Multi-band hf wave ground plane antenna?

KB2GOM

I saw reference some years ago to a commercially available antenna for HF that looked like a giant quarter-wave CB antenna, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Can someone here point me in the right direction?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
What was the ground mounted HF antenna that looked like a small animal trap? I think from Comet...
DUMMY LOAD x 10.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Why do you say that? (I'm simply seeking info, not defending any particular manufacturer)
43ft verticals with an extensive ground radial system that use a 4:1 balun at the feed point are pretty bad but if you replace the balun with an auto tuner at the base they wake up and work great. The ground plane version is much shorter with less and smaller ground radials, it won't work very good on the lower bands and will be a low performer everywhere. If you replace the balun with an auto tuner it might work ok 20 20m and above but its pretty small for 40m.

I've spent years testing and playing with all kinds of antennas like this and after seeing how bad some work I would hate to see anyone pay good $$ for one.

KB2GOM

43ft verticals with an extensive ground radial system that use a 4:1 balun at the feed point are pretty bad but if you replace the balun with an auto tuner at the base they wake up and work great. The ground plane version is much shorter with less and smaller ground radials, it won't work very good on the lower bands and will be a low performer everywhere. If you replace the balun with an auto tuner it might work ok 20 20m and above but its pretty small for 40m.

I've spent years testing and playing with all kinds of antennas like this and after seeing how bad some work I would hate to see anyone pay good $$ for one.
Ok, got any recommendations for a 40-meter capable vertical I can mount on a pole attached to my deck?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Ok, got any recommendations for a 40-meter capable vertical I can mount on a pole attached to my deck?
A 1/4 wave on 40m is about 32ft and you can get 33ft telescoping fiberglass masts for about $125 that will hold up a 1/4 wave wire vertically, but you will need a good ground radial system or it won't work. You can also shorten the 1/4 wave some, maybe down to 20ft tall with a loading coil or trap and it will still work ok but it still needs that ground radial system.

There are some multi band verticals that cover 40-10m or 40-6m that work ok and don't need an extensive ground radial system like the Cushcraft R8 but they are pricy and may be out of production. Many if not most no ground radial verticals that cover 40m don't work well but the Cushcraft series is not bad.

Can you run a wire out horizontally? Something like a resonant End Fed Half Wave 64ft long will work 40, 20, 15 and 10m and when installed horizontal 20-30ft off the ground will put out a better signal than most 40m verticals. Plus much of the regional activity within a few hundred mi on 40m is skywave or NVIS which a horizontal antenna does real well but a vertical does not.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Here's one from antennas.com...
I think the tower comes with it.

(oh crap, you said vertical)

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Here's one from antennas.com...
I think the tower comes with it.

(oh crap, you said vertical)
Yes, I think this is what the OP needs.