Multiband discone antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
Can someone give me an exact list of materials needed to build my own mutiband discone antenna. I'm wanting to listen in on everything in my area. Potosi Abilene tuscola etc.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Can someone give me an exact list of materials needed to build my own mutiband discone antenna. I'm wanting to listen in on everything in my area. Potosi Abilene tuscola etc.
Might be cheaper just to buy one depending on the cost of materials. In the link provided in one of the other posts in the thread it looked between $100 &$130. You can pickup a diamond discone for as low as $89.99 plus shipping.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
I'm broke as a joke so I'm trying to build one myself. I wish I could afford to purchase one from the net.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hey, hey, hey, when you see me walking along the highway picking up cans and bottles, give me a friendly honk. Morse code please or I won't know it's you. ;)

I purchased that Tram antenna I noted for can and bottle money. It swept well enough on an analyzer from 100 MHz to 1.3 GHz, with the dips it lists for transmitting.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Hey, hey, hey, when you see me walking along the highway picking up cans and bottles, give me a friendly honk. Morse code please or I won't know it's you. ;)

I purchased that Tram antenna I noted for can and bottle money. It swept well enough on an analyzer from 100 MHz to 1.3 GHz, with the dips it lists for transmitting.
Looks good. Is there an option for a top element?

pak715

I just ordered the tram on ebay for $37.00 shipped free to replace the ol radio shack I still have up there. Thing is you cant buy the parts you need that cheap. Dang my 1/4 wave copper wire ground plane (home made) cost me that much or more. Rake some leaves, cut some lawns. You can do it. Best of luck.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Looks good. Is there an option for a top element?
The option would be to purchase a different Tram model or different brand of discone, depending on what band/frequency range a vertical would offer.

As pak715 noted, the 1410 can be purchased/shipped for around $37 from eBay. That is quite germane to this thread and the OPs subsequent posts, as the materials and tools to build one will cost more than $37.

spacellamaman

i realize you are broke but having many times done the same thing you are wanting to do i can tell you its going to be tricky getting even junk components of the right type etc and get it constructed for less than fifty bucks, at least easily and if you count in time and effort.

i have been more than pleased with this one:

Sky-band Antenna | Scanner Master

its not the biggest or the smallest but i suddenly can pick up the local airport awos. its over ten miles thru the woods away from me and of 5 watt power. i have tried all sorts of things over the years and never been able to recieve the awos, and never thought i would. the bottom of the radials is about 5.5 feet off the ground so its really not all that high up mounted. btw the mount is an old dish tv tripod and some scrap pvc.

also just using RG-6 scrounged up somewhere thrift store or dumpster at some point, with coax adapters on each end.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
i realize you are broke but having many times done the same thing you are wanting to do i can tell you its going to be tricky getting even junk components of the right type etc and get it constructed for less than fifty bucks, at least easily and if you count in time and effort.

i have been more than pleased with this one:

Sky-band Antenna | Scanner Master

its not the biggest or the smallest but i suddenly can pick up the local airport awos. its over ten miles thru the woods away from me and of 5 watt power. i have tried all sorts of things over the years and never been able to recieve the awos, and never thought i would. the bottom of the radials is about 5.5 feet off the ground so its really not all that high up mounted. btw the mount is an old dish tv tripod and some scrap pvc.

also just using RG-6 scrounged up somewhere thrift store or dumpster at some point, with coax adapters on each end.
How is the sky band antenna compared to a discone with a whip on top? Looks to receive the same frequencies from what I have compared. Like the price.

spacellamaman

well if i can ever get around to removing the screw at the top of the sky band discone, and happen to discover that its 3/8-24 thread as i hope it is, ill let ya know.

hmmmm......ummmm....well i fully intend to....i was going to do so when i raised the mast another 3 foot section...which i just got done doing.....dang i wish i had forgotten the whole thing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.