SDS100/SDS200: Moving a system from full database to favorites.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I've tried searching, I promise. If I load up the full DB in the scanner, I can't figure out how to move just one system into a favorites list.

Any help? Please LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As far as I'm aware, you can't copy a system to a favorites list from the database on the keyboard. You have to use sentinel or other software. I could be wrong on this but I don't think so.

You can however copy a single object from the database scan. Hold on the object, press E and follow the prompts to pick your pre-existing favorites list where you want the object to end up.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I ended up using my laptop. I find the full DB hard to use because it loads EVERYTHING for your location. I just want to pick from the full DB on the scanner which system I want.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hit Menu
Manage Favorites
New Favorite list
Add Current DB channels

And follow prompts from there.

IMHO - kinda useless
Doesn't that put the entire database on a favorite list? I made the mistake of doing that one time, boy, did that mess me up🤣.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't that put the entire database on a favorite list? I made the mistake of doing that one time, boy, did that mess me up🤣.
No , if you had it limited to say 1 mile it would put that data. Not the entire DB.
You can use on a favorite list also.
Personally, I see little use for it, but it is there.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Another programming question I have. If I want to set up a system say for example, Indiana's statewide net. What's the strategy you guys use for assigning sites to quick keys? I notice if I create one big system for the whole network, if I assign quick keys to sites, I don't have any "department" quick keys available. Should I assign the departments that use those sites the same quick key? Am I missing something? Does this make any sense? LOL

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No , if you had it limited to say 1 mile it would put that data. Not the entire DB.
You can use on a favorite list also.
Personally, I see little use for it, but it is there.
Yes when I used that the one time I did it, I believe I might have had it on 50 miles.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
No, that takes what systems, sites & service types you are currently scanning and creates a favorite list.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No, that takes what systems, sites & service types you are currently scanning and creates a favorite list.
I think I understand, systems, sites and service types I am currently scanning where? On the database scan? So if my range is 50 MI, whatever is on the database in that range would go to one favorites list, that's what I did one time and just had to delete it all.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Another programming question I have. If I want to set up a system say for example, Indiana's statewide net. What's the strategy you guys use for assigning sites to quick keys? I notice if I create one big system for the whole network, if I assign quick keys to sites, I don't have any "department" quick keys available. Should I assign the departments that use those sites the same quick key? Am I missing something? Does this make any sense? LOL
My programming is State.County.Department (F.S.D). I use FL=0 for national channels. Someplace as large as Los Angeles is treated like another state. I do it this way because you can use the menu selection (start with button on left side of radio) and see alpha descriptions to toggle on.off.

I've been able to manage statewide systems this way. What I end up with is the State in the FL (50 states and we've got 100 keys). I'll have one system for conventional channels in each county and one for each trunked system I want to monitor in that county. They could get assigned the same quick key, but then you don't have ideal separate control over each. For example I have Multnomah county as one QK and P25 Portland as another. This way each shows up in the menu.

When it comes to statewide nets, it seems every state has one these days; I'll actually duplicate ALL of the TGs into each county. It's easier to maintain. BUT, I only associate SITES for the county of the QK. I start my Departments with QK 0 and rarely use many. I start my Sites with QK 99 and work backwards. I have the western United States organized in this manner, which where I drive. Works great for me.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I think I understand, systems, sites and service types I am currently scanning where? On the database scan? So if my range is 50 MI, whatever is on the database in that range would go to one favorites list, that's what I did one time and just had to delete it all
Just a quick example.. If you decided 50 was too much and you wanted to lower it to 10, and add or delete some service types.

You load your 50 Mile FL, and while scanning that huge list you went changed the range to 5 miles... You could then save the current dB as a new favorites list and that new list would be smaller than the old list.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just a quick example.. If you decided 50 was too much and you wanted to lower it to 10, and add or delete some service types.

You load your 50 Mile FL, and while scanning that huge list you went changed the range to 5 miles... You could then save the current dB as a new favorites list and that new list would be smaller than the old list.
Yep I understand, not a feature I use, I actually rarely do a zip code database search but it can come in handy to put just one object on an existing favorites list by holding on the one object, pressing enter and following the prompts to move one object from the database to a favorites list of your choice.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
My programming is State.County.Department (F.S.D). I use FL=0 for national channels. Someplace as large as Los Angeles is treated like another state. I do it this way because you can use the menu selection (start with button on left side of radio) and see alpha descriptions to toggle on.off.

I've been able to manage statewide systems this way. What I end up with is the State in the FL (50 states and we've got 100 keys). I'll have one system for conventional channels in each county and one for each trunked system I want to monitor in that county. They could get assigned the same quick key, but then you don't have ideal separate control over each. For example I have Multnomah county as one QK and P25 Portland as another. This way each shows up in the menu.

When it comes to statewide nets, it seems every state has one these days; I'll actually duplicate ALL of the TGs into each county. It's easier to maintain. BUT, I only associate SITES for the county of the QK. I start my Departments with QK 0 and rarely use many. I start my Sites with QK 99 and work backwards. I have the western United States organized in this manner, which where I drive. Works great for me.
I think my best but would be GPS for road trips, but if I assign sites to quick keys, it removes the ability to assign department quick keys and turn off everything other than state Police when I need to

If I don't assign sites to Site QKs then the scanner scrolls through all the sites until it finds one with a signal.

I think a FL QK per site would be better without a GPS.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You could easily duplicate a system and only include state police. Switch to that system when wanted. I do the same here as I have all of Sacramento county programmed (one QK for conventional, one for the P25 system), but it is a huge system and gets very busy during a typical work day. So I've duplicated the system to only include the TGs in the part of the county where I am. It's otherwise too many Department toggles or key presses to turn off all I don't want to hear.

As mentioned before, I program each site on its own QK. I don't have sites turned on that I don't need. However, many systems I monitor are Simulcast and are programmed as a single site (single set of frequencies) anyway. When it comes to making the scanner work more efficiently, sites are more important than TGs or your organization (of departments, etc.).

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
......but if I assign sites to quick keys, it removes the ability to assign department quick keys and turn off everything other than state Police when I need to
Not correct. You can use any Quick Key number to your sites, and a different one to a Department.

Site 1 could be QK 91, Site 2 could be QK 92 etc.

Departments could be 1-whatever you can remember for example.