• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multiple antennas on home - question on adding GMRS base antenna or other antenna(s)

N-L-M

Currently have CB antenna (attached to side of home) and multi-band scanner monitoring antenna (mounted on chimney) on the one side of the home about 20' apart. Thinking of adding a GMRS antenna (J Pole) to the home (If I decide to move forward getting a GMRS license and other equipment) connected with LMR 400 cable.

My question is adding a GMRS antenna or any other antenna (possibly digital tv).

- Looking for advice of placement location in relation to other antennas?

- Minimum distance apart?

- Other things I want to consider?

- Thought about putting an attic antenna for GMRS or the Digital TV. I am sure there are downsides to this. Years ago I had a CB antenna in the attic and it worked pretty well - before I was able to get the outside installed.

Thank you

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The biggest key is vertical separation of at least 10-20 feet for transmitting antennas to prevent interaction. The challenging one will be keeping your DTV receiver happy from GMRS. Most DTV is UHF and most DTV receivers are trash cans for keeping nearby UHF LMR out. You'll want to keep your DTV antenna as far as vertically away from your GMRS. The CB antenna should not bother it as much, but then again, most DTV front ends are like Bowelturds as far as overload rejection.

I use an indoor amplified antenna from Antennas Direct (I'm close to pretty much all ATL DTV) and it gets bothered when I key up an 800MHz or UHF portable in the same room. Knocks out reception on my Samsung 50" OLED.

N-L-M

The biggest key is vertical separation of at least 10-20 feet for transmitting antennas to prevent interaction. The challenging one will be keeping your DTV receiver happy from GMRS. Most DTV is UHF and most DTV receivers are trash cans for keeping nearby UHF LMR out. You'll want to keep your DTV antenna as far as vertically away from your GMRS. The CB antenna should not bother it as much, but then again, most DTV front ends are like Bowelturds as far as overload rejection.

If only one antenna is being used at a time (no other devices are on) - does the vertical separation still matter?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If only one antenna is being used at a time (no other devices are on) - does the vertical separation still matter?

Yes.

Antennas in close proximity can impact the radiation patterns. In other words, two or more antennas close together can make one or more of the a bit directional.

Other issue is that the RF energy from the transmitting antenna can get into nearby antennas. That RF will find its way down the coax to the receiver. Too much RF in the receiver will temporarily deafen it. If the antennas are too closely spaced and/or there's a lot of RF power involved, it can physically damage the receiver.

I think the 20' advice given above is a good place to start.

As for installing in attics, that can work OK, but just make sure there isn't any metal component to your roofing materials or any insulation (foil backing vapor barrier).

N-L-M

As for installing in attics, that can work OK, but just make sure there isn't any metal component to your roofing materials or any insulation (foil backing vapor barrier).

This house has aluminum siding- so I guess that would be a problem.

Last edited:

celestis

I use an indoor amplified antenna from Antennas Direct (I'm close to pretty much all ATL DTV) and it gets bothered when I key up an 800MHz or UHF portable in the same room. Knocks out reception on my Samsung 50" OLED.
My HDHomerun box's tuner got damaged by 4 watts out of an XTS3000

So lame for such a neat little box