MTEMC Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Newest post on TN Rutherford County pages indicates thet the Trunking system has several Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation (MTEMC) TGs all of which are encrypted. Any thoughts on why an electric utility chooses to encrypt traffic? TG 7001 does pop up frequently and does appear E.

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Usually to protect customer account information, consider their infrastructure to be a security risk, or simply because they can.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Because more and more the Government is telling you do not worry about what we are doing we will tell you what we want you to know.
A few Counties near me have all Public Works Departments encrypted.
Limb pick up
Trash pick up
Pot hole patrol
Dog catcher
Grass cutters
Water line crews
That’s for public works officer safety. Because one time some guy used a scanner to listen to those cats and he was cutting down branches as they were picking up branches. Scary stuff.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Utilities are part of the National Security umbrella. Especially the Electrical Grid. There have been terrorist acts against them, both domestic, and foreign. (Not that you could tell by the usual security at most power installations lol.) They seem more worried that you will shoot at them as they cut off your lights for not paying that bill.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Utilities are part of the National Security umbrella. Especially the Electrical Grid. There have been terrorist acts against them, both domestic, and foreign. (Not that you could tell by the usual security at most power installations lol.) They seem more worried that you will shoot at them as they cut off your lights for not paying that bill.
Stealing electricity seems to be a popular sport these days. Good point about the infrastructure risks though.

pdtek

Although it may seem a joke that utilities are not entitled to be considered part of public safety, I have been educated even more. Although most voice radio traffic is no issue, there are instances where encryption is practical. The real communications security issues involve SCADA.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Although it may seem a joke that utilities are not entitled to be considered part of public safety, I have been educated even more. Although most voice radio traffic is no issue, there are instances where encryption is practical. The real communications security issues involve SCADA.
I would agree with that. Basically any data that can be snatched out of the air is detrimental for both the company and the consumers. The data could be used maliciously, although that is over my head.

theking205

Feed Provider
Their main talkgroups are still Unencrypted on TACN. I believe they have alternative talkgroups with encryption on Rutherford and Lebanon systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.