• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multi Radio on one antenna system

marczg

I'm working on a in-building radio communication system and I want to use 2 or 3 mobile radios connected through one cabling/antenna system.
Is this possible to do using either a combiner or some sort of splitter? I need it be able handle transmitting and receive.
And is there anything I should be concerned about when doing this (power, signal loss etc.) ??

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are these radios all using the same frequency? Are they all different bands?

There are combiners that will do this, but the design depends on frequency separation, etc. There is a loss involved, and it can be 3dB or a LOT more. It's usually easier/better to just run dedicated antennas.

Last edited:

marczg

The radios will be on the same band (UHF). They need to be programmed with 6 frequencies that could be used as needed.
Its being installed in a hi-rise building with coax cabling and multi antennas placed strategically throughout the building.
So we are trying to cut out having to run extra cabling and antennas if its possible to do with one combiner etc.

tlemke940

Feed Provider
you may need to look into using one radio and use a turn panel and remotes coming off of it that way all 3 locations can use the same radio. or you need to set up 6 radios (1 for each CH you want to use) with a combiner and have a turn panel on each connected to a console at each location. this can be done via copper or via IP depending on the setup you want to use. you might want to look in to JPS interoprability, Telex, and CPI. those are just a few but thay might fit what you need depending on setup.

prcguy

With all radios in the same band and wanting to use many frequencies within that same band the only cost effective way to do that is a separate antenna for each radio. There are ways to remote radios or to use filters or other methods but that would take some engineering and a lot of $$. Just install several antennas and keep them as far from each other as you can.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The radios will be on the same band (UHF). They need to be programmed with 6 frequencies that could be used as needed.
Its being installed in a hi-rise building with coax cabling and multi antennas placed strategically throughout the building.
So we are trying to cut out having to run extra cabling and antennas if its possible to do with one combiner etc.

A "control station combiner" would do that. But it's going to be expensive. And it really hits the power output. http://dbspectra.wpengine.com/specifications/VHF_and_UHF_CSC_(118-512_MHz).pdf

I agree, separate radios or a tone remote setup.

Or, one radio, leaky coax system, which isn't easy.
Or, WiFi/LTE radios and make use of what's already built out.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
A "control station combiner" would do that. But it's going to be expensive. And it really hits the power output
As evidenced by my stack of them from failed implementations. We always gave the customer credit for the combiner but wouldn’t take it back so I inherited them. 30 dB loss is just a tad too much.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As evidenced by my stack of them from failed implementations. We always gave the customer credit for the combiner but wouldn’t take it back so I inherited them. 30 dB loss is just a tad too much.
But there are a few success stories. One of my local dispatch centers uses one for VHF consolettes (conventional resources to a nearby site) but if I weren't attempting to utilize directional antennas somewhere where there is already portable coverage I wouldn't even attempt short haul CSCs. Had a couple of long haul units work out pretty well in the past as well at a different dispatch center. If implementing directly to a DAS, insertion loss through a CSC may be negligible especially if line amps can be used on the DAS.

Ubbe

I used a hybrid combiner for 4 radios in the 400MHz band and it will reduce the signal a lot, 7dB, but much better than having several antennas in the room that pump their RF into headsets and other devices sensitive to RF.

I think it was $200 15 years ago and has to be available from most filter companies.

/Ubbe

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber

Isnt the answer to use a 30db amplifier? /s