Mounting antenna to Old DirecTV Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

So in the rental im at right now I have an old Directv pole mounted to the roof. The dish isnt there. Just the pole. Is it possible to mount my antenna to this? If so, what type of mount bracket would I need?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What antenna are you mounting? Check your antenna specs to see what size mast the mount is designed for.

DirecTV uses two different J-pole dish mounts: the one for the round dishes is 1.5 or 1.75" in diameter, the one for the rectangular HD dishes is 2".

I'm going to assume that your antenna is designed for at least a 2" mast. It probably comes with clamps or U-bolts that will clear that diameter. That should work pretty well with the DirecTV J-pole.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
With a antenna of any size, you will find that the J pole mount will not work because it's foot print is too small.

Your best bet is to buy a antenna mount kit and put the antenna on the side of the house.

Since you did not say what kind of antenna you wanted to mount, and you are there and I am here, it is hard for me to suggest what you need.

prcguy

If the J pole is securely mounted with at least 4 screws into solid wood it will hold up any scanner antenna I know of. I've seen these mounts used with very large 12ft long TV antennas with no problems. If you have the 2" J pole from a newer Slimline dish you'll probably break the screws off before the mount bends.
prcguy

With a antenna of any size, you will find that the J pole mount will not work because it's foot print is too small.

Your best bet is to buy a antenna mount kit and put the antenna on the side of the house.

Since you did not say what kind of antenna you wanted to mount, and you are there and I am here, it is hard for me to suggest what you need.

Rick_Harvey

Yes I would go to the auto parts store and get the 2" muffler clamps (2 of them) and then get a piece of metal plate bent into an angle, ( heavy enough to not bend with the antenna and wind) , and drill the antenna mount into it

code3cowboy

If you feel the mount is sturdy enough, you can get a clamp set and attach your antenna. Takes all of 3 minutes.

what do you have for an antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.