• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS-2000 Programming

I recently bought a MTS-2000 of of eBay it was used but it works perfectly fine just a few scratches. I really want to program this radio so I can use it so I off of amazon a MTS-2000 RIB-less USB RS232 programming cable and then I also bought a Rs232 to usb adapter to connect it to my computer because I'm using a modern windows 10 computer I went to program it with DOSbox and It didn't read the radio I'm assuming that these cables don't work together like this and that's why its not reading it but i honestly have no clue can anybody help and lead me In the right direction.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
DOS won't support USB.

Many of us that dabble in older radios keep a -really- old laptop that will:
1. Run DOS natively
2. Has a real RS-232 port

I've got an older laptop that runs Windows XP with a true RS-232 port. I boot it up with a USB stick that has Rufus on it, that will run it in DOS mode. That will work for these older radios.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I program my MTS2000 radio using an XP operating system HP laptop equipped with only USB ports, and a RIB. Also, I use the same laptop and the RIB for programming my Astro Saber and XTS3000 radios. Although, it's been awhile since I programmed a PM400 and the HT750-1550 & CDM series radios, I sorta remember just using an USB cable and no RIB. I don't normally mess with what is referred as the Professional Series Radios.

I still mess with my Jedi Series (HT1000, MT2000 A4s & A7s, MTS2000, and Visar) radios; Astro Saber and XTS3000; XTS1500, 2500, and 5000 series; and the XTL5000 radios. In the near future, I'll be diving into the APX Series portables and mobiles.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I program my MTS2000 radio using an XP operating system HP laptop equipped with only USB ports, and a RIB. Also, I use the same laptop and the RIB for programming my Astro Saber and XTS3000 radios. Although, it's been awhile since I programmed a PM400 and the HT750-1550 & CDM series radios, I sorta remember just using an USB cable and no RIB. I don't normally mess with what is referred as the Professional Series Radios.

I still mess with my Jedi Series (HT1000, MT2000 A4s & A7s, MTS2000, and Visar) radios; Astro Saber and XTS3000; XTS1500, 2500, and 5000 series; and the XTL5000 radios. In the near future, I'll be diving into the APX Series portables and mobiles.

If you use the Windows CPS for the MTS2000, that would work.

Since the OP is talking about using DOS Box, it's not going to work.

DOS won't support USB.

Many of us that dabble in older radios keep a -really- old laptop that will:
1. Run DOS natively
2. Has a real RS-232 port

I've got an older laptop that runs Windows XP with a true RS-232 port. I boot it up with a USB stick that has Rufus on it, that will run it in DOS mode. That will work for these older radios.
If you use the Windows CPS for the MTS2000, that would work.

Since the OP is talking about using DOS Box, it's not going to work.
Where can I find the Windows CPS for the MT2000?

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
What are you planning on using the radio for? Unless you have a specific need for an MTS2000, it might just be worthwhile to invest in a newer radio. The next generation would be the XTS series, and XTS2500s and 5000s have come really far down in price. They program very easily on Windows, and the software and programming cable are both readily available. Sure it's a little more expensive, but when you factor in how much you'd spend on a DOS laptop, a rib box, and the time and frustration of getting the darn thing to work, it definitely pays itself off. I was given two Astro Sabers as my first P25 radios, and after a few months of fussing with their programming (and even bricking them a few times), I finally threw in the towel for a reasonably priced XTS5000. Never looked back.

Would you be willing to program my radio I could ship it out to you?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Where can I find the Windows CPS for the MT2000?
I could be wrong, I'm just a lowly internet user but I don't think Motorola had a CPS programming software for the MT2000 radio. I'm assuming you're referencing the MTS2000 radio model. It appears that the Motorola software archives do not have any Jedi series software listed even the MTS2000 since it is a CPS based program. I can see for not having any RSS programs. The oldest software listed was the Radius P1225 software.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
What are you planning on using the radio for? Unless you have a specific need for an MTS2000, it might just be worthwhile to invest in a newer radio. The next generation would be the XTS series, and XTS2500s and 5000s have come really far down in price. They program very easily on Windows, and the software and programming cable are both readily available. Sure it's a little more expensive, but when you factor in how much you'd spend on a DOS laptop, a rib box, and the time and frustration of getting the darn thing to work, it definitely pays itself off. I was given two Astro Sabers as my first P25 radios, and after a few months of fussing with their programming (and even bricking them a few times), I finally threw in the towel for a reasonably priced XTS5000. Never looked back.
Smart move to the XTS5000. I own ten of them, one XTS2500, and three XTS1500s. I use the XTS1500 and 2500 for my race car communications. Also, I have four Astro Sabers and three XTS3000s. I didn't find any difficulty with programming the Astro Saber and XTS3000 radios. I just wish that particular CPS had an easier and less cumbersome Channel Picklist feature like the Astro P25 Portable and Mobile CPS programs do.

I have well over 400 channels in 35 zone assignments programmed in my XTS5000 and XTL5000 radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had the same issue with my HT1250. It's worth checking your device manager on Windows. Posted below is a link for instructions on doing so with Windows 10. Ensure that your cord is on whatever port you need, and select the appropriate port on startup.

Pro series software is windows based, so that's not much of a challenge.
The OP was referring to a DOS based software that will not support USB. That's a whole different can of worms.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I could be wrong, I'm just a lowly internet user but I don't think Motorola had a CPS programming software for the MT2000 radio. I'm assuming you're referencing the MTS2000 radio model. It appears that the Motorola software archives do not have any Jedi series software listed even the MTS2000 since it is a CPS based program. I can see for not having any RSS programs. The oldest software listed was the Radius P1225 software.
The MTS2000 was one of the first radios to get Windows based "CPS". In early 2003. It is long NLA but like anything else, it's out there. It does not play nice on 64 bit versions of Windows, and officially is only supported up to Windows Vista. RVN4177N gave you the combo value meal deal, both MTS2000 CPS and MCS2000 CPS for the mobile companion.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The MTS2000 was one of the first radios to get Windows based "CPS". In early 2003. It is long NLA but like anything else, it's out there. It does not play nice on 64 bit versions of Windows, and officially is only supported up to Windows Vista. RVN4177N gave you the combo value meal deal, both MTS2000 CPS and MCS2000 CPS for the mobile companion.
For all intents and purposes, the MCS2000 is really a MTS2000 packaged as a mobile radio.