just went out and looked and the body of the radio looks much older than the remote mounted head. This might just be my problem. Thanks again.

kb0uxv

I get that WRONG CH thing, or a blank display, if I accidently put a dual head codeplug into a one head radio, or vice versa.

In CPS check radio wide, control head tab, and veify the "expected num of control heads" matches your install.

EDIT - strike that, I think for the above issue I usually see "EXTRA CH" , so fineshot1 is likely correct.

Last edited:

RKG

"O" series control heads require a CH ID; each CH has to have a unique ID and they have to be in order starting at the lowest value (i.e., no gaps). There is a paper on MOL explaining how to set the CH ID (using button pushes on the control head itself, if I recall correctly).

fineshot1

And It is a remote mounted radio. even though they are separated by all of 8 inches. I just went out and looked and the body of the radio looks much older than the remote mounted head. This might just be my problem. Thanks again.

It is also possible the radio was delivered as a two control head configuration
and only one was installed. When two control heads are delivered they each
have a control head number programed into them. If that was the case try
swapping with the other head or add that head back into the config.

viet5d

I have a Motorola XTL2500 I am trying to program with a OEM Motorola USB cable. I went out to program the radio and the radio displays "WRONG CH" I tried to go ahead and program the radio and it quickly flashes "PROGRAM" on the screen and then fades. The ASTRO 25 Mobile CPS then gives me the same error as if I had forgotten to plug in the radio to the computer. The error reads Open Radio Failed Error Conext: 24, Status: c0000344. Has anyone had this trouble with a radio before? The radio is for a Dive boat and I was told that it was installed new but I don't believe that is correct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Hi, can you tell me how to display "program" on LCD to program, using with button ?

viet5d

XTL2500 program mode setting

Can you please restate your question? I do not understand in the way you asked.

sorry. I would like to program (read/write data) the radio motorola XTL2500 with CPS software but I don't know how to set the radio in program mode. Thanks

fineshot1

sorry. I would like to program (read/write data) the radio motorola XTL2500 with CPS software but I don't know how to set the radio in program mode. Thanks

You simply start up the Motorola CPS software and read the radio and make the changes
to the displayed data on the computer screen and write it back to the radio. There is no
initiating program mode via the radio itself.

viet5d

Thanks for reply.
I have tried to read the data from my radio with ASTRO25 mobile CPS (R.12) but I got the error message (can't not connect to device, kind of that, even I set the COM port correct). I think we should set the radio at Program mode before read the data from radio.

I use this USB cable programming (Motorola Xtl Xtl Electronics Cellular Accessories - Shopping.com). Do you think I need the driver for this cable ?

Thanks

TheManBornWithin

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to read the data from my radio with ASTRO25 mobile CPS (R.12) but I got the error message (can't not connect to device, kind of that, even I set the COM port correct). I think we should set the radio at Program mode before read the data from radio.

You don't have to set it into programming mode to program it. If it is connected to the computer properly, when you click Read the radio will beep, switch from normal mode to programming mode, and show Program on the display.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Viet5d, please do not hijack other threads with your question. I've deleted your post from the other thread since you've already asked the same question here.

esfd283

XTL2500

Is this radio on a bench or installed in the boat? I had a similar issue where program would display and then fade away. My issue was that the radio was programmed with Ignition Switch setting and i was trying to program the radio on the bench and was not able to replicate the ignition being there in the setting I had. Not sure if this is even close to the problem but might be somewhere to start. Radio Wide, Advanced.

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for reply.

I use this USB cable programming (Motorola Xtl Xtl Electronics Cellular Accessories - Shopping.com). Do you think I need the driver for this cable ?

Thanks

Is this a new radio? Or was it existing? Your CPS version is way old. We're up to 18.00.01 now. Probably why you can't connect to the radio if its new or newer. You can't read/write a newer radio with an old version of CPS.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Is this a new radio? Or was it existing? Your CPS version is way old. We're up to 18.00.01 now. Probably why you can't connect to the radio if its new or newer. You can't read/write a newer radio with an old version of CPS.

You need to update your CPS as well. :)
The latest and greatest Astro25 Mobile CPS is 19.01.00. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If he's using old CPS on a radio that's been touched with newer CPS, he would get a "Codeplug too new" error or something similar.

He's got a communication problem and its probably something to do with the cheapy Chinese cable he's using.

Status
Not open for further replies.