MT500 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaft

Ive tried searching to no avail, but what is the antenna connector type used on the MT500?

Im looking for a BNC adapter that can screw onto my MT500's. I appreciate any info those that might know what it is.

commstar

Premium Subscriber
3/8 coarse thread as I recall (been a longtime)- if that helps in your quest

Lowa2

Are you talking about Motorolla MT500 Transceiver? If you are I can look at what we have at work.

mancow

Database Admin
I thought the 3/8 coarse is the CB type and the fine is the MT1000.

I do know that a Bendix/King antenna will thread in there just fine too.

commstar said:
3/8 coarse thread as I recall (been a longtime)- if that helps in your quest

shaft

Lowa2 said:
Are you talking about Motorolla MT500 Transceiver? If you are I can look at what we have at work.

Yep, Its the Motorola Mt500. Im looking for a BNC adapter for it.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can't seem to find an off the shelf MT500 to BNC adapter.

Lots of MT500 info out there though...

http://www.dimebank.com/~cak/k6dbg/mt500.html says
The top deck has a 3/32" mini phone jack for an alternative antenna. The jack is threaded 6-32, but I haven't been able to find a suitable adapter with threads. I found something close - mini phone jack, BNC female, larger threads (8-32) - and re-cut the threads. This made the adapter very fragile and prone to break off (in the radio). I gave up on that approach and started making adapters with short lengths of RG-174; this takes the stress of a large antenna cable off of the mini jack.

http://www.rfwiz.com/Comtelco/ComtelcoPortableAntennaIdentification.htm says
# HT - 5/16-32 x 1/2 for Motorola HT200, 210 & 220 MH, MT, MT500, MX600, older Uniden & Ritron

Here is a modern replacement antenna for anyone looking
http://salestores.com/antene246.html

Here is a PDF of the MT500 Parts List and Accessories List
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/parts-catalogs/mt500-parts-catalog.pdf

shaft

I appreciate the input, I've come across all those links in my previous Google searches with the exception of the salestores.com link. Thanks!

Im surprised that there isnt a true BNC adapter out there. The salestores site has the UHF antenna Im looking for so I'll just get some of those. Maybe Hamvention will bring me luck in finding what Im looking for.

Thanks all for your input.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
shaft said:
I appreciate the input, I've come across all those links in my previous Google searches with the exception of the salestores.com link. Thanks!

Im surprised that there isnt a true BNC adapter out there. The salestores site has the UHF antenna Im looking for so I'll just get some of those. Maybe Hamvention will bring me luck in finding what Im looking for.

Thanks all for your input.

I used to have just the adapter you are asking about. I believe I bought it from Centurion Antennas many years ago. I just looked, but I can't find it. :( I believe the Centurion company has since been sold to another company, so I don't know if the company who owns them now still sells that particular adapter anymore.

Josh

You won't find a screw-on BNC adapter because the MT500 radio's antenna jack doesn't have a ground like newer radios with SMA and other newer radios (like the HT1250).

You will have to make due running a short piece of low-gauge coax to a mini- 3/32" mono phone plug and a BNC on the other end. Doing it this way is the only way to get decent results.

-Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.