MS Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Anyone looking at the system being used at the Aquarium? I've been trying but it's been stumping me. Backstory:

-One frequency (463.3125), repeated.

-At least 7 different channels, per received traffic

-Every channel is on 463.3125, but using different PL tones

So far, with casual monitoring, I've found:

Ch-3 is "facilities"
Ch-7 is the chat channel

They always announce what channel they're switching to, but never which one they're on. With the multiple overlapping conversations, and analog so no RIDs, I've never been able to work out which is which. I once thought their channel number may be in sequence with the ascending PL tones, but it seems 79.7 and 77.0 carry the most traffic.

medic9351301

Banned
a quick fcc check shows 9 licenses for this freq for the state of mississippi. if your hearing diffrent pl tones on this freq, your prob getting other stuff on that freq. you cant use one repeater for 7 channels on a system . even dmr is limited on this

my suggestion is to listen for words that might help you identify the other users.

License Search

the MISSISSIPPI AQUARIUM only has one set of freqs a input and output . and is not a dmr or nex edge emission.

it might be that your getting traffic from these other lincensed stations.

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'm receiving Aquarium traffic on all of those PL tones. Each is obviously a separate channel as none of the conversations overlap.

Example follows:

(On PL 79.7) "Lindsey" asks "Chelsea" to speak with the diving unit about the river exhibit.

"Chelsea" then appears on the same frequency, now with a PL of 82.5, and asks if anyone in the dive unit is on this channel. "Marco" answers and they talk about having him dive in the river exhibit to retrieve someone's glasses. "Marco" states he has to speak with "John" in the otter exhibit first. "Marco" then appears on the same frequency with a PL of 74.4 and asks if "John with Otters" is on that channel. They talk about the 11am day camp tour coming through the river exhibit.

Meanwhile, the scanner's delay times out and now, with a PL of 67.0, we hear "Connie" calling for "Ricky", asking if the fresh fish delivery for dolphins has arrived. "Ricky" states he'll check on the receiving channel...and again the delay times out and we're back on PL 79.7 where "Chelsea" is telling "Lindsey" she talked with "Marco" and they'll have to arrange for Facilities to retrieve the glasses with a catch pole...But they get interrupted by Security who is broadcasting the info that there's now a small Chihuahua service dog entering the Aquarium.

All of these conversations are repeated. All are on the same frequency.

FYI, I've seen this same set up many times on (usually) UHF frequencies. Mostly the old FB4 "Community Repeater" systems, but sometimes private businesses, such as this example.

medic9351301

Banned
i dont know then to be honnest with you i have never seen that in 30 years of in radio work. i guess its possible but i would think that if like security on pl a was transmitting and housekepping on pl c was talking it would be mixing siginals and no one would be heard but i could be wrong .

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
There used to be one of the UHF FB4 "community repeaters" where I lived 30 years ago that was running 15 different PL tones...plumbing companies, electricians, construction companies, etc.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
yes they can have a single repeater setup with multiple pl. the way to keep people from talking over another user is to enable the busy channel tx inhibit feature, every commercial radio i have seen for 20 years has this feature under some name. it won't allow PTT until the carrier drops completely, and is perfect for this situation. the real intent of the feature is to stop people from talking over other licensees with the same frequency, not everyone has the luxury of a clear channel with no other users within hearing range.

i would have sold them on digital rather than analog rather than this. but honestly when i was still in teh 2 way business i had a couple companies that refused to go digital and wanted to cheap out and use a similar setup. not one of them was happy with it after using it, and of course once or twice it was my fault for selling junk even though i made them sign a document before purchase that clearly stated they understand only one "channel" could talk at a time. i even went so far on one as to explicitly list their channels and use them as examples. but hey they customer is always right!?!

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Has this info been submitted to the database?
1- No. What's to submit? "Here's a frequency with the Aquarium on it, and they have multiple channels on it with multiple tones, but I don't know what each one is used for."
2- I do not use nor submit anything to the database here.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
1- No. What's to submit? "Here's a frequency with the Aquarium on it, and they have multiple channels on it with multiple tones, but I don't know what each one is used for."
2- I do not use nor submit anything to the database here.
Yet you pop it on the forums here.... Whatever.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Yes, I do. If somebody wants to submit it, that's on them. I made a conscious decision years ago not to submit here, especially after the reckless actions of one db admin in Washington who wanted to "fight me" (his words) because I wouldn't supply him with radio information from my agency.

Technoguy58

Well, to be honest, I have found a few of the D.B. admins to be testy in the past. I have had some of the same feelings. However, I have always found Mr milf to be a pleasure to deal with on the forums and I miss having him as an admin on the La and Ms systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.