• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 Motorola XTS5000 as a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

amasiero

Premium Subscriber
I am inquiring into if I can use a XTS5000 as a scanner. My local FD is moving to the P25 system so I was wondering if it was possible to use one as a scanner. Thanks

clbsquared

Can you? Yes. Should you? No. Unless of course you have permission from the system administrator, they do the programming and everything is above board. Otherwise, using a personally owned radio and programing it for a back door method of receiving P25 comms is just a bad idea. Buy a scanner or a Unication pager.

ts442k9

Premium Subscriber
XTS/XTL radios are absolute trash as a scanner for a couple of reasons. First, you can only scan 10 TG's (in NAS). Secondly, in order for you to program it for NAS, you need a system key. You can get these one of two ways. The first way, you are authorized to be on the system and you have a legit key. The second way, you pirate a key that is not 100% legal. You also run the risk of accidentally affiliating with the system. I can tell you that if you accidentally affiliate on our system, we will brick your radio.
I should also add that XTL/XTS only do Phase 1. If your system is Phase 2 it won't work either.
From looking at the Tulsa area, there are two systems. OAKWIN is a phase 1 system. and Broken Arrow Comms, phase 2. My guess is that you are going to a phase 2 system. When we went to a trunking system we went from XTS/XTL to APX. However, ours was a Phase 1 system and the old radios could be programmed to the new system.

Bottom line, stick with a scanner.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
XTS/XTL radios are absolute trash as a scanner for a couple of reasons. First, you can only scan 10 TG's (in NAS). Secondly, in order for you to program it for NAS, you need a system key. You can get these one of two ways. The first way, you are authorized to be on the system and you have a legit key. The second way, you pirate a key that is not 100% legal. You also run the risk of accidentally affiliating with the system. I can tell you that if you accidentally affiliate on our system, we will brick your radio.
I should also add that XTL/XTS only do Phase 1. If your system is Phase 2 it won't work either.
From looking at the Tulsa area, there are two systems. OAKWIN is a phase 1 system. and Broken Arrow Comms, phase 2. My guess is that you are going to a phase 2 system. When we went to a trunking system we went from XTS/XTL to APX. However, ours was a Phase 1 system and the old radios could be programmed to the new system.

Bottom line, stick with a scanner.

I wouldn't go so far as to say an XTS/XTL are absolute trash to scan a trunked system with, they're a very good device to use on a compatible system if you know what you're doing.

You can hex edit to scan 15 talk groups pretty easily, don't see a need for much more than that personally. Blame Motorola for the ease of obtaining system keys, that's on them. They let that cat out of the bag and never did anything about it. A momentary affiliation will not brick a radio. Even if "you" bricked a radio it can be fixed quite quickly with the right tools and know how.

A lot of research on non-affiliate scanning must be done in order to get it right. If one puts in the time and spends the money they can have their cake and eat too.

I do agree for newbies that want to monitor a trunked quickly, you're better off with a scanner. Heck, I'm even back to using scanners now days for most all public safety monitoring with the exception of one smartzone system left around here. Its just easier and once you get the crappy scanner audio fixed up your scanner can have just as good audio if not better audio than a commercial grade radio.

N4KVE

XTS/XTL radios are absolute trash as a scanner for a couple of reasons.
My XTS2500 works perfectly on the local Phase 1 system using NAS. It was properly set up, & has yet to affiliate. But programming shouldn’t be attempted unless you know what you’re doing. I had someone with lots of experience program my radio. My choice was easy. Use a radio I already owned, or buy an expensive scanner.

K2NEC

This question has been asked MANY times and at this point it gets annoying having to have to repeat the same answers to everyone that asks. Just search the threads and you can find all the previous posts about people asking the same thing. All those threads have 1 thing in common... (they are locked). As you can see, people beat the dead horse. Is it possible? Yes. Should you do it? Definitely not. Simple solution, buy a scanner.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
First and foremost these radios were built to be active on the system, not as scanners. This means you will end up spending time building the codeplug configuring it NOT to do what it was built to do, and if your unfamiliar with codeplug programming your already in over your head. Its specifically stated NAS is for users who already know what their doing with codeplug programming. This is why you will find posts that read- if you have to ask, your not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.